Talking to a 2.5 yo about taking turns at the breast - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 08-06-2013, 05:13 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi there, I'm expecting baby number two in 4 weeks, and while I've started preparing my daughter for the birth and baby, I'm not sure how to talk to her about sharing the breast. She still nurses 3 times daily (would probably do more if I offered). We cut out the bedtime nursing session about 8 weeks ago bc it was really ramping up my Braxton Hicks contractions. She will be beginning preschool around my due date, so I would like to minimize her stress as best I can. Tandem mamas, how did you talk to your older nurslings about taking turns at the breast? How did they adjust? I'd love to hear your thoughts and experiences. Thank you!
#2 of 5 Old 08-07-2013, 04:01 PM

I googled tandem nursing and showed DS pictures...for him it was more about being afraid that he couldn't nurse at all once baby came. The photos were a huge help and relief for him. He also loves nursing with his sister and usually askes for her to nurse with him...unless he is upset. There are also some "new sibling" books out there that depict nursing (we got some by rachell fuller I believe) and DS would look at the books a lot and I think it helped him process it. Good luck!

Mommy to DS born 11-10-10  wave.gifAnd DD born 6-3-13 baby.gif  

#3 of 5 Old 08-09-2013, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you BabySmurf! I will definitely look into both of your suggestions. Things are about to get really interesting smile.gif
#4 of 5 Old 08-09-2013, 08:28 PM

I agree that showing photos of tandem nursing helps the older one really get the idea, and understand that it doesn't mean no more nursing for them. I also talked a lot about how the new baby can only have nur-nur, and has to do it many many times all day and night in order to grow big and strong so she can play with her big sister. And we told her that since she is almost 3 and a half she can eat yummy things like apples and pretzles and chicken, but baby can't eat any of that stuff so baby will have to nur-nur more than she will.

So far its going really well for us, though my older dd is a year older than yours and I do think that helps. I can't nurse them both at the same time as often as my older dd would like, but she does like to help put my nipple into baby's mouth--Im sure you can imagine just how "helpful" that truly is (not) haha. But it helps her feel involved. And when the baby cries, dd says "mama, you've gotta nur-nur our baby!"

Married 12/08 to Chilean DH and mama to DD 2/2/10. We're a bilingual home and we familybed1.gif and toddler.gif

Expecting #2 in late June!

#5 of 5 Old 08-14-2013, 08:38 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Mine are 2 and 3.5 and still nursing. The cutest was when the little one was old enough they would hold hands sometimes as they nursed. Now they are more likely to compete for who can lay on top of me and kick each other... Sometimes as a game and sometimes not. I love it though.

I usually nursed at the same time so there was no taking turns.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page