painful nursing at 13mo - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 01-31-2005, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My ds is 13 mos and recently it is quite painful for me when he nurses. I've tried various positions, don't see any signs of new teeth coming yet, I'm just had my pd so I'm not pmsing or pg...any ideas? no signs of yeast in either of us I'm hoping it will just pass!
#2 of 9 Old 01-31-2005, 11:19 PM

I had pain long before I realized it was thrush... I estimated it was about a month before it got really bad and my DD ended up with a rash and I had a YI. You don't have to be able to see for it to be there.

I started a regimen of Acidophilus, Echinechia and Garlic twice a day and my DD takes Acidophilus twice daily as well. If you don't have it that bad, maybe that will get rid of it for you. You might also try using a vinegar wash after feeding, followed by an anti-fungal to see if that helps. You should see improvement in pain within 48 hours. If not, then its probably not yeast.

HTH!
#3 of 9 Old 02-01-2005, 02:50 PM

Another thing that can happen is, if your baby nurses right after a meal of table foods, bits of the food may irritate your nipples. Have him have a nice drink of water first, brush his teeth, or wait about a 1/2 hr to an hour after a meal before you nurse.
#4 of 9 Old 02-02-2005, 01:31 AM

I had pain for two months. I thought I might be pregnant and still getting my periods, but nope. I figure it was just a hormonal thing. I hope you find out soon! It went away on it's own for me.

heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif

#5 of 9 Old 02-04-2005, 03:26 PM

We had thrush for at least six weeks before any symptoms other than pain showed up. But the pain was really bad every time I nursed, and just getting worse. You could try some of the natural remedies mentioned by a PP, see if they help. I'm pretty suspicious in our case though that the thrush started when I turned down our water temperature. My MIL is very involved in daycare legislation/regulations here in NS, and she told me what the hottest temp allowed in daycares is, to cut down on risk of scalding, and, of course, our water heater was set waaay above that. So I turned it down--DS isn't turning on taps yet, but it's only a matter of time, he's into everything! Blam, thrush. I turned the water heater back up when we started treating the thrush. So far, knock on wood, it hasn't ever come back now that we're washing clothes in hotter water again.

Alison
#6 of 9 Old 02-04-2005, 10:23 PM

nak
toddlers often get a lazy latch since they've discovered the easiest way to get milk, plus they're so busy and easily distractable. k was really hurting me when she nursed, but i've been working on her focusing when she nurses so she doesn't gouge and stretch my nipples.
hope it gets better for you!
#7 of 9 Old 02-04-2005, 11:32 PM

Good points made by pp's, and I also notice that once in while I'll get a tiny clog right at the opening of a milk duct, causing my nipple to hurt especially when ds first latches. The clogs seem to hang around and never get worse or better. I can carefully express them, not fun but it does help.
#8 of 9 Old 02-10-2005, 04:23 PM

I'm still Breastfeeding my 10 mth old and he bites. Any suggestions? I'll pull him off immediatly and tell him NO. He doesn't do it all the time, but when he does it hurts as I'm sure you all know.
: :infant:
#9 of 9 Old 02-11-2005, 11:24 PM - Thread Starter

thanks for all the help. it disappeared right when I was ready to do the big yeast prophylaxis! i'm just glad it's goooone

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page