Tips for nursing 18 month old at Disney World in very hot August? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 05-16-2013, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

anyone have experience with this they'd like to give? thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 05-17-2013, 07:54 AM

I'm not sure what kind of advice you are looking for. How to be discreet?
#3 of 8 Old 05-19-2013, 01:09 PM

My best advice for nursing in busy places is to plop toddler on your lap facing you and nurse her sitting upright. That way she can stay latched on but still have a decent view of the busy surroundings. Other than that, treat it nonchalantly and simply nurse whenever, wherever needed. Some moms have great luck nursing in a carrier but it may be challenging with a big, squirmy toddler. Good luck!
#4 of 8 Old 05-19-2013, 03:27 PM

Find a calm quit spot, if people notice what your doing they usually respect your privacy.

#5 of 8 Old 05-19-2013, 03:37 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
The Ergo saved me. I nursed my 2 year old and was able to keep going.

SAHM to Chloe«- 6/2008 (10 lbs, 5 oz), Hannah- 9/2010 (9 lbs, 12 oz), Liam- 2/2013 (9 lbs, 6 oz)

#6 of 8 Old 05-20-2013, 09:40 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry, not just discreet advice, but if there is any good places to stop, how much should I offer if it's going to be really hot so he doesn't get dehydrated, etc.

#7 of 8 Old 06-05-2013, 07:41 PM

I nursed my first at Disney World about four different ages- the last was around 17 months old.  Learning to nurse in a carrier was great, but very hot.  I found several things that worked for me-

sitting in a quiet corner of the park with the stroller in front of me blocking the view of people

sitting at the end of rides (usually waiting for the person I was with to finish riding)- it is dark and quiet in these areas

finding rides that are dark and quiet to nurse during:  Epcot has several (the planet Earth, the boat ride in Mexico, the Nemo ride, and the movie in Canada), also I have nursed on Pirates of the Carribean and the Lilo and Stitch ride- basically anything dark where you just sit for several minutes :)

There are also several nursing stations throughout the parks that are air conditioned, have changing tables, bathrooms, TVs and rocking chairs.  They are awesome.  They are just called baby stations and you can find them on the park maps.  There are many, many moms with nursing toddlers in Disney- you will be amazed at how many you'll see.  I also found a good nursing top with easy access to be helpful so that I could whip it out when needed to keep everyone happy.

#8 of 8 Old 06-06-2013, 09:39 AM

I nursed my 2 yo at Disney World in March...I used the little care stations, which are really nice for changings, getting out if the heat to eat packed lunches, etc. I also whipped it out here, there and everywhere. I no longer worry about offending people w my nursing toddler, though, so I wasn't looking to see if I was. I doubt it was offensive to the other people there...everyone is on vacation and kind of suspending their idea of normal anyway. Have fun. Our toddler was in hog heaven! I'm sure yours will love it, too!

Tags
Travel , Breastfeeding

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page