What's your breastfeeding age limit? - Page 4 - Mothering Forums

2Likes

#91 of 93 Old 06-03-2015, 02:53 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
As a new mother, I read here a couple of mothers talk about their kids breastfeeding at around 7 or 8 years old. I thought that that was a bit extreme. My goal was to do 6 months exclusive breastfeeding and see how we went after that.

Life trundled on. DD loved breastfeeding, although she cut back lots during my 2nd pregnancy. But as soon as DS was born, I had to learn how to breastfeed both at once to avoid meltdowns.

And they are still breastfeeding at bedtime.

DD turned 8 recently. DS is 5. He is still breastfeeding before bed most nights. DD has almost given up: over the last 6 months, she has had several periods of a few weeks without breastfeeding at all. Then she has a few days when she asks at bedtime. This week she has asked 3 times after several weeks of not asking at all. So just when I think she's done, she surprises me.

But I don't think she'll ask much longer. DS shows no sign of wanting to give up.

I have had days from time to time when I have had enough of breastfeeding (8+ years non-stop does that to you!). But overall, I am glad to be able to meet my kids' needs. And I do think it is a need. When they don't need it, they stop, as DD is in the process of doing.

I don't have DH's support at this stage. He is very supportive of breastfeeding for at least 2 years. He thinks that they are old enough to stop. When he mentions that to me in front of them (not often), I repeat that they will stop when they are ready. I am grateful for this experience and that my kids get to breastfeed for as long as they have the need.

I gained a lot of encouragement by reading
Breastfeeding Older Children Breastfeeding Older Children
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#92 of 93 Old 06-05-2015, 09:24 PM

Mentioned: 268 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Good book suggestion, thanks!

Good for you for sticking up for your children's choice (dare I say their "right") to continuing breastfeeding when and how they choose. Especially if your partner is not so supportive.
#93 of 93 Old 08-11-2015, 03:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I think there is no age. Continue breastfeeding till when and how they choose

Tags
Breastfeeding , Breastfeeding Beyond Infancy

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page