What's your breastfeeding age limit? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

What's your breastfeeding age limit?

sassyfirechick's Avatar sassyfirechick
11:31 AM Liked: 44224
#61 of 85
03-29-2014 | Posts: 1,644

DD/DS/DH - dear/darling daughter, son, husband.

No real support here at 29mos but I've stopped looking and made it clear to anyone asking it was none of their business and DD would stop when she's ready.  It's really a decision between mom and child.  So good for you, and keep it up so long as you are comfortable!

fruitfulmomma's Avatar fruitfulmomma
11:33 AM Liked: 32152
#62 of 85
03-29-2014 | Posts: 4,204
Quote:
Ex. DS, DD...all of them I'm completely lost,lol!

dear son, dear daughter

The top post here has some more - http://www.mothering.com/community/t/2080/what-does-ds-and-dd-mean-acronyms-abbreviations-and-emoticons

contactmaya's Avatar contactmaya
01:19 PM Liked: 2458
#63 of 85
03-29-2014 | Posts: 2,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabrielsma View Post

I'm breastfeeding my 21month son. I will like to stop at 2 but it looks like there is no end! I don't mind much him self weaning or going a little after 2 but I get no support from my husband or family. Everyone say he's too old to breastfeed and make negative comments. My husband just feels it's time to stop but I don't mind and my son don't want to stop! I could really use some support here!

OAN: please tell me what these abbreviations I'm seeing on all these posts mean. Ex. DS, DD...all of them I'm completely lost,lol!

Why not just let him go on for as long as he wants? He will naturally nurse less and less, starting around 2/1/2 in my experience. I just dont understand the rush. Tell your family to do a bit of research. Try kellymom.org/com. Why do husbands get away with such profound ignorance  when it comes to the best interests of their kids? As a mother, i found it necessary to learn alot, why cant dads do the same?

Gabrielsma's Avatar Gabrielsma
02:37 PM Liked: 6
#64 of 85
03-29-2014 | Posts: 11
I'm not really concerned or care about other people negativity when it comes to my son breastfeeding. I will attempt to ween him from the breast when he turns two but I will not turn him away if he insists. He is a finicky eater so I feel better knowing he is getting what supplements he needs from breastfeeding. He is a solid healthy boy so I don't feel to bad when he refuses food or eats just a little.
Sassy Susan's Avatar Sassy Susan
01:38 AM Liked: 8
#65 of 85
03-30-2014 | Posts: 14

With my older daughter I thought I would feed for six months, because that was everyone did.  However, she didn't like that idea.

Then I thought I would feed for 12 months, because then I could move straight onto cow milk and skip formula. However, although she could drink it, she certainly didn't want it as much as breastmilk.

Then I thought I would go to 2 years, as the WHO says so.  She wasn't keen on that either.

Then at 3 years, 9 months and 28 days, my perfectly healthy child developed an overwhelming infection and died later that day.

So I never did wean her.  

We have a second child now.   She can feed as long as she wants.

sassyfirechick's Avatar sassyfirechick
09:31 AM Liked: 44224
#66 of 85
03-30-2014 | Posts: 1,644
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassy Susan View Post

With my older daughter I thought I would feed for six months, because that was everyone did.  However, she didn't like that idea.

Then I thought I would feed for 12 months, because then I could move straight onto cow milk and skip formula. However, although she could drink it, she certainly didn't want it as much as breastmilk.

Then I thought I would go to 2 years, as the WHO says so.  She wasn't keen on that either.

Then at 3 years, 9 months and 28 days, my perfectly healthy child developed an overwhelming infection and died later that day.

So I never did wean her.

:Hug

Gabrielsma's Avatar Gabrielsma
12:32 PM Liked: 6
#67 of 85
03-31-2014 | Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassyfirechick View Post

hug2.gif
My God! So sorry for your loss! I know I will let him ween himself for the night feedings but during the day it will be tough with having my husband not supporting his continueing to breastfeed after 2. 😩
ag12345's Avatar ag12345
07:07 AM Liked: 42
#68 of 85
04-01-2014 | Posts: 7

I had so many problems breastfeeding starting w/ a milk gap that lasted a week after an emergency c-section, to not producing enough for my LO, using supplements, my milk getting fatter to make up for less quantity so lots of plugged ducts, etc. I had prayed to make it up to 1 year & I had read that benefits were seen when a woman continues to breastfeed after 1 year old.

I finally got my LO eating enough solid food to go to only 2 to 3 feedings a day-PM/ Nurse to sleep, wake up, & occasional afternoon when LO was almost 2Yrs. If we hadn't stop nursing every 4-6 hrs, then I don't know if I would still be breastfeeding.

On TV, you will see an ENFAMIL/ Nestle commercial about how babies only get about 25% OF THE DHA they need; DHA which their growing brains need until at least 3 years old. Nestle/ Enfamil created a toddler drink with added DHA for their growing brains!  

Numerous books state that breast-milk has the most DHA. The DHA in breast-milk is the most easily absorbed by baby. Since NOTHING beats mama's milk, I am trying to make it until at least 3 yrs old.  Still my LO does odd things at times that makes me want to stop like blowing raspberries while latched and shaking side to side while latched almost like motorboating ugh!

I know other kids do this too but most moms don't spell it out like I have. I have read that LOs sometimes make mom uncomfortable so I am sure others experience similar weird/ odd stuff from their LOs.

Also I seriously noticed less discomfort between feedings once we got closer to the 20month old mark. As a result, I believe it is healthier and easier to stop after at least 2 years. When moms stop around 1 year, many say their breasts really hurt for up to 2-3 weeks. Those who wait later tend say it was not a big deal to stop, especially since many were only night feeding by 3 years old.

My cutoff when I want to stop might be 4. With all the studies that showing BF'd babies do better in school, I will have to see if I breastfeed past 4. I pray my LO stops on own by 4 since self-weaning is easiest.

mamavan's Avatar mamavan
10:42 PM Liked: 5
#69 of 85
04-01-2014 | Posts: 15
Quote:

So I never did wean her.  

Oh my heart. Love and hugs to you, sweet mama.

In terms of breastfeeding, I'm currently breastfeeding my freshly two year old daughter and her almost three month old baby sister. No signs of stopping. All will be well! They will stop eventually. No need for me to rush it. I know that I'll miss these days (and nights, ha!) one day!

LorienIslay's Avatar LorienIslay
12:26 PM Liked: 113
#70 of 85
04-02-2014 | Posts: 53

If you had told me before my first was born that I would eventually nurse a 4 year old, I would have told you to give your head a shake.  My initial goal was six months, then I revised to a year, then to two years to get to the WHO recommendation... and after that, I just would never wake up one day and feel that my boy was too old. He was, after all, only one day older than the day before.   I seriously cut him back when I got pregnant just after her turned three, but in a fairly organic fashion.  After all, he was too busy playing with the neighbours after I got home from work, so that was an easy drop.  He gave up his nap on the weekends, so that was easy to give up.  I started getting up and out of bed before he woke in the morning, so that was an easy one to drop. 

We nursed before bed most nights until I had his sister the month before he turned four... after that, he opted to move out of the family bed (and slept in his own room with daddy laying with him to fall asleep), so he missed the before sleep nursing most of the time.  He still nursed a few times a week for the first two or three months of his sister being here, and then cut down to a few times a month, basically when the stars aligned :D  I think he last nursed at the end of January. Is he weaned? I guess, effectively, but if he asked to nurse and super needed it, and the time/place was right then I might / would probably agree. 

So, I'd say that we did child-led weaning, but also mother-directed.  I suspect it's really hard to do true child-led weaning without losing your ever loving mind.  I guided weaning, but never stopped at a point when he still needed it; he never cried for mama milk that I denied. 

Nursing an older child is WAY different than nursing an infant, or even a toddler.  The urgency is less, you can reason and negotiate with them, ask them for gentler nursing habits, ask them to wait... nursing an older child is awesome.  Don't knock it until you try it :)

Nazsmum's Avatar Nazsmum
12:36 PM Liked: 4193
#71 of 85
04-02-2014 | Posts: 2,877
Quote:

So I never did wean her.  

:HugSo sorry for your loss

01:07 PM Liked: 2458
#72 of 85
04-02-2014 | Posts: 2,148

Sassy susan, i am so sorry for your loss.

01:10 PM Liked: 2458
#73 of 85
04-02-2014 | Posts: 2,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by ag12345 View Post

My cutoff when I want to stop might be 4. With all the studies that showing BF'd babies do better in school, I will have to see if I breastfeed past 4. I pray my LO stops on own by 4 since self-weaning is easiest.

My ds1 was still nursing at 4, but seriously, it was only 2-3 a week. It was practically nothing. He may have continued to nurse until the day before his 5th birthday, but in all that time, it was less and less often.  I never refused, but he simply asked less and less. He  rarely nursed to sleep. Sometimes, but not often, he liked to nurse after preschool.

meemee's Avatar meemee
03:00 PM Liked: 1881
#74 of 85
04-02-2014 | Posts: 12,626

yup yup. the breastfeeding looks so different age to age

from 4 to 9 bf looked sooo different for us.

there is not only how many times a day to how long each time. by four it had reduced to only at bedtime. maybe 10 mins. by the time she was 7 or 8 it was maybe a minute if that a few times a month. 

on dd's 9th bday she saw a docum on bfeeding. she hadnt nursed for 4 months. she suddenly asked if she could nurse just to remember what it felt like. she tried maybe 10 seconds and said - ok i am done. i dont need this anymore. 

Renai's Avatar Renai
06:37 PM Liked: 10
#75 of 85
04-02-2014 | Posts: 75

Wow, I haven't been on this site in ... forever. But, when I find myself still bfing my 3yo, this was the place I turned, because where else can you find crazy folks like me? :rotflmao

My first, we got to 10 months bfing. My second, the one I'm still bfing, I was praying to make it just day by day- it was so hard. Then I said, we can make it 3 months, 6 months, looks like we'll hit a year. My goal was always 2 years old. She's now 3yo (since January) and nurses upon waking, when I pick her up from childcare (maybe 3 or 4 days of the week), at bedtime, and on weekends before nap.

Sometimes, I just have to ask her to stop because I get so uncomfortable- usually around the time I'm ovulating, sometimes during the tww, and around af time. I'll just tell her, ok you have 2 more minutes. She'll answer, then the other side... Yeah, then 2 minutes on that side and all done.

Anyway, when I pick her up from childcare, most times now she'll ask for a snack. By the time she asks for mommy milk, it's around dinner time, so I'll tell her it's not time for mommy milk. The first time I started using that line, about 5 months ago, she asked me, "so what's mommy milk for?" It was so cute.

I don't know what my limit is. I'd like to say Now, but she told me today she NEEDS mommy milk, not just wants it. I asked her why, and she says because she likes it.

Renai's Avatar Renai
06:43 PM Liked: 10
#76 of 85
04-02-2014 | Posts: 75

I should also mention that dh is a great support, too much sometimes. I'll see him in the corner of my eye signing "milk" to dd, or I'll hear him tell her - go to your mama so she can give you mommy milk!

10:48 AM Liked: 2458
#77 of 85
04-03-2014 | Posts: 2,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renai View Post

I don't know what my limit is. I'd like to say Now, but she told me today she NEEDS mommy milk, not just wants it. I asked her why, and she says because she likes it.

I would say at that point she did need it.   Its better than cows milk or whatever else she might  have been eating. Its perfect food for growing bodies, complete with probiotics and antibodies.  I cant imagine having my 2yo wean, she still greatly benefits from breastmilk.

I dont know, i dont see the point in substituting other foods when a child is asking for  mommy milk, unless there is a very compelling reason...i just dont get it.

Jenn75's Avatar Jenn75
07:41 AM Liked: 5
#78 of 85
04-04-2014 | Posts: 5
Quote:

So I never did wean her.  

I am so, so sorry for your loss. My heart to you. Hugs and more hugs.

Jenn75's Avatar Jenn75
07:43 AM Liked: 5
#79 of 85
04-04-2014 | Posts: 5

I have no idea what my limit is, right now I don't feel that *I* have a set limit. My son is 4 yrs. 3 mths and he doesn't seem anywhere close to done. Doesn't feel any different to me now than when he was 4 mths. He is still my baby, lol. I figure he will go until he no longer has the need. I'm sure he will know when that time is right. That will be my limit, lol.

Renai's Avatar Renai
11:59 AM Liked: 10
#80 of 85
04-04-2014 | Posts: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by contactmaya View Post

I would say at that point she did need it.   Its better than cows milk or whatever else she might  have been eating. Its perfect food for growing bodies, complete with probiotics and antibodies.  I cant imagine having my 2yo wean, she still greatly benefits from breastmilk.

I dont know, i dont see the point in substituting other foods when a child is asking for  mommy milk, unless there is a very compelling reason...i just dont get it.

Yeah, I thought it a bit amusing that she said that she NEEDED mommy milk. There was great emphasis between the words "need" and "want." I guess at 3 years old, she realizes she needs me. It was so sweet. She's 37 months now, and this just happened a couple of days ago.

Spiderpig's Avatar Spiderpig
03:12 AM Liked: 49
#81 of 85
04-06-2014 | Posts: 540
Quote:
Originally Posted by LorienIslay View Post

If you had told me before my first was born that I would eventually nurse a 4 year old, I would have told you to give your head a shake.  My initial goal was six months, then I revised to a year, then to two years to get to the WHO recommendation... and after that, I just would never wake up one day and feel that my boy was too old. He was, after all, only one day older than the day before.   I seriously cut him back when I got pregnant just after her turned three, but in a fairly organic fashion.  After all, he was too busy playing with the neighbours after I got home from work, so that was an easy drop.  He gave up his nap on the weekends, so that was easy to give up.  I started getting up and out of bed before he woke in the morning, so that was an easy one to drop. 

We nursed before bed most nights until I had his sister the month before he turned four... after that, he opted to move out of the family bed (and slept in his own room with daddy laying with him to fall asleep), so he missed the before sleep nursing most of the time.  He still nursed a few times a week for the first two or three months of his sister being here, and then cut down to a few times a month, basically when the stars aligned :D  I think he last nursed at the end of January. Is he weaned? I guess, effectively, but if he asked to nurse and super needed it, and the time/place was right then I might / would probably agree. 

So, I'd say that we did child-led weaning, but also mother-directed.  I suspect it's really hard to do true child-led weaning without losing your ever loving mind.  I guided weaning, but never stopped at a point when he still needed it; he never cried for mama milk that I denied. 

Nursing an older child is WAY different than nursing an infant, or even a toddler.  The urgency is less, you can reason and negotiate with them, ask them for gentler nursing habits, ask them to wait... nursing an older child is awesome.  Don't knock it until you try it :)

Thank you for sharing your views on breastfeeding and weaning your child. You have answered a big question in me, for I wasn't sure of the timespan allowed so to speak, to continue weaning. I now feel more happy inside and settled. Juniper is reaching 4 this June, so now I can go on as I intend without worry. :)

Alex

typebug's Avatar typebug
06:07 PM Liked: 38
#82 of 85
04-07-2014 | Posts: 728

"Mama, we're going to need boob over here stat!" - My husband tending to my toddler after a faceplant

Yes, it's nice to have that support. Yay for daddies respecting the power of breastfeeding. I'm pretty open. I grew up among extended breastfeeding moms and knew lots of 4 and 5 year olds who nursed at bed time. I'm noticing my son has started to just cut back on his own. He rarely asks during the day at all, I have to remind him so I don't get engorged as he's only one and nurses at bedtime, first thing in the morning and once or twice during the night so my supply is still there. I'd prefer if the weaning were happening the other way around, night first then day but I'm also not really worried. I'd be fine with nursing beyond two years but I have a funny feeling this guy will probably drop it before I'm even ready. 

Momma2Merrell's Avatar Momma2Merrell
04:45 PM Liked: 54
#83 of 85
07-22-2014 | Posts: 143
I basically cut my daughter off at just over two years old. I have never let go of that guilt, because she wasn't ready. I wish I would have ignored my idea of when I wanted to wean and followed her wants/needs. My DS nursed till he was over three. He just turned four. He probably would have kept on nursing except he was a night nurser, he could care less during the day. I just wasn't getting enough sleep to continue. I am pregnant with our third and I plan to nurse till baby is done, and I'm aiming for three. I am a huge fan of prolonged nursing and attachment parenting.

My DH is extremely supportive of nursing and so are my family members. His mom nursed him and his three brothers. My mom also nursed me and my siblings and I was the baby and nursed till I was almost four. (I'm a tall woman, and my mom jokes saying it's all the nursing I did as a babe

Mothering and the awesome ladies on here are my support as well. I don't live in an area that is "open-minded" and my family is spread throughout the country, so I rely on the support I receive from you all!
Thank you!
bayosgirl87's Avatar bayosgirl87
10:48 AM Liked: 162
#84 of 85
08-24-2014 | Posts: 163
Somewhere between 2 and 3 years is where I'd like to stop.
Renai's Avatar Renai
09:00 PM Liked: 10
#85 of 85
Today | Posts: 75
I still haven't found our age limit, as my dd turns 4 next month and is till bfing. It is for naps and night time. I can say, that she now distinguishes between "need" and "want" and most times she says she just wants to because it helps her. She will ask for more during other times of the day sometimes, but I have drawn the line for just sleep times now. I never thought I'd still be at it by this age.
Tags: Breastfeeding , Breastfeeding Beyond Infancy

Reply Subscribe Breastfeeding Beyond Infancy