Oversupply and 24 months with no PPAF! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-27-2013, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

So, the story is that I gave birth in September 2011. I've had gnarly oversupply since the get-go, and returned to work when Kai was 4 months old (re: he took a bottle and pacifier from 4-12 months...and we were, and still are, separated for about 40 hours a week). Now, we bedshare, and I submit he's always made up for missing chances to BF during the day by BF All. Night. Long. So, I know my prolactin levels must be pretty high, because even now I continue to have a pretty impressive oversupply.

I'm just wondering, how many moms out there who got their PPAF after 18 months also had an oversupply? I just wonder if there might be a connection between the two. We'd like to get pregnant next year, but it doesn't look like that will happen unless I force-wean Kai (he LOVES his boobie), and that's not something I'd ever do.

Lactivist-athiest-feminist wife to DH hola.gif , mommy-in-training to beautiful DS Kai, 9/2011 joy.gif

namaste.gif,intactivist.gif,familybed1.gif, saynovax.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 08-27-2013, 04:51 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Hey there!! How do you define oversupply? It boggles my mind at 24 months. ....

I got my period back at about 14 months I think. But it keeps disappearing again. But I am tandem nursing two with a total weight between them of 84 pounds!! And they drink a lot. So it is not surprising.
#3 of 8 Old 08-27-2013, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Hahaha! You are much stronger than I :) Oversupply...hmm, I've never really had to define it. I have an overactive letdown, so Kai still chokes and coughs and sputters and slips off the breast during a letdown. I still get super full and have too much milk for him to drain one breast when I get home from work, let alone both! When I was still pumping (stopped at 17 months) I was donating to 2 separate families because I pumped too much for just Kai. Over all I have ridiculous overactive boobs!

I just wonder if that keeps my prolactin levels so high that I don't ovulate? 24 months is crazy right??

Lactivist-athiest-feminist wife to DH hola.gif , mommy-in-training to beautiful DS Kai, 9/2011 joy.gif

#4 of 8 Old 08-27-2013, 09:09 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Oh my!! I don't have let down for a minute or two I think and it is nothing like that. And if I skip 10 hours I am not full at all. Okay so oversupply is accurate. Oh my!!

It sounds logical that hormones might be different when you are making more milk but I wonder if that is the case?

I thought I read that people that night wean get periods back earlier... and if you are separated during the work day that is practically the same amount of time. Hmmmm.... Very puzzling.

Age wise are you in a rush to get pregnant again? He could nurse like that another year! My 3.5 year old is only 2-3 times a day now. But my 2 year old is way more frequent.
#5 of 8 Old 08-28-2013, 12:09 PM

I didn't have overactive letdown like tbat at 20 months in, but DS still only nursed from one side per session and was still mostly EBF. I caught our first pp egg at 22 months, which is when DS started eating one big meal before bed, which allowed him to sleep one good stretch. I had also been just slightly underweight and gained about 3-5 pounds, and within a 1 -2 week time frame, i ovulated and got preg. I think going longer periods at night is more effective than going the same amount of time during tbe day.
I was also curious about the oversupply/later return to fertility connection. Although, I had noticed my body trying to ovulate (by cervical positioning) or at least gearing up to cycle by about 13 months in, I just had other factors at play too.

Mommy to DS born 11-10-10  wave.gifAnd DD born 6-3-13 baby.gif  

#6 of 8 Old 08-28-2013, 12:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

the average developed countries exclusively breastfeeding mamas get their periods back in average at 14 months

for developing countries the average is 24 months.

those are averages of course.

you can have mamas with no periods yet at 30 months.

oversupply is really when it is causing problems; like plugued ducts, mastitis. if you are not pumping and no plugued ducts, then your supply matches the demand. then it is not oversupply.

yes, spending 6 hours without nursing at night usually permits ovulation.

if Kai can not go without nursing 6 hours at night, then he is not ready for you to become pregnant and bring your supply down.

but then, his readiness is not the only factor to consider.....

#7 of 8 Old 08-28-2013, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Frequent night nursing is a key factor to remaining in lactational amenorrhea. While sleeping, my son nursed every hour or two until 31 months, then slept a four hour block a few times, my period returned the following month at 32 months.
#8 of 8 Old 08-28-2013, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Hey all! Not in a rush to get pregnant again, no. I just haven't had a period in almost three years, and since we've begun discussing having another I'm just getting curious about what is going on with my body, and what other women have experienced smile.gif

I am definitely ok with him bfing like this for another year!

The oversupply have caused recurrent plugged ducts abs multiple bouts of mastitis, unfortunately. However, those incidents lessened significantly when I quit pumping. Can you just have OALD without oversupply? Hmmm

It seems like the consensus is this is probably normal for what my son wants/needs at this time. Sure can seem like it will never end, even though the day I get my period I'm going to burst into tears...it'll be like his babyhood is well and truly over.

Motherhood is so emotional!!

Tags
Breastfeeding , Breastfeeding Beyond Infancy

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page