weight watchers while nursing? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-21-2014, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I am 35, I am 5'5" and I have been a consistent 172lbs since giving birth (16 months ago).  This is 12 pounds above the 160 I weighed when I got pregnant and 22 pounds above my over all goal weight of 150.  I still nurse my 16 mo day and night.  Now, I have tried to eat healthy since having my lo, but I will admit I have developed a slight sugar addiction (which I have heard is not uncommon for a nursing mother), but I also chalk it up to sleep deprivation.  My lo is not a great sleeper (never has been).  On a good night she wakes up around 4 times, and when she is teething or sick- forget about it!  This past summer I trained for and ran my first 5k, and did not lose a single pound.  I was eating pretty darn healthy too.  Then after the holidays I tried limiting my portion sizes and cutting out sugar completely and by the fourth night my milk supply diminished ALOT, so even though I felt ok I guess I was not getting enough calories.  I attend pilates regularly but need to find a new cardio routine (stationary bike?) as running has shot my knees (all though I still ran a youth benefit 5k on st patties day!).  Long story short, I feel stuck.  I was ok with being kind of chubby until my family started making comments about my weight, so now I also feel self conscious.  I'm also just plain tired (lo is getting her first year molars and sleep has become a thing of the past).  SO, to my POINT, HAS ANY ONE BEEN SUCCESSFUL WITH WEIGHT WATCHERS WHILE BREAST FEEDING?  and what was/is your experience been like?

#2 of 6 Old 03-29-2014, 09:35 AM

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)

it looks like your post might have been missed so I'm bumping it up for attention. :bump: Anyone have BTDT experience to share?

hh2.gif Head over to the Holiday Helper forum and be a part of this wonderful Mothering tradition! joy.gif

Wondering about Mothering in general? Check out Mothering's User Agreement! smile.gif

#3 of 6 Old 04-06-2014, 06:33 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)

I did, with both babies. at 18months for baby number1 then 4 months baby number 2. both times I lost, very slowly, 1-2 pounds a month, total of 10 pounds each time. Then I gained again after stopping WW. They have special points if you breastfeed (14 extra if you exclusively BF, and 7 if there is formula or solids on top of breastfeeding)

gardendweller likes this.
#4 of 6 Old 04-17-2014, 08:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
I haven't had much success with WW while breastfeeding. It may have nothing to do with the breastfeeding itself. I did WW years ago and loved it, but I can't stand their new plan with that goofy calculator. They used to tout how simple, common-sense, and real-world they were. Most real-world people aren't frantically entering 5 different nutritional figures into a calculator before they take a bite. irked.gif

Anyway, I'm also *ravenous* when I'm breastfeeding. Not even those extra points take away the hunger pangs. I, too, would love to hear feedback on how other moms have made it work. I'm open to trying other programs or just doing my own thing. But at least for me, paying for WW right now is flushing money down the toilet.
gardendweller likes this.

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
#5 of 6 Old 04-20-2014, 08:52 PM - Thread Starter

OP here, thought I'd post an update here.   Since starting this thread I decided to try weight watchers for nursing moms.   I didn't like it!  During my trial period I felt like all I did was enter points, and try to figure out points, and measure every tiny thing I ate so I could be exact with my points!  UHg.  I don't have that kind of time (read "energy") to devote to a diet right now.  And I was always hungry, not good when you are breast feeding!! I will say my sister lost 90, yes 90, pounds on WW, and another dear friend lost her "baby weight" on WW, and they both swear by it.  BUT this was AFTER they had weaned their kiddos.  So, I scheduled a physical with my family doctor, and talked to her about my weight concerns.  She surprised me by saying she wasn't at all concerned.  my blood tests were great, Im active, and I eat a reasonably healthy diet (I am subject to the occasional cookie binge).  She confirmed what my midwife said and said most breastfeeding moms DONT lose a significant amount of weight because of hormones.  She also said not sleeping (yes, I am still waiting for this child to sleep well at night!) has a huge impact on weight loss.  SO for now my mission is to love these extra pounds with all my heart, and then kiss it goodbye when LO decides to wean. 

Here's to loving our selves just the way we are!  Blessings!

Turquesa likes this.
#6 of 6 Old 04-20-2014, 11:51 PM

I just started WW as a nursing mom of a 10 month old. I did WW in the past and lost 23lbs over the course of 6 months. I am currently looking to lose about 17lbs, preferably in about 6 months.
In my previous stint, I got 26 pts per day. This time , because DS still nurses at least every 2 hours around the clock, I get 40 points a day! I'm concerned that I won't possibly be able to lose anything with that many points. But, I've been doing it for a week now, and man, I feel hungry! I'm watching my milk supply closely, as the last thing I want is to screw with my BF relationship. If I don't lose anything, I might put it off for a while until DS doesn't nurse quite as much.
Turquesa likes this.

Wife & Momma to Echo 2/20/08 and HP 6/11/13

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page