How did your toddler react to milk coming in after birth of baby? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-20-2013, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know this likely varies from child to child, but I'm a bit anxious about how my 2.5 yo will react when my milk comes back in. I was sure she would wean during my pregnancy, but she is still dry nursing twice daily, albeit very briefly. It is my go-to to get her down for her nap, but she does fall asleep at night without nursing. What can I expect? I am so nervous!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 08-20-2013, 08:46 PM

My dd1 was 22 months when dd2 was born.  She had pretty much quit while I was pg, although she nursed from my sister a few times.  She would just latch on and suck a few times, pull off and use my breast as a pillow to fall asleep on.  I was REALLY hoping she would go back to nursing when my milk came in but she was not interested.  

But I have friends whose children went right back to it like nothing had ever happened.  I think it would definitely make the transition easier if toddler goes back to nursing.

Christi

Wife to one Amazing man, Mom to 3 Wonderful children with #4 due in Feb

#3 of 4 Old 08-20-2013, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

That's interesting. Thanks for your reply. If I had to predict, I would say my daughter would go back, but I guess one never knows. It does seem like it would help with the toddler's adjustment to having a sibling.
#4 of 4 Old 08-20-2013, 09:40 PM

First of all, my then 27 month old son declared, "Mommy, you make rice milk!" and went back to happily nursing.  In the long run he started nursing nearly as often as my newborn daughter, but he shared quite nicely.  He loved to tandem with her and hold her hand.  I think it really helped them to bond.  Also, it was kinda nice to have him nursing so I didn't have to worry so much about balanced meals for him during the postpartum time.

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page