SO HUNGRY!!! Best Snacks When You're Nursing Toddlers (and up!)? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 15 Old 07-03-2013, 02:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

My 26-month-old nurses day and night, like a newborn! wink1.gif  Seriously, it's pretty much on the hour every hour, often for long blocks - multiple times a night - plus he eats a ton of healthy food, fruits and veggies, etc. (our whole family is vegetarian).

So...I'm super hungry!!! yummy.gif  All.the.time.  We've cut back some on dairy, so I don't snack on raw cheese anymore...but I eat nut butters, homemade granola bars (with nut butter, chia seeds, dried fruit, walnuts + oats to boost supply), trail mix, popcorn w/ olive oil, veggies, fruits, nuts, hummus.  Sometimes sprouted grain bread w/ coconut oil and/or raw garlic (see? now I want to run to the kitchen, and I just ate!).

I feel like I need some more ideas for snacks that would be more satisfying.  Or perhaps I just need to continue my crazy grazing!!! drool.gif  In addition to snacks, I eat many small meals during the day.

Any recommendations?  Do you think I'm missing something nutritionally (particular vitamins, healthy fats, etc. - I do get a fair amount of avocados, too...and take DHA/ + food-based prenatal)?  Or just struggling to keep up with demand? (I have been back to my pre-pregnancy weight for a while)  If I don't get enough food and water, I feel really dizzy, tired and out of it.

Feel like I'm constantly eating!

Thanks!!! love.gif

~ Lucky wife of DH blowkiss.gifand loving mama to DS biggrinbounce.gif (04/11) ~

treehugger.gif * femalesling.GIF * ecbaby2.gif *cd.gif * familybed1.gif * bf.gif * namaste.gif *

#2 of 15 Old 07-03-2013, 02:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
When I'm really hungry like that I find regular protein works best for me.

Do you eat eggs? Or marinate and fry some tofu cubes and keep them in the fridge. I also like yoghurt mixed with nuts or trail mix but that might not fit with your lower dairy eating. Maybe you could just have the trail mix in that case.
pickle18 likes this.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

#3 of 15 Old 07-03-2013, 03:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, katelove!  I have been trying to keep hardboiled eggs in the fridge - hadn't thought about tofu, but did make a yummy caprese with tofu recently - that's easy enough to throw together and keep in the fridge. thumb.gif

~ Lucky wife of DH blowkiss.gifand loving mama to DS biggrinbounce.gif (04/11) ~

treehugger.gif * femalesling.GIF * ecbaby2.gif *cd.gif * familybed1.gif * bf.gif * namaste.gif *

#4 of 15 Old 07-03-2013, 10:06 PM

Yes, protein is key I think.  When I was nursing DS1 at about the same age my hormones were totally out of whack and I was SO TIRED.  My natropath recommened boosting protein and it really helped.

Oatmeal is a good source.  You could try steel cut oats (so GOOD!) or oatmeal cookies (I just made a batch of "trail mix cookies" tonight.  I use an oatmeal rasin recipe, cut the sugar in half, use whole wheat flour instead of white, and chop up a bag of trail mix (tonight was almond, pecan, dired cherries, raisins and a bit of chocolate then add extra raisins and dried cranberries).  Quinoa is also a good one.  There are some recipes for Quinoa pizza bites on Pinterest (uses eggs, don't know if you eat those!) that are really tastey and include lots of protein.

Now I'm just trying to get enough protein and enough WATER and I'm doing pretty well nursing two but pretty hungry some days too (like today, hense the cookies!!).  And I also do take prenatals still daily.  I know my milk would be fine without, but want to make sure I don't get depleted myself.

Good luck!

N, wife to my goofball K partners.gif and mamma to my EC grad D (July 2010) and my new little love S (May 2013).  Exploring the uncharted territory of tandem nursing with my two boys.

#5 of 15 Old 07-03-2013, 11:22 PM - Thread Starter

All good advice! smile.gif  I was just thinking today about incorporating more quinoa...I do eat oatmeal (thick cut rolled oats) for breakfast and one of my favorite power snacks is homemade granola bars with lots of those, pb, walnuts, chia, etc. in them.  I can easily put away a few of those a day! shy.gif

Eggs are good, and yes, I've stuck with the prenatals too...it sounds like I'm in the right direction (protein laser focus - I crave it!), just need to keep going and maybe switch it up with some new foods/ideas...oh, also love almond flour chocolate muffins, with eggs, flax, chia and walnuts...mmmmm - need another batch of those! love.gif

Like you said, drinking water like CRAZY here (which pairs nicely with a toddler who flips every time I have to pee, even though he's right there with me...orngtongue.gif).

Congrats/props to you for tandem nursing, mama!!!  That's awesome. thumbsup.gif

#6 of 15 Old 07-04-2013, 12:26 AM

This is just my limited experience but if my 2-year-old was nursing every hour i would wonder if he's getting enough nutrients overall in his diet. I'm all for extended breastfeeding but my understanding is that the urge to nurse is gradually supposed to go down and it sounds like your son is nursing as often as a newborn, like you mentioned. If i were you, i would offer him healthy snacks when he asks to nurse for at least half of the times he wants to nurse. That way he still gets the breastmilk he craves but he's also getting a more balanced diet. As much as you are probably against it, he might be craving meat. I would offer him some just to see, if you're open to it.
#7 of 15 Old 07-04-2013, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimordialMind View Post

This is just my limited experience but if my 2-year-old was nursing every hour i would wonder if he's getting enough nutrients overall in his diet. I'm all for extended breastfeeding but my understanding is that the urge to nurse is gradually supposed to go down and it sounds like your son is nursing as often as a newborn, like you mentioned. If i were you, i would offer him healthy snacks when he asks to nurse for at least half of the times he wants to nurse. That way he still gets the breastmilk he craves but he's also getting a more balanced diet. As much as you are probably against it, he might be craving meat. I would offer him some just to see, if you're open to it.

I actually started a thread about nursing frequency a while back - and found that we're not as much of outliers as I thought!  You're right - typically kids his age nurse less, but there's a wide range.  He is a super sensitive, high needs kiddo - so I think it nourishes and calms his system on many levels.

As for nutrients...this kid can EAT! orngbiggrin.gif  So I'm not at all worried he is not eating enough other healthy foods - he eats what we eat, lots of protein, veggies, fruits, whole grains, occasional dairy - organic, whole foods.  Leafy greens, etc. He is quite healthy, and consistently at/above the 95% for height & weight.  I'm also totally comfortable with him getting additional calories/nutrients from my breastmilk - vitamin A, fats, B vitamins, vitamin C...it's pretty awesome stuff!

The meat issue is always tricky - if I suspected he really needed it in his diet for whatever reason, I'd have to look into it.  But I'm not particularly open to it, if that makes sense. smile.gif

I just want to make sure I stay fueled to provide him with what he needs from me.  Nursing this often really doesn't bother me. 

#8 of 15 Old 07-04-2013, 05:22 AM

I usually have bananas and apples and some crakers...

#9 of 15 Old 07-04-2013, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickle18 View Post

I actually started a thread about nursing frequency a while back - and found that we're not as much of outliers as I thought!  You're right - typically kids his age nurse less, but there's a wide range.  He is a super sensitive, high needs kiddo - so I think it nourishes and calms his system on many levels.

As for nutrients...this kid can EAT! orngbiggrin.gif   So I'm not at all worried he is not eating enough other healthy foods - he eats what we eat, lots of protein, veggies, fruits, whole grains, occasional dairy - organic, whole foods.  Leafy greens, etc. He is quite healthy, and consistently at/above the 95% for height & weight.  I'm also totally comfortable with him getting additional calories/nutrients from my breastmilk - vitamin A, fats, B vitamins, vitamin C...it's pretty awesome stuff!

The meat issue is always tricky - if I suspected he really needed it in his diet for whatever reason, I'd have to look into it.  But I'm not particularly open to it, if that makes sense. smile.gif

I just want to make sure I stay fueled to provide him with what he needs from me.  Nursing this often really doesn't bother me. 

Oh okay, that all makes sense! He is blessed to have a mama who nurses him as much as you do at the age he is at, sadly that is almost unheard of. It sounds like its really good for him on many levels smile.gif

When it comes to snacks i would add some almond butter and raw honey on sprouted wheat bread, mmm so good and so filling. Smoothies are also great for filling up and adding good quality calories to your diet. You can put things like yogurt, spinach, strawberries, bananas, peaches, acai juice, which are all great while nursing.
pickle18 likes this.
#10 of 15 Old 07-08-2013, 10:01 AM

My just turned 2 year old nurses just about this much, day and night. I love her to death and I don't mind nursing either, most of the time. Just like your DS, she eats tons of healthy food, but needs to nurse for comfort and probably bonus nutrition too.

I also need tons of protein or I get dizzy and "hangry" (so hungry you're angry). I snack on baked chick peas (they taste kind of like corn nuts-super crunchy) hardboiled eggs, cheese, hummus and veggies, high protein homemade granola bars, etc. 

I have to make sure I eat really frequently, and protein every time I eat, otherwise I get all out of sorts. I think your "crazy grazing" is pretty much the way to do it smile.gif

2twins.gif DH, me, DD '11 blowkiss.gif and a new rainbow1284.gifbabyboy.gif born at home April '14! 

familybed2.giffemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif cd.gif goorganic.jpgh20homebirth.gif winner.jpg 

#11 of 15 Old 07-08-2013, 02:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShyingViolet View Post

My just turned 2 year old nurses just about this much, day and night. I love her to death and I don't mind nursing either, most of the time. Just like your DS, she eats tons of healthy food, but needs to nurse for comfort and probably bonus nutrition too.

I also need tons of protein or I get dizzy and "hangry" (so hungry you're angry). I snack on baked chick peas (they taste kind of like corn nuts-super crunchy) hardboiled eggs, cheese, hummus and veggies, high protein homemade granola bars, etc. 

I have to make sure I eat really frequently, and protein every time I eat, otherwise I get all out of sorts. I think your "crazy grazing" is pretty much the way to do it smile.gif

ROTFLMAO.gifOh my goodness...YES!!!!  It's worse than anything I remember from being pregnant.  And I don't think DH realizes that if I'm nursing DS, and I tell him I need food, it's like...I need food right this instant or I just might punch somebody!!! splat.gifwhistling.gif

These are all great ideas to remember (never tried baked chickpeas!) - made a new batch of granola bars w/ pb, walnuts & extra chia.  Been craving some delicious smoothies, PrimordialMind! yummy.gif  Lots of hardboiled eggs - should whip up more hummus, too...thanks!  Always glad to hear from others in the same boat, ShyingViolet. smile.gif

#12 of 15 Old 07-12-2013, 12:33 PM

Baked chick peas are so good. I toss them with olive oil and whatever seasonings I feel like and roast them at 400 degrees for like half an hour until they're crunchy. They're also good with coconut oil and cinnamon yummy.gif

2twins.gif DH, me, DD '11 blowkiss.gif and a new rainbow1284.gifbabyboy.gif born at home April '14! 

familybed2.giffemalesling.GIFnocirc.gif cd.gif goorganic.jpgh20homebirth.gif winner.jpg 

#13 of 15 Old 07-12-2013, 05:29 PM

Also think about fat levels. Sometimes what I need to fight the starving fuzzy head is some whole milk or some nuts (or candies I make with nuts, coconut oil, lemon, and a little maple syrup or honey)

ShyingViolet likes this.
#14 of 15 Old 10-22-2013, 10:37 PM

I know this is an old thread, but I have found Omega-3's and Iodine were two nutrients I was lacking. More seaweed for the iodine helped immensely, and switching to pasture raised eggs and milk for the higher omega-3's really helped neutralize my constant cravings. Good luck!
Springshowers likes this.

CD'ing, homebirthing, milk making school teacher. Supporting my family on my income and trying to get out of debt in 2013!
#15 of 15 Old 10-23-2013, 09:15 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks!!! I am in LOVE with seaweed lately and couldn't figure out why - I bet that's it!  Also have insisted on pastured eggs the past few months - I notice a big difference.   I think you are on to something. :)

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page