TWoP Recapper Slams EBF - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-31-2005, 02:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
"I also think that whoever does end up going should buy those bras in bulk because Lucy strikes me as someone who breast feeds her baby for a long time, to encourage its dependence."

From today's 7th Heaven recap.

http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com...w=8&story=7399

last graf on the page

We are six: Me : Dh : Ds1('00) Dd('02) Ds2('05) Ds3('08) and, wow! Soon to be seven, Dd2 due 4/23.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2005, 02:34 PM

Honestly.. It's a crap site and that "review" seems to be written by a 20 something non parent.. I don't really know what you expected..

It's lonely being the only XX in a house of XYs.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:49 PM - Thread Starter

Oh yeah, I know (except I think the recaps are pretty funny). Just another mainstream mama in the making, I bet.

We are six: Me : Dh : Ds1('00) Dd('02) Ds2('05) Ds3('08) and, wow! Soon to be seven, Dd2 due 4/23.
Old 01-31-2005, 03:05 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Babies have to be encouraged to be dependent?
I thought they were helpless and just came that way. You mean I could've just let mine take care of themselves from birth!?

:

Sometimes you have to laugh at the hydrogen lest you go crazy. OTOH, firing off an e-mail to this review place pointing out the sheer stupidity of that comment can be satisfying too.

"What will you do once you know?"
Old 01-31-2005, 07:33 PM

What I don't understand---- why does this person who obviously (or purports to) despise this show spend time not only watching it, but then posting on a web site about it

Old 01-31-2005, 08:15 PM

Here's my email:

Dear Sara,

Your comments on breastfeeding (found on the first page of your recap of 7th Heaven "Paper or Plastic") are incorrect, ignorant, and offensive to nursing mothers.

Please take a moment to read the recommendations of the American Association of Pediatrics (http://www.aap.org/advocacy/bf/brpromo.htm) and the World Health Organization (http://www.who.int/nut/publications.htm#gs_inf) regarding breastfeeding. The WHO recommends breastfeeding for a MINIMUM OF TWO YEARS. Breastfeeding does not encourage dependency, but formula feeding does encourage obesity, cancer, diabetes, poor eyesight, and lower intelligence.

Please educate yourself,
(me)

So, it was probably a bit too snarky, but I couldn't help myself...

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
Old 01-31-2005, 11:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
No snarkier than her original nonsensical comment IMO. Maybe she'll learn something.

"What will you do once you know?"
Old 02-02-2005, 01:11 PM

Nope, she didn't learn anything... Here's the email I got back from her:

"Before you send me another email full of links, you may want to educate yourself by re-reading what I said in the recap. I didn't say nursing your baby was wrong or make any comments about nursing mothers in general; I simply said that Lucy seemed like someone who would breastfeed for a "long time." And by "long time," I meant as long as she possibly could. Many years. Many more years than I'm sure even the WHO thinks is appropriate.

Here's a question for you: which is more offensive: saying that a fictional television character will maximize breastfeeding because she thinks it will encourage dependence, or basically telling all women incapable, for whatever reason, of breastfeeding that their children are now at a higher risk for freaking CANCER? Oh, and that they'll be stupid.

Please don't sign your emails to me with a snotty remark,
Sara"

I don't understand how she thought it was offensive to give FACTS!

Old 02-02-2005, 01:54 PM

s Queen of Cups

what can you expect from this person, anyway, based on her original TWoP comment.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:12 PM

Dont even waste your time on them, they are snotty and rude there. I used to go there to read stuff on Everwood, or catch up occasionally, and the people there are nasty and elitists (funny how someone can be such an elitist when sitting in their parents basement talking online about tv shows!)
Writing to them does not an ounce of good, they wont take it and learn from it, they will instead turn it and hate breastfeeding more for it likely
Its sad, really...
Old 02-02-2005, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abbynmikeysmommy
Writing to them does not an ounce of good, they wont take it and learn from it, they will instead turn it and hate breastfeeding more for it likely
Its sad, really...
Yeah, that's why I'm dropping it now...

Old 02-02-2005, 02:29 PM

Old 02-02-2005, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Cups
Here's my email:

Dear Sara,

Your comments on breastfeeding (found on the first page of your recap of 7th Heaven "Paper or Plastic") are incorrect, ignorant, and offensive to nursing mothers.

Please take a moment to read the recommendations of the American Association of Pediatrics (http://www.aap.org/advocacy/bf/brpromo.htm) and the World Health Organization (http://www.who.int/nut/publications.htm#gs_inf) regarding breastfeeding. The WHO recommends breastfeeding for a MINIMUM OF TWO YEARS. Breastfeeding does not encourage dependency, but formula feeding does encourage obesity, cancer, diabetes, poor eyesight, and lower intelligence.

Please educate yourself,
(me)

So, it was probably a bit too snarky, but I couldn't help myself...
SO TRUE!!! Glad you sent the email!

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 02-02-2005, 03:19 PM

I too just sent am email.

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 02-03-2005, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Here's a question for you: which is more offensive: saying that a fictional television character will maximize breastfeeding because she thinks it will encourage dependence, or basically telling all women incapable, for whatever reason, of breastfeeding that their children are now at a higher risk for freaking CANCER? Oh, and that they'll be stupid.
:Puke Well QoC...at least you tried!
Old 02-03-2005, 06:50 PM

Quote:

Well, the former statement is an opinion and the latter one is a fact, so I'd say the opinion is offensive, while the fact is neutral.

Single mom of 2 boys
Old 02-03-2005, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
What I don't understand---- why does this person who obviously (or purports to) despise this show spend time not only watching it, but then posting on a web site about it
She gets paid.

I think you guys are great for emailing, and I agree with all you've said.

Old 02-04-2005, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benji'sMom
Well, the former statement is an opinion and the latter one is a fact, so I'd say the opinion is offensive, while the fact is neutral.

C- mama to K (8) and A (5.5) (8w5d) 10/08, new baby O-2.11.10
Old 02-04-2005, 01:24 AM

Her response to my email was rude!!!

I just hope she doesn't have any kids!

: OK....I'm done being snotty!

Old 02-04-2005, 02:03 AM

urg. she obviously isnt very intelligent.

page 12 she rants about how lucy walked out of the elevator implying that birthing was too exhausting to possibly be able to stand much less walk afterwards. (i nursed dd after she was born, then went and took a shower.)

then on page 13 they ar etlaking about the jekyll island she says she doenst know where jekyll island is but she is sure it is better than georgia. ummm, hello, jekyll island IS in georgia (it is in the brunswick area)... roflmao

(i live about an hour away from savannah and a few hours away from jekyll island.) even if she has no idea where it is, a simple web search should have given her that basic info.

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome
Old 02-04-2005, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelBee

I just hope she doesn't have any kids!
she doesnt yet (thankfully)

l, <>< wife to my sweetie, proud mama to 3 cubs, 2 who clw & 1 that i i ep for . baby was evicted early by induction due to severe pre-e/hellp syndrome

User Tag List