Mothering Forum banner

So over it...

733 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  susanmary 
#1 ·
DD is 14 months and I am so over it! I'm bone tired from nursing 6+ times a night over 8 hours. I'm tired of the sheer intensity with which she demands to nurse. I'm tired of the pinching and squirming. I'm tired of her not eating solids for me, but she will for dad or grandma if I'm not home. I'm tired of my whole relationship with her being about my boobs. I'm tired y'all and I don't know what to do!

#2 ·
Sounds like it may be time to start setting some limits. Nursing is a relationship and it has to be done with the wants and needs of both parties considered. You know how often she would like to nurse, so now figure out how often you would like to nurse and start working toward an arrangement that can work for both of you.

That may mean night weaning, or limiting night nursing. It may mean slowly moving toward only nursing at certain times of the day instead of on demand.

That's ok. It's hard sometimes to switch your mind set from the nursing needs of an infant (on demand, 24 hours/day) to the nursing needs of a toddler which for some means shifting to a new arrangement that helps you maintain your sanity.

#3 ·
Come here and vent! I so understand what you are going through.

Don't worry about solids! If she's growing well and is active, she probably doesn't need THAT much solids.

Go out. It might sound more tiring, especially if you are sleep deprived, but if you take her to the park, or for long walks in the stroller, or just grocery shopping, chances are she won't ask to nurse that often, and maybe she'll sleep better at night.

Hugs. It will get better.

#4 ·
I did decide to nightwean. From 12 am to 7 am no milk. The first night she was upset about it, but seemed to understand when I told her that the milk is sleeping and will wake up when it's light outside. She did cry every time she woke, but it was really more of a whine. She laid on my chest and I rubbed her back until she fell asleep. The second night she was up much less and only cried once for just a few moments on my chest. Really it hasn't been anywhere near as much of a betrayal as I thought it would be, and her daytime disposition has improved. Perhaps the boobs were keeping her up at night! Lol!

#6 ·
I night weaned at that age too and also found it quite easy. I had two nursing and literally was so sleep deprived I thought I might just die.

My toddler I night weaned completely, my younger one doesn't nurse from bedtime to at least four am. I am thinking this summer to switch him to when the sun comes up... so it gets later! 4 am still seems quite early.

Glad it worked out for you.

#8 ·
Susanmary- she still wakes once or twice before its time to nurse again, but really just wants reassurance. She goes back to sleep easily. When it's time to nurse again she basically stays latched on for an hour or two in the bed, lol!

Mamazee, it's true, I was really close to throwing in the towel. Now I am reinvigorated! Lets here it for 4 hours of uninterrupted sleep!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.