Protien? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-06-2005, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I remember reading somewhere that the protein level in breastmilk drops at about a year in anticipation of other protein sources coming from solids............anyone else heard this?
If this is true I'm worried that dd isn't getting enough protien since she can't have dairy, we don't eat much meat and we haven't really introduced soy yet nad breastmilk is still a MAJOR part of her nutrition
#2 of 6 Old 02-07-2005, 11:09 AM

i haven't heard of the protein. i did a quick search around, and still could not find anything.

i would not worry about it. when my boys were toddlers, i considered breastmilk a vital part of their diets. especially when they were teething or sick.

but, if you are wondering about good proteins sources, don't forget beans. i always make bean and rice dishes for my family to eat. it's easy, healthy, and very cheap.
#3 of 6 Old 02-07-2005, 03:49 PM

I think for many toddlers breastmilk continues to be a significant part of their diet thru the second year. I have never seen anything about a lack of protein, have you checked out http://www.kellymom.com/index.html for info? There is almost always an answer to any of my bf concerns there.

Beans are great protein sources, my ds likes them just about any way I can think of serving them, and he likes to use mashed beans as a 'dip' for other foods.
#4 of 6 Old 02-07-2005, 06:00 PM

According to Dr. Sears (and others) protein needs decrease per pound of body weight as a child ages.

They need appx (per pound)

0-6 months 1gram
6-12 months .75
1-6 years .6
7-15 years .5
Adult .36

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/4/T044400.asp

I'm fairly certain I have seen the 6months-6 years broken down further, as well but can't find it right now.

SO, you would expect bmilk protein levels to go down (since calorie needs increase, so you would want baby drinking MORE to get the same amt of protein).

Quote:
If this is true I'm worried that dd isn't getting enough protien since she can't have dairy, we don't eat much meat and we haven't really introduced soy yet nad breastmilk is still a MAJOR part of her nutrition
This was quite awhile ago, but one of the mainstream parenting magazines did a big article on the fact that most children have WAY WAY WAY too much protein and it is actually very unhealthy for them (they studied different kid's diets and some of them were getting 3-4 TIMES the amt they needed). In fact, they concluded that protein needed to be cut back because most kids weren't getting other nutrients because they were bulking up on protein so much!!!

If you look at the Sears' chart, if DD was 21 lbs, 4 ounces at a year (average for girls according to Babycenter's growth chart: http://www.babycenter.com/calculator...equestid=41043) you would see your DD needs around 13-16 grams of protein a day. *that* is a fairly miniscule amount met with easily with two CUPS of cows milk daily (leading me to believe that frequent nursing would easily produce more than than amount). When you only need 15 grams, each tiny gram counts (crackers, pasta, etc... all have *some*).

Hope that helps!

Kay

#5 of 6 Old 02-07-2005, 09:33 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks that helps alot!
#6 of 6 Old 02-07-2005, 11:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Also, I read recently in Dancing Skeletons by Katherine Dettwyler that even if it is the only complete protein source a child is getting (i.e., eatting staple grains such as rice or millet but w/o complementing legumes, meat, dairy, etc.) breastmilk will meet a child's protein needs until age two at least well enough to stave off kwashiorkor (protein-deficiency malnutrition), even if the mother is malnourished.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page