Should I wean and how to do it? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 06-22-2014, 07:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Should I wean and how to do it?

I am nursing a 14 month old who has significant GI issues that require both of us to be on a strict elimination diet. This diet consists of roughly 15 ingredients. I've been eating these foods since the beginning of April and if I make a mistake my son pays for it. We are working with a GI doctor who prefers that I wean to avoid obscuring the results of our food reintroduction process but I have continued to nurse thus far. I am getting to the point where I don't think I can continue to nurse my son for several reasons. I am thinking of getting pregnant again but don't want to be on a strict diet while pregnant. Also, I am tired of not being able to eat normally and also tired of worrying about making mistakes in my diet. I also want to have more control over my son's healing process by cutting out the nursing variable - that way we can trial foods with more clear cut answers as to how he's doing. My son is an avid nurser and nurses all day and night long. How can I gently wean him without traumatizing him? Some have suggested just going away for a weekend but I don't think I could bring myself to do this. What are other things I could do to wean him quickly? Should I even be thinking of weaning in the first place? Should I just tough it out? Are there alternatives that don't involve me eating carrot soup for dinner for the next 3 years?

Last edited by jl321; 06-22-2014 at 07:16 PM.
#2 of 3 Old 06-23-2014, 07:36 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
It sounds like you're very frustrated with your LO's health issues and this elimination diet. Do you feel like your health is suffering? Are you struggling with the diet? Deciding to wean is a very personal decision, and not an easy one to make. Has your doctor talked about what to give your LO in place of breastmilk? Do you feel like your doctor is otherwise breastfeeding friendly?

If you really feel that weaning is the best thing for you and for your LO, how fast does it have to happen? Could you take sort of an accelerated "gentle" approach, dropping a feeding (or two) each week? Keeping busy is one way to distract them from nursing. If you're out of the house and outside of your usual routine, they tend to forget they haven't nursed. Putting them off, not offering the breast, avoiding sitting in places where you would usually nurse, shortening the length of nursing sessions...these are some ways to do it a little more gradually, if time permits. Nights could be the most difficult. Could your partner take over the bedtime routine? This is a method for nightweaning that many people have had great success with.

It sounds like you're not comfortable with leaving your LO for a weekend. It is really important to listen to your heart and your gut on this issue, and it sounds like you are! Hopefully some of this will be helpful to you in deciding how and when to wean your little one.
#3 of 3 Old Yesterday, 04:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have read an article that says the health benefits of breastfeeding a baby is only good for 6 months. But I'm thinking to do some research regarding this. Anyway, I've been breastfeeding my youngest child for almost 3 years. Weaning is really hard. Do what makes you feel comfortable and you think you won't regret by the end of the day. Good luck!

My love for children has seen me featured in many education and children websites, whether talking about healthy snacks, motivating students or children's fashion at Bonza Brats. I love reading books, and shopping is my way of spending time with my young family. If you would like to catch me, you can via Google+ or Twitter: @HollyEasterby

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page