Looking for advise from moms, who solidly breastfeed for a long time, about introducing solids. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 09-28-2013, 01:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I decided to solidly breastfeed my daughter until she is one year old. She is 10 month now. She likes to squash baked zucchini and suck on steamed celery, taste a salty foods, but she does not really ate anything yet except breast milk. I feel like it's time to introduce solids. Have I've been waiting to long? 

I started to read "Super Baby Food" by Ruth Yaron, recommended in "Well Adjusted Baby"- the book I love, and I feel little sabotaged. By the "Super Baby Food"book I should've introduced solids long time ago. I personally still in favor of BF solidly till around a year old, but I also worried if my baby gets enough Iron and Vitamin A and C and K and so on... Moms, who breastfeed long time, what did you do? Did you give supplements? Or what is your stand on that?

As my daughter already 10 month old and clearly shows interest in other foods, I think I need to start giving her solid food, However, the time frame is different when you introduce solids at 6 month. How soon I can give her purred chicken w/ veggie (seems like she would enjoy it right now more then purred pear)? Or when can I give her keffir (home made, from raw goat milk)? And can I give her freshly made juice yet (we juice everyday- Kale, Chard, Carrot, Celery and Zucchini - all organic)? Can I give her this cocktail or stick with just carrot for now?  Should I dilute it like suggested for younger babies? 

I know it's many questions, each probably can make separate tread, but in the same time it's all in consideration one another, so here it is. :) 

Thank you for your kind responses. 

#2 of 7 Old 09-28-2013, 02:19 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Both my babies got interested in food about that age; I just gave them some of whatever we were eating, squished with a fork if necessary. I breastfeed way past a year so never worried about them missing anything, really. Milk fills in the gaps! Have fun; that's one of my favorite (messy,though) stages. smile.gif
MilaD likes this.
#3 of 7 Old 09-28-2013, 02:24 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I was led to understand that one of the advantages of holding off on solids until the baby is a little older is that you can skip a lot of the "baby food" steps; so no need to puree, etc...

Have you looked into baby led weaning? (the British definition of weaning, meaning introduction of complementary foods)  You might find it a bit more applicable to your where you are right now.

Midwesterner04 likes this.
#4 of 7 Old 09-28-2013, 06:17 AM

If she is interested in food offer her foods she can feed herself like steamed sticks of carrot, steamed beans, potato and sweet potato, pieces of soft cooked fruit, bananas, breads, pancakes, toast. if you eat meat offer her simple home made meatballs.  Yoghurt, avocado, cooked soft white boneless fish, eggs, noodles,rice, pasta are all fine. She will need some iron rich foods now.

I think she is too young for juice,  too much fructose for her to digest, young kids cannot easily digest fructose and it can cause loose stools.. Plain water is fine.

Look up baby led weaning. It works well. My thirteen month old has been finger feeding himself for ages now. He loves cooked carrot and peas. I think mandarines are his favourite food. I just put the food on his clean high chair tray. He does not like to be spoon fed and cannot manage a spoon himself yet. if I put his food on a plate he tips the whole lot on the floor.

Midwesterner04 likes this.
#5 of 7 Old 09-28-2013, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)

Solids usually started for us when the baby grabbed food off my plate. So i would  prepare by mashing  a bit of whatever food i had , or allowing them to explore safer food bits. All 3 of my kids started the grabbing at around 7ish 8ish mths. It was really just for them to  explore-taste, texture, smell etc. By 12mths,  they ate a little bit,  but still depended mainly on breast milk.   At 2, they were all still solidly breastfed, but ate quite a bit as well. My 3rd baby is now  19mths, and eats ALOT, but also breastfeeds ALOT. She's the biggest foodie so far though. My first still wasnt eating a huge amount at this age.

I just follow their cue, sharing my food,  and bf on demand.

#6 of 7 Old 09-28-2013, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I mince things for mine to grab and eat anytime after 6 months when they want to grab them and eat them. I give fruit and cooked veggies first then meat soon after that. Grains and dairy and nuts and berries wait til closer to a year, except the occasional few grains of rice from our food.

#7 of 7 Old 09-28-2013, 08:53 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all so very much for responses, it helps a lot.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page