Donating Blood while Breastfeeding? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 02-06-2005, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can you donate blood while breastfeeding? There's a blood drive coming up at our church, and I'm a little unclear.
#2 of 11 Old 02-06-2005, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

I just did a little web research, and it seems like it's OK to donate blood while EBFing. http://www.lalecheleague.org/FAQ/blood.html

I don't know why I prefer to l ask a question here before I check Google.
#3 of 11 Old 02-06-2005, 11:45 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
I have, at least once. The last time I tried, I was low (1% point) on iron so I couldn't. If you're unclear, you can call the Red Cross and talk to a nurse. If I remember correctly, they just told me to make sure that I drink enough fluids and don't leave if I felt dizzy (same stuff they tell others).

Go for it!
Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.
#4 of 11 Old 02-06-2005, 11:57 AM

I did it when DD was younger and I ate/drank before and after and still felt ill...I wouldn't of done it....
#5 of 11 Old 02-06-2005, 12:19 PM

Where I live, you can donate blood only after the baby is six months old. I don't know if it has to do with possible blood loss at birth or what?

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#6 of 11 Old 02-06-2005, 12:59 PM

i've done it several times. i just space them out far apart. drink lots of fluids and make sure i eat great meals for the next week or too (i try anyways, but you know, it's easy to skip...)
the last time was in october. in fact, that time they didn't even question whether i did or not. but, i guess that comes up when they want to know when your last period was.
i've only be refused once in the last 5 years, and that was because i had a low body temp. too low to draw, even though i offered to run around the bus for awhile. they did not like that. (i have low body temps normally)
if you want to do it, are in good health, and plan to take extra good care of yourself for afew days...do it!
#7 of 11 Old 02-06-2005, 01:04 PM

yikes, i almost forgot, i did get real dizzy the last time. i had to sit with my feet up and drink a can of pop.
not trying to scare , just want you to be aware of some of the things that can happen.
#8 of 11 Old 02-06-2005, 04:30 PM

I donated blood regularly until I got pregnant and haven't been back in a while because I was worried about BF'ing. I tend to get dehydrated, even though I carry water with me everywhere and feel like I'm drinking and eating constantly. I have never had a problem with blood donations before, but I think I will wait until we're closer to weaning (like maybe only nursing once or twice a day) before I am back at the RedCross blood donation center.

I would like to donate again, feel kind of guilty about staying away so long, but I know I need to take care of ME sometimes too

Mom of (11/27/03) and (9/29/06).
#9 of 11 Old 02-06-2005, 04:53 PM

I gave blood for the first time when DS was 4 mos or so and have given once since then, and I am due again on Friday.

I think how you will feel after you give just depends on you period and doesn't have that much to do with nursing. Though you should drink more fluids than normal since you will be draining yourself of fluids through nursing and the blood donation.

I have never had a bad reaction to donating. I can give blood then just go about my day like nothing, but that is just how my body is. I do tend to be a little more thirsty, but no ill effects. I have been giving blood since I was 17, I was part of the 1 gallon club in CA by my 19th Bday. I just feel like I am doing my part to help out those in need, especially since they always need my blood type.

I say if you have given blood in the past and you didn't have any ill effects then go for it, but be sure to eat and drink before you go and drink more than normal after you donate. If you have ill effects (like passing out) then I would be very cautious or not give at all. An ex friend of mine use to get so light headed she would pass out EVERYTIME she would give blood. It got really old. Her body just doesn't have the capability to loose that much blood.
#10 of 11 Old 02-06-2005, 06:56 PM

I do apheresis and give platelets while BFing. It doesn't take as much out of me and does not make me dehydrated like giving a whole blood unit would. Plus, there are many uses for platelet transfusions, so I am still helping out. Maybe you can look into this. Your body replaces the platelets given very quickly.

Our local blood center nurse (it is not a Red Cross center) allowed me to donate platelets once my DS turned 1 yr old.
#11 of 11 Old 02-06-2005, 10:10 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I donated when DS was about 3 months old. I probably should have waited as it turned out. I got more lightheaded than usual, despite having extra "juices" there. Fortunately I lived all of maybe 200 yards from the blood drive location and a friend's son helped me get home by carring my other stuff while I carried DS (or did he carry DS? it's been so long....argh

I only donated once after that, had a systemic allergic type reaction to the stupid latex touriquet, decided it wasn't worth my getting sick since they were unwilling at that time to bother getting nonlatex equipment. I should check into that again now that I have wheels....

"What will you do once you know?"

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page