Milk production stops overnight! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-01-2014, 05:23 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Unhappy Milk production stops overnight!

I have been breastfeeding my son for six and half years now. I had always intended that he should decide one day that he was ready to stop by himself….until a couple of weeks ago when the decision to stop was taken away from BOTH OF US.

One Friday night he had a suckle to go off to sleep as usual. Saturday was my birthday and I spent a day at a local Spa…lovely. On Saturday night when I returned, he requested to suckle again before going to sleep. NOTHING. He tried again. NOTHING. He tried five times and then cried his little heart out for 20 minutes. The suckling seemed the same but I couldn't feel any let-down. For a week we both 'grieved'. I wondered if I had experienced some hormonal change since I felt a 'post-weaning depression' and cried uncontrollably on and off for three or four days. I decided against consulting my GP - anticipating a lack of understanding or sympathy.

Over the ensuing weeks I let him try to suckle when he asked in case the stoppage was temporary. He said the 'taste' was still there but there was no milk. I now have a child that still asks for the breast - but I have nothing to give him.

On the one hand, we have had a very good innings of six and a half years breastfeeding, on the other, I have been left bemused and saddened.

Any lactation consultants out there who can offer any wisdom/enlightenment? I have not heard of this before and cannot find any other posts on the internet of mothers who have had the same experience. My local LLL leaders leant a supportive ear and proffered a possible cause of hormone levels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2014, 09:55 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Not a LC, but a Mama who has so far nursed two preschoolers.

My first thought was baby teeth; has he lost any yet? When my youngest lost one front tooth (at 5) it messed up her latch a bit, but when the second one came out (early from rough play with sibs) that was pretty much the end of her being able to get any milk at all. Not a big deal as she was almost done anyway but it was if she lost the hang of nursing overnight. I know I still had milk because I could still pump.

I'm sorry it ended so abruptly for both of you.
Old 07-02-2014, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormborn View Post
Not a LC, but a Mama who has so far nursed two preschoolers.

My first thought was baby teeth; has he lost any yet? When my youngest lost one front tooth (at 5) it messed up her latch a bit, but when the second one came out (early from rough play with sibs) that was pretty much the end of her being able to get any milk at all. Not a big deal as she was almost done anyway but it was if she lost the hang of nursing overnight. I know I still had milk because I could still pump.

I'm sorry it ended so abruptly for both of you.
Interesting. Thanks for that. He has certainly lost and regrown the bottom middle two during this time. I had heard that with the emergence of new teeth around seven years that nursing can stop.
Old 07-14-2014, 06:04 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
I've seen a lot of people dry up while their child was still nursing, generally after 2 or 3 years, some people just don't produce milk that long. 6 years is very impressive! Kids can still get benefits from dry nursing, he should be eating enough to not need the nutrients and just need the emotional comfort- which he can still get. I know a few people who couldn't produce milk for medical reasons, but their baby still dry nursed for comfort despite bottle feeding. Especially because the taste is still there. You may need to help him get used to this, but there's no reason he can't comfort nurse even if he's not getting any nutrients from it.

If you're able to pump, you could use an at-breast supplementer (Lact-Aid/Medela SNS). You could try it with other drinks, but there may be issues with tooth decay.

Old 07-15-2014, 01:16 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mozzexbf View Post
Interesting. Thanks for that. He has certainly lost and regrown the bottom middle two during this time. I had heard that with the emergence of new teeth around seven years that nursing can stop.
I read somewhere that the timeline for weaning in all primates is linked to either baby tooth loss or eruption of adult molars (forget which-it was a long time ago), thus the term "milk teeth".

User Tag List