tandem nursing and weight gain - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-31-2005, 05:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

My older daughter has gained a significant amount of weight she her sister was born in May. They are tandem nursing. I"m trying not to worry about it, but, really I am. I'm curious to know if anyone else has a similar experience. The milk is flowing plentifully here and my older daughter (3) drinks often during the day and usually a couple times at night. Thanks,

Molly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-31-2005, 06:11 PM

yeah, that's pretty normal for older nursling to get a little chunkier when the milk turns to newborn milk. I don't understand why it has you worried? But, then my battles are all over trying to get my daughter to eat more and gain more weight (she has always been and probably always will be on the thin side of the spectrum).
Old 01-31-2005, 07:24 PM

I just mentioned not 15 minutes ago on a different thread that rapid weight gain in the older nursling is common right after the new baby is born.

DD definately filled out a bit--- sometimes she nursed so much her poop went back to bfed baby poop (she was 31 months when DS was born).

Now, at 6 she is 45 lbs and thin. The weight "bump" was definately short term.

Old 01-31-2005, 10:43 PM - Thread Starter

Hi,

I'm relieved to hear it was short-term. My daughter is healthy and strong. I am worried at the rate of her gaining and how much longer it could continue at this rate. Thanks for your advice.

Molly
Old 02-02-2005, 06:18 PM

I am so glad you posted this...I just came here to post the same question!! My ds is 26 months and has gained over 5 pounds since dd was born 7.5 weeks ago. He is now just over 40 pounds(i think...it's been a couple of weeks since his last appt.), and I am worried, but mostly because he just looks HUGE. I have a big weight problem and was concerned if my eating would make my milk too fatty if I was eating poorly. He went from a snug 2t to a 4t in about 2 weeks. He completely skipped 3t clothes. I worry that that much weight will be hard on his little heart, and organs. And he is EXTREMELY active(has to keep up with older sis and bro lol), so it was a shock to me that he could even get this big in the first place. I have made a commitment to repair my eating habits, and offer only healthy snacks(we got pretty lax after Violet was born)again. But does anyone know if it should be a concern when it is so much weight on such a little guy, he is only about 35 inches tall.

Oh, and this is my third time tandeming, but the first experience that was this big of a gain.
TIA~Debi

Single mama to Alex(13), Maddy(12), Sam(8), Violet(6), and Ruby(3). fly-by-nursing1.gif
Old 02-02-2005, 06:51 PM

I'm pregnant with child #4 and tandem nursing. Each time I have a baby, the older nurslings put on lots of weight, especially during the first 3 months. From the many many tandem nursing moms I've spoken with, this is completely normal. The older nursling is getting A LOT more "cream" than before...newborn breastmilk is a lot higher in fat and calories than toddler/older nursling breastmilk (your breastmilk changes as your child gets older) and your older nursling tends to nurse more often as well.

In my experience, the weight gain is temporary and the older nursling either loses it when their nursing sessions lessen or when they wean.

I'm overweight, and have been most of my life. I sometimes feel a twinge of worry when I see my kids' expanding bellies starting a couple weeks after giving birth, but then I remember that they are getting such WONDERFUL nutrition from my breastmilk as well as protection against obesity.

Also, for those with 2 year olds .... remember that not only is your child gaining weight through breastfeeding, but 24-ish months is prime time for a growth spurt, so your child would be gaining weight anyway!!!

Mama to A (12), Z (11), H (9), C (5), A (3) and 4 angels. 

User Tag List