Fluids? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-27-2013, 12:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 18 almost 17 month old does not drink fluids aside from nursing. I have tried every manner of sippy cups there are. He will drink out of a normal cup but is still too small to do it on his own and only a sip or two if I hold it. How do you get your kids to get fluids from other sources. It is starting to get really warm here and I would love if he would drink more fluid. Or just take fluid throughout the day so that there is no so much emphasis on nursing.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2013, 12:31 PM

Have you tried a straw cup? My DD used a soft straw cup months before taking to a sippy. Also while learning, I removed any valves so she didn't need to suck but the water would pour out of the sippy. In the meantime I'd use the open cup. A sip or two are a good start, I'd simply offer a lot and make sure LO saw me drink lots too.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:39 PM

truedat.gif

My son was right about 18 months (and still almost nursing exclusively) just before the warm weather came.  I got a variety of cups for him, and for us the key was really just letting him play with them a little.  For his personality, he really just wanted to see how they worked before he used them.  I tried to only rely on the sippy cups for car rides or when out.  At home we used mostly open cups, and while there was definitely about a week or so that he just dumped the water out, he got that out of his system pretty quick.  Most of the dumping happened when he wasn't actually thirsty.  When he was thirsty he would drink first...then I just had to be quick enough to get the cup away.  He did need a bit of help at first, but the entire process went a lot faster than I thought it would.  Seriously just a week or two, so long as you are willing to let him spill a bunch of times to learn how it all works.  If you try to avoid the spills it might take a little longer.  Also, if he is super reliant on nursing it might take him a little bit to make the connection between being thirsty and having water as opposed to nursing.  I also want to say that I don't think it really cut down on his nursing frequency all that much, at least not for us.

Mommy to DS born 11-10-10  wave.gifAnd DD born 6-3-13 baby.gif  

User Tag List