18 months old-Wants to nurse ALL DAY LONG. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-25-2013, 02:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)

I am over it. I am SOOOO over it. I have been pregnant and/or nursing for 7 years which I know by many here on MDC isn't that long but whatever.

I am over it. I HATE it. I don't want to do it.  I DESPISE NURSING THIS KID.  HATE IT. 

I can't put him on milk because of dairy allergies. I won't give him formula because ewww. "Everyone" says they need to nurse or formula/whole milk till 2 years old because of the fats. 

I don't think I can take 6 more days let alone months.  

So what do I do???

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2013, 04:00 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Idk mama but I am right there with you
Old 04-26-2013, 08:48 AM

Whole milk/formula is simply a convenient source of fats. If you can get lots of healthy fat into him through his diet then they aren't really needed. I'd set limits slowly and maybe you'll find that you can tolerate 3 or 4 sessions a day much better than the constant demands. I hope you can find a balance that works for you. Toddler nursing is no picnic!
Old 04-26-2013, 10:28 AM

What are you currently doing to curb the nursing? I found it helpful to keep a toddler busy with activities. When my daughter went through a toddler phase of incessant nursing, I tried to find things she liked to do more than nurse. We went to the park, library storytimes, a playgroup, swimming (during the summer). She still nursed maybe 3 times a day, but she wasn't hanging off of me all the time when she was busy.

There is really no rule that you have to nurse until 2 years old. I'm not sure who "everyone" is to you, but if you think about it, you've already nursed longer than over 90% of the American population. I don't mean to make it sound like a contest of who can nurse the longest, my point is that you are far from the only person wanting to wean at this time. My son weaned at 18 months old.

My son is also dairy allergic, but he likes rice milk. It has a sweet flavor that I think tastes most similar to "regular" milk. I'm not sure how the fat content compares to whole milk though.
Old 04-26-2013, 07:38 PM

Seven years!? Wow! I've been at it for a little over 2.5, and I thought that was a good long while. that said, if you are not enjoying it anymore (or the constant nature of it anyway), then you certainly have a right to decrease or wean. I'm not uber-familiar with the fat thing, but agree with the PP who said there are other ways to get healthy fats into your toddler's diet. And there's your own mental and relational health to consider too. But if you can stand to nurse some, just not all of the time, then maybe that's the path to try... Distraction, setting some limits, cuddling when the nursing is about comfort or affection? Good luck!
Old 05-05-2013, 06:05 AM

I've only been nursing for just under 3.5 years straight. But I haven't slept in that time except for one night and now my ds 16 months is getting molars and grinding on my boob all night. I kerp trying to wait until at least 18 months. Lucky for me he is starting full time daycare the end of this month. I agree with a pp who said keep them busy, lots of mama dates, park dates , story time, and I find the days and nights I nurse on demand I am ready to entirely wean and the days he nurses only during day a couple times, sweetly without him grinding I'm actually happy to continue... Start with cutting back. Also my ds hates both formula and milk but he will take either in a smoothie in his sippy cup. Even if you just add a banana and a few berries or just a chunk of banana to milk will LO have that?

crochetsmilie.gif       placenta.gif encapsulated my placenta!   toddler.gif        blogging.jpg          lactivist.gif       familybed1.gif    pos.gif Jan 2012 and planning a hbac.gif!!
Old 05-05-2013, 06:54 AM

I was never any good at pumping, but is that something you could do? Offer pumped milk in a sippy cup to begin the transition to other things.

User Tag List