Biting - how do you handle it? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-07-2013, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Let me start by saying DD isn't teething right now, but she does seem to be fixated on chewing on things and general. Probably that whole, you know, being a baby thing. She's 15 months old and the past couple of months, when she's so inclined, she will bite down and when I yelp or try to disengage the nipple, she'll bite harder and pull back. Leaning forward, trying to squeeze a finger into to free my nipple, squeezing her cheeks (I don't know, I was desperate), nothing, save for literally screaming will get my nipple out of her mouth. My nipple is purple and bruised and I love DD and our nursing relationship, but I don't know how much more I can take. She will seem genuinely interested in nursing and then just randomly spring her vampiric action on me, and though it's not an everyday thing, it is really distressing. What do you do? I don't want to scream and startle her, but she has literally drawn blood and what came as an involuntary reaction is now seeming like my only out.

#2 of 8 Old 10-07-2013, 03:55 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Ds was a huge biter while teething, and drew blood as well. What worked for me was gently pinching his nose, he would almost instantly release the nipple. Then I wait a min or two before resuming the feeding. Now he associates biting with losing a feeding or at least an interrupted feeding. He only bites accidentally when he falls asleep on the breast, very occasionally.

bfinfant.gif  Breastfeeding, non-vaxing, homeschooling, baby wearing, cosleeping, non-cic'ing mama to CJsuperhero.gifAGdust.gifJJnono02.gifSDbabyboy.gif  And married my highschool sweetheart lovestory.gif

And expecting #5 in Nov. 2014 heartbeat.gif
#3 of 8 Old 10-09-2013, 05:02 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
The fastest gentlest way to get them to disengage in to pull their face against your breast so they have to pull off to breathe. Like plugging the nose as the poster before suggested. My dd thought my authentic reactions were funny so I had to stop. Instead I would put her down a few feet away and have a break for a few minutes from nursing. After weeks of biting this worked really fast. Probably within a day.

Don't use your finger to get her off it just damages you more.

Hugs!
#4 of 8 Old 12-01-2013, 07:28 PM

Are you still dealing with this issue???  I have this problem, only it's ongoing, and worse at night when I am nursing to sleep, Im bleeding and sore every day, and nursing hurts.  The pulling in thing does not work.  I am at a loss, did you get through this??? Im not sure how much more I can take.....

#5 of 8 Old 01-03-2014, 07:24 AM

I am also going through this with my 12 mo old. I have loved nursing and now don't want to nurse b/c I get super tense not knowing when the next bite is coming.  I've delatched her, set her down, underreacted, overreacted, talked to her, sometimes she'll then get upset and not nurse for a couple days and then start back gradually and within a day she is biting again. We are headed toward weaning b/c I can't handle being bitten all the time.  And I am so extremely distressed about it. 

#6 of 8 Old 01-03-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stel View Post

I am also going through this with my 12 mo old. I have loved nursing and now don't want to nurse b/c I get super tense not knowing when the next bite is coming.  I've delatched her, set her down, underreacted, overreacted, talked to her, sometimes she'll then get upset and not nurse for a couple days and then start back gradually and within a day she is biting again. We are headed toward weaning b/c I can't handle being bitten all the time.  And I am so extremely distressed about it.

Stel there is hope!!!!  I was in tears over this and now it is SO much better!  I did a ton of research and reading, and what eventually did the trick was persistence and, im sorry to say, taking some pain.  HOW I GOT THROUGH WAS:

1.  Every time we nursed (my lo bit me the worst at bedtime) I put my finger near her cheek to be ready to protect my nipple, and when she bit me I pulled her in, unlatched and said firmly but calmly, "no bite".  then I would roll over and with hold nursing for a few minutes.   Then we would try again. 

2.  We worked with her outside nursing and if she bit a finger, nose, ect, we would firmly say "no bite"

3.  I kept Newmans Nipple Oinment on my nipples religiously after each nursing session (yes, my little monkey drew blood!) and let me tell you this stuff is amazing.

4.  I sought help from a lactation consultant, which honelsty didn't help much aside from moral support which can go a long way in these situations

5. I DID NOT GIVE UP!

AFTER ABOUT A WEEK AND A HALF MY LO FINALLY GOT THE IDEA AND NO MORE BITING!!!!  WE RELAX AND NURSE AS USUAL :)  JUST KEEP TELLING YOURSELF THIS WILL PASS AND YOU CAN BOTH GET THROUGH IT!!!

Just as a side note, my lo was teething at the time so teething tablets and sometimes ibuprofen at bedtime helped.   Also, here are some links that helped me:

http://www.drmomma.org/2009/12/if-my-baby-bites.html

http://www.parenting.com/article/ask-dr-sears-biting-while-breastfeeding-21333339

feel free to contact me if you need more support, I know how hard the biting thing is!!!  blessings!

#7 of 8 Old 01-07-2014, 02:25 PM

Gardendweller,

Thank you so much.  I have been doing some of your techniques and we have had some success.  There have still been a few nips though so far no blood.  Because of the nips, I still can't relax. But your message helped me in a global way in that just hearing that it COULD work out has helped.  I was feeling so pessimistic and for the last couple of days I've been saying to myself that it worked out for you so it could work out for us, too.  Just holding that has helped me stay in the moment and not get depressed.  Thank you, thank you.

#8 of 8 Old 01-07-2014, 07:23 PM

Stel, I'm so glad I was able to give you some hope!  I totally know what you mean by not being able to relax.  I was on guard big time until things finally passed, I would lay down to nurse but be stiff as a board ready to defend my poor nipples at any moment!  I promise nursing will be enjoyable and relaxed again <3  I think its awesome that you are seeing your baby through this, you have to have nerves of steel!  We moms are so much tuffer than we think we are!!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page