Ped said that "breastfeeding beyond 12 m will ruin her teeth"?!?! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-29-2013, 09:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My dd just had her 12 month checkup today, and despite her excellent health, her pediatrician told me to stop breastfeeding "as soon as possible, because it will ruin her teeth". She described kids she'd seen whose teeth were badly eroded by breast milk. She was adamant: "you should stop by 15 m at the latest but preferably by 12m."

I was too shocked to respond properly - this same doctor was so supportive when I struggled with breastfeeding in the early weeks. The practice has a LC on staff who I love. And I thought the "official" recommendation was a 1 year MINIMUM?!?!

My own confusion notwithstanding, my DH was there and tends to follow advice if it comes from someone in a white coat. So, can someone help me find some evidence that breastfeeding is ok from a dental hygiene perspective?
#2 of 10 Old 05-29-2013, 09:13 PM

http://kellymom.com/health/baby-health/tooth-decay/

Trust kellymom for great breastfeeding info!

crochetsmilie.gifWife to wonderful DH (8/04) and SAHM to DD1 (4/08) and DD2 rainbow1284.gif (7/13)

#3 of 10 Old 05-29-2013, 10:44 PM - Thread Starter

Perfect - thank you for the link!
#4 of 10 Old 05-30-2013, 05:30 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yes, the official word of the American Academy of Pediatricians is that it last for a minimum of one year, and after that as long as mother and baby want. It also says something about it being important that pediatricians have accurate information about breastfeeding. Sigh.

I am going to find the statement.

http://pediatrics.aappublications.org/content/129/3/e827

And here's the word from the American Dental Association: http://www.ada.org/3143.aspx
#5 of 10 Old 05-30-2013, 06:32 AM

Sorry they said that. I would bring the Who and Lll statements on breastfeeding as well as info for the next lll meeting smile.gif
#6 of 10 Old 05-30-2013, 06:53 AM

Sorry he said that, and is causing trouble with your husband's views. If necessary, find another expert to set the record straight with your husband.
#7 of 10 Old 05-30-2013, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)

You should send the ADA study to your doctor with a note about how she is providing outdated information.

#8 of 10 Old 06-05-2013, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Remind your dh that doctors are given either 1) absolutely none or 2) maybe a tiny bit of breastfeeding related education during their schooling. Anything they're saying is personal opinion, not medical advice.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#9 of 10 Old 06-22-2013, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb2102 View Post

My dd just had her 12 month checkup today, and despite her excellent health, her pediatrician told me to stop breastfeeding "as soon as possible, because it will ruin her teeth". She described kids she'd seen whose teeth were badly eroded by breast milk.

I'm sorry, but.... WHAT?!! biglaugh.gifThat's the silliest thing I've ever heard! Breast milk contains sugars, yes...but it also has many anti-bacterial properties that help fight tooth decay, just as the kellymom.com article explains. The only thing that makes babies' teeth decay is diets high in sugar and lack of dental hygiene, just like any other human. Breast milk also provides such amazing nutrition and immunological benefits, even after 1 year, it's the best thing you can do!

Mostly SAH mama with DS1, 8yo DS2, 5yo DD1, 3yoDD2, born Aug 2014 & my awesome DH
#10 of 10 Old 06-22-2013, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)

My pedi dentist knew I was breastfeeding my almost three year old who did have the kind of decay that your ped is worried about and his only concern was nighttime nursing and he wasn't even pushy about that.

Tags
Breastfeeding Beyond Infancy , Dental

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page