Can newborn catch something from toddler via tandem nursing? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-09-2013, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

Are those nipples passing contagious viruses?

My DD, age 2.5, nurses once in the morning and once at night. My DS, age 1 month, nurses all the time. :D

DD had a fever yesterday and has a runny nose. We noticed a slight rash, like mild tiny pimples but without the white centers, all over her body but it doesn't seem to be bothering her. She's also getting a big back molar in, so we think it might just be teething.

But in case it isn't the teething, should I be worried about DD and DS nursing from the same nipples?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2013, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That sounds like Roseola. I'm pretty sure it can be transferred through saliva but I'm not an expert.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/roseola/DS00452

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

Old 11-09-2013, 03:27 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Anything which can be transmitted via saliva can be passed by sharing nipples.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

Old 11-09-2013, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)

The other question is: is it possible in any practical way for a newborn to avoid catching things from their toddler sibling, whether they're tandem nursing or not?  In my experience, toddlers are very creative at finding ways to share saliva with their family members.

Old 11-09-2013, 05:04 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)

Well, teething doesn't cause rashes, so I think that's out. There's so many ways that family members, especially silblings, share germs, that tandem feeding seems like sprinkles on the icing on the cake to me. Here's when it comes in handy to be breastfeeding, because you're sharing your antibodies with your newborn.

At home amongst the redwoods treehugger.gif with my husband and my son, born 7/5/11 familybed1.gif  Instant CNM, just add caffix.gif !

Old 11-09-2013, 05:23 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
I asked my midwife about this. My mom thought I should be my nipples!! She said there is so much contact in families that tandem feeding makes no difference. In the past they used to worry about this but that is not current thinking.

And remember exposure to bacteria/viruses makes our immune systems grow.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalia View Post

That sounds like Roseola. I'm pretty sure it can be transferred through saliva but I'm not an expert.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/roseola/DS00452

Wow, after reading that mayoclinic link I think that is what DD has! Thanks!
And since DS still has some immunity from me, he is probably safe.

And I totally agree with the others here that said nipples are just one of many ways DD lovingly shares her germs with DS, such as grabbing his paci and giving it to him after her hands have been who knows where...

Old 11-25-2013, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

I don,t know how good or reallistic it is to wash nipples with water and soap after baby1 nurses if he is sick. but washing hand (or nipples) with water and soap removes the vast majority of viruses....it will also strip the nipple from it"s natural oils....

as most say, they will still share viruses by other ways. my kids shared as mush since tandem nursing stopped as during the tandem period.

also, a lot of viruses get transmitted before even any symptomes. so your dd was probably conbtagious way before you noticed she was sick!

and my Ds1 had Roseola when tandem nursing. ds 2 didn't get it. or got it, but had no symptoms....

Old 11-25-2013, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I actually did wash a couple of times but only when DD2 was a newborn and DD1 had a runny nose. I washed off the visible marks of her presence. It made me feel better.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

Old 11-25-2013, 01:29 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)

that's funny! I did that too...and it made me feel better.

I think it feels better as well, it is less slippery after cleaning!

Old 11-27-2013, 12:29 PM

While sure, children tandem nursing certainly could and I'm sure do pass germs that way, they also pass germs back and forth so many other ways, I've never worried about it. I basically count on the other 4 of us catching anything that 1 of us has and with rare exceptions it is always the case no matter what precautions we take. I actually hope I'll catch stuff first so my breastmilk will have the antibodies to help out the babies smile.gif

Katie trekkie.gif - Married to Mike 06/02/01, Mom to Sydney Anne born 11/21/09 and Alice Maeryn & Oliver Thomas born 04/24/13  hug.gif 

User Tag List