Not sure how best to BF at night... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 05-12-2013, 08:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, since Bug was born I have alwasy switched boobs at each feed during the night. I tend to overproduce, and I work FT, so the idea of waking up with an ENGORGED breast and heading out for 8 hours was hell. Now, though, my 20 month old son is about 30lb, and I'm finding it very hard to move him at night. Normally, I'll sit up, scoot him over to the other side, and lie down...how do other mommas do this???

Lactivist-athiest-feminist wife to DH hola.gif , mommy-in-training to beautiful DS Kai, 9/2011 joy.gif

namaste.gif,intactivist.gif,familybed1.gif, saynovax.gif

#2 of 7 Old 05-12-2013, 11:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
A great skill to learn is to be able to lean over to nurse from the breast farther away from the baby. Maybe women with small breasts can't do this, but my medium breasts and I could. It takes a bit of practice, but work on leaning over just right and see how it works for you.
#3 of 7 Old 05-12-2013, 04:45 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
I've never mastered the lean over and feed from the other side technique. I leave the baby where she is and swap sides myself. I usually kind of roll over the top of her on my hands nd knees. Sometimes I need to shuffle her over a little bit afterwards but I just slide my hand under her and slide her over.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#4 of 7 Old 05-12-2013, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I have one bigger boob and one smaller. He lies on the side of my small boob and nurses side lying, I can lean over further and he nurses from the bigger boob without having to switch sides. Weird I know! That's breastfeeding for ya.

At home amongst the redwoods treehugger.gif with my husband and my son, born 7/5/11 familybed1.gif  Instant CNM, just add caffix.gif !

#5 of 7 Old 05-12-2013, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter

Good tips...thinking about it, I suspect it's also for my comfort (bad back) that I switch, so maybe it's time to invest in a bigger bed so I have more space.

Thanks ya'all! I'll see how it goes tonight leaving him in place and me moving

Lactivist-athiest-feminist wife to DH hola.gif , mommy-in-training to beautiful DS Kai, 9/2011 joy.gif

namaste.gif,intactivist.gif,familybed1.gif, saynovax.gif

#6 of 7 Old 05-13-2013, 03:57 AM

My guy is still little, but I'm going to add that we always sleep on a spread-out receiving blanket (to get those drips and dribbles) and it's easier to slide the entire blanket over with LO on top. Then, I get up and switch to the other side.

&
#7 of 7 Old 06-03-2013, 10:06 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I experienced night feeding problems particularly until the ages of 6-7 months, when I had to sit up, bother about the hold and change their diapers. After that critical age was over, they all learnt to discover by breasts that  I still leave free from the confines of the bra and wearing a loose or unbuttoned shirt. But I take care not to sleep with my back towards the babies so long as we shared the bed.

Uzra

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page