12 weeks pregnant and my 2 year old wants to nurse ALL THE TIME - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-11-2013, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I'm 12 weeks pregnant with our second child and my son just turned 2 a few weeks ago.   Until last week he was nursing maybe 3 times a day plus naptime, and every few hours at night. Suddenly now he wants to nurse EVERY HOUR during the day and night. I can handle it during the day for the most part (and sometimes I can distract him) but nighttime is driving me crazy and I'm exhausted.Is it normal to have a drastic increase in the amount of nursing when you are pregnant? I thought that toddlers usually nurse less because there is less milk.... is it just my sensitive little guy's personality? Have others experienced this?

#2 of 4 Old 04-14-2013, 07:54 PM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)

Bumping this up! Anyone have experiences to share?

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#3 of 4 Old 04-15-2013, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I found the opposite to be the case: the toddler nursed more when there was less milk. I suspect it was an attempt to increase the supply. I found this also happened with both of my kids when I could tell that my body was gearing up to ovulate: they would nurse more and put it off for a few more days.

#4 of 4 Old 04-15-2013, 03:51 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Have you increased solids and other liquids since your milk supply has dropped?  That might help a bit.  I'm 10 weeks along and my just-turned-2 year old is also nursing a bit more during the day but I believe it's because I night-weaned her a week ago.  The night-weaning went really well (thankfully because I couldn't handle the aversion I was having a night) but I think she is making up for it during the day.  We just recently introduced an "almost done" warning followed by a 3-2-1 countdown to allow me some more control over ending daytime nursing sessions.  Prior to being pregnant she was nursing anytime, anywhere, on demand.  I would also suggest reading the book Adventures in Tandem Nursing if you haven't already - it might give you some tips if you'd like to implement some limits with your toddler.  Best of luck!

“A woman in Birth is at once her most powerful, and most vulnerable. But any woman who has birthed unhindered understands that we are stronger than we know.” –Marcie Macari

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page