22 months, teething, nursing all night - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-01-2005, 03:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm not sure what kind of advice I'm looking for. My 22 month old is teething. He has 4 teeth coming in, and they are coming in very slowly. He's been fussy for pretty much the last year. Seems like he's always got some teeth on the way, and for some reason they take forever to get there. Anyway, he's decided that he wants to nurse all night long. If I try to get it out of his mouth, or he wakes up, then he needs to nurse. If I try to tell him "no" then he throws a total tantrum, cries and screams, even sits up in bed and points to the door and says "Da Da!!" (DH sleeps with my 4 yr old in the other room.) He wakes up very easily so even if I can get it out of his mouth, he usually wakes up a minute later, and back in it goes. I've had some success in the past with telling him "no" and he's been okay with that, and he's rolled over and gone back to sleep, but he's decided that he's not going to do that anymore. I've given him dye free motrin a couple of times, and that does help, but I really HATE giving him medicine. This isn't helping the fact that I'd like to get pregnant again soon (although some days I'm sure I don't want to have anymore.) I'm thinking that I might just have to ride it out until he's not in as much pain. However, with my luck, his 2 yr molars will start coming in. So if anyone has suggestions, let me know!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2005, 03:20 AM

*just hitching along for the ride, hoping for some good hints*

You aren't alone...

our ds is going to be 23mo next week

oh man can I not wait for all these darn teeth to come in....
My nipples are sooo sore in the morning
and my back hurts from twisting around a wriggling toddler
and I'm starting to feel as whiny as ds

so...umm...
bring on those suggestions, mamas!

mom to three boys:  reading.gif(18 bigeyes.giffencing.gif(10&7)
Old 02-01-2005, 11:41 AM

DS is 20 months and has a mouthful of beautiful teeth but, like you describe, he has been nursing virtually all night for several months. I have no suggestions but just wanted to let you know you're not alone. My own approach has been just to ride it out. Sometimes, if DS is really tired, he'll fall back to sleep without nursing but that's a rare occasion. The thing that gets me the most is how many people comment with surprise when I say, "he is still not sleeping through the night".

I hope your DS's teething gets less painful for him (and you!) soon.
Old 02-01-2005, 03:48 PM

My kids all teethed hard. We did pain meds, homeopathics and kept a wet washcloth next to the bed for an occasional substitute.

Slow teething may call for calcarea carbonica (a homeopathic remedy) rather than just getting the combination remedy.
Old 02-01-2005, 04:05 PM

I have a 20 month old as well, and we co-sleep. He goes through stages where he only (!?) nurse 2-3 times a night, to times when it seems constant. Sometimes he's snoring, I take the nipple out, and he's wide awake - how do they know!

No advice here, just another nursing couple in the same boat!

Cheers,
Tracyn
Old 02-02-2005, 09:23 PM

My 22 mo. daughter is always teething especially at night. She also has most of her teeth. She tends to want to keep the breast in her mouth and wakes up about every two hours from 10pm to 12am and then every 90 minutes after that. It was just about driving me nutty because of the constant touching. We use a little clove oil and from time to time I take valerian, it translates well through the milk and quickly. If you decide to go that route, use the valerian in apple juice, it has virtually no taste or smell. If she's up to it, little chamomile tea helps soothe.
Old 02-03-2005, 02:06 PM

I have absolutely no advice - just chiming in that I am with you!!!! My son is 15 months and working on all four molars The past week I feel like I have not slept at all. We co-sleep and he is pretty much attached to me all night. It is very challenging and nothing seems to help soothe him but suckling. I keep telling myself "This too shall pass."

User Tag List