a night off... is it impossible? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-05-2014, 08:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hi everyone :) I have a 13m old daughter who still breastfeeds throughout the day and night, and she feeds to sleep at night. She's OK with solids, not a huge eater but she's probably pretty average for a BLW'd baby. This is all working very well for us in general, I love breastfeeding and I don't want to wean her fully anytime soon.

Anyway, my good friend is getting married at some point this year -- I think it will be late summer or autumn-ish, they haven't set a date -- and I'm her maid of honour. The plan is to have the ceremony in the afternoon and then the fancy meal and then a party in the evening. It's not going to be a massive do, and I'm not sure if there'll be any other kids there and how safe it will be for my daughter ... also, to be honest, I'm fantasising about letting my mum have her that day and me and DH going to the wedding (and the party) sans bub. The thought is scary... I've never spent more than an hour or two away from her... but also thrilling (I've never spent more than an hour or two away from her!). The thing is, is that idea just really not possible if I don't want to fully wean her? I'm thinking that if I did decide to go through with this I would try to get her used to spending more time with my mum and being given milk in a cup, but the overnight thing seems like a huge step to me, even if DD will be probably 18m by the time this wedding happens.

Is it even a bad thing, night-weaning at this stage? I'd never FORCE her but I'm wondering how she would respond to cuddles and back-rubbing rather than feeding when she wakes at night. I believe she does it because she gets disturbed and needs the comfort, rather than being hungry, because she doesn't actually FEED at night -- only has a few little sucks and then she's too asleep to bother. 

Any thoughts or advice welcome. :)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2014, 10:56 PM

Mentioned: 209 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Well, at this point the night feeding is for comfort and not feeding. This is a hard spot and a big hurdle. I remember I was having surgery and I worried for months how my baby would be without me and milk. I ended up pumping lots of milk before hand. I have I advice but hoping someone comes around that can give you some helpful tips
Hugs
Old 05-07-2014, 03:19 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
I don't think it is a blanket fact that all night-feeding at that age is for comfort. I get hungry at night sometimes! http://www.boobiebikkies.com.au/blog/does-your-baby-really-need-night-feeds/?COLLCC=727156088&

That said, I think one night at 18 months is not a big deal at all. Your mum should be prepared to have a broken sleep as your LO will probably be harder to settle but there is no need to nightwean just for that.

I spent a night in hospital when DD1 was 17mo. I didn't bother expressing as she would never drink EBM. She woke a few times and it took longer for DH to settle her than it did when I fed her but she was ok. And it had no effect on our BFing relationship.

Mother of two spectacular girls, born mid-2010 and late 2012  mdcblog5.gif

Old 05-07-2014, 10:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Thanks for the replies guys, yeah, I kind of didn't think about when people HAVE to take nights away from their babies! So maybe we can do it. I also realised (duh!) another option is just to come home late rather than spend the whole night away, which would probably be easier both on my daughter and my mum. Thanks both of you for reading and the advice :) 

Old 05-11-2014, 08:23 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just had my first night off (LO is 16 months and still nurses during the day and night.). Long story but dh was going to visit his mom and I couldn't go. We knew she would want to see LO. It ended up being a bit over 24 hrs apart. Anyway, it went pretty well. LO had a harder time than usual falling asleep even though dh puts him to bed without me 3 nights a week that I get home after bedtime. (I don't work that much, just part time with a weird schedule). He was upset the first time he woke up and I wasn't there but was ok the rest of the night.

I was a bit uncomfortable though. I'd gotten rid of my pump so I had to hand express several times. But I actually enjoyed the night of uninterrupted sleep in a bed by myself!

User Tag List