does DC think you're a 24/7 "milk bar"? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 02-08-2005, 11:42 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS is almost 21 months and nurses frequently if we're at home and also several times through the night. I notice, at home, DS will run periodically to me and want to nurse for a few seconds or minutes and then will run off and do whatever he was doing. If we are out "in public" , he definitely goes for several hours without nursing but at home, he seems to like to nurse quite frequently. I don't have a problem but I'm just curious if other toddlers this age do the same thing. By "thing", I just mean - running to you anywhere from every 20 minutes to every hour for a little cuddle and short nurse. It seems natural to me but I wanted to know if other DC did the same thing. Thank you.
#2 of 18 Old 02-08-2005, 11:49 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Absolutely. It's great, though.

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#3 of 18 Old 02-08-2005, 08:11 PM

Yep, that was my ds to a T a few months ago. now at 26 months he nurses 3-4 x a day & maybe once at night, on a normal day, and when we nurse during the day he wants to sit and take his time and cuddle and play and laugh.
#4 of 18 Old 02-08-2005, 09:46 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
yep, dd finally stopped doing that about a year ago, was driving me nuts! It was cute the first 2 years, by the 3rd.... :

Seriously?
#5 of 18 Old 02-09-2005, 12:14 AM

Thats exactly what my 3 year old DD thinks I am, however, I have stopped letting her nurse so often because I was really starting to resent it.

And I am definitely a 24 hour milk bar to my 4 month DD as well, but I dont mind that at all!
#6 of 18 Old 02-09-2005, 06:39 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Yep, another milk bar here too! I was trying to get dd to learn how to wait just a minute to nurse, like checking out at the store, I just can't hold a bfing 25 month old, and write a check at the same time! I just to be able to when she was smaller. But anyway, she isn't ready for that yet, hopefully soon though.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#7 of 18 Old 02-09-2005, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
yup, he is 17 months and also doesn't nurse much when we are out.

mama to Alex 20 Briana 16 Cory 10 and Jade 3Tubes tied and regret it
#8 of 18 Old 02-09-2005, 07:49 PM

My 2.5 DS just started nursing again. He had stopped in April, and recently wanted to start again so, of course, I let him. He will just run up to me in the middle of the day and tell me that he wants to nurse, nurse for maybe a minute, look at me, say "Now I done" and run away again. Arrrrrgggghhhh!!! But, he's obviously not ready to be done, so I'm trying to figure out some guidelines to keep myself sane. Any ideas?
#9 of 18 Old 02-09-2005, 09:37 PM

That's me the 24/7 milk bar. I know he's only 13 months, but it shows absolutley no signs of letting up any time.
#10 of 18 Old 02-10-2005, 12:38 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybaby9302
My 2.5 DS just started nursing again. He had stopped in April, and recently wanted to start again so, of course, I let him. He will just run up to me in the middle of the day and tell me that he wants to nurse, nurse for maybe a minute, look at me, say "Now I done" and run away again. Arrrrrgggghhhh!!! But, he's obviously not ready to be done, so I'm trying to figure out some guidelines to keep myself sane. Any ideas?
Maybe setting a time limit on how long he can nurse? Like telling him that he can nurse until you count to ten or something like that, maybe he won't be as interested if he knows he can only do it for a short period. Even if he still wants to nurse, at least it is just for a very brief time

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
#11 of 18 Old 02-10-2005, 10:30 AM

Another milk bar here. 19 month old dd nurses anytime, anyplace 24/7 and shows no sign of letting up. I am not sure if I mind...it's great that she loves 'her' boobs, but I'm beginning to think that the big family dh and I always wanted won't happen, because her frequent nursing means my cycle hasn't gotten back on track.

Her access to the milk bar has helped avoid some pretty serious tantrums, and comforts her when she (frequently) falls down.

I guess I'll be BFing her into college...

Single mama to a 5yo and 8yo

#12 of 18 Old 02-13-2005, 12:33 PM

I was just coming to post about this type of thing ... my dd is 16 months old and it is driving me batty ... i cant sit down without her climbing on my nap to nurse for one minute and tweek the other nipple while nursing ... between the 2 things she is really bugging me ... i intend to let her self wean but i cant handle this every time i sit down stuff ... I have actually been distracting her with other things but it is not working very well ... please dont flame me but i need my space from time to time and now i dont seem to get it ...

Oh and her favorite place to nurse is at the computer ....
#13 of 18 Old 02-13-2005, 10:35 PM

Do we have the same child???? My 16 mo old DD is driving me crazy. I feel like the bipolar BF mom. One day I can handle it the next I'm up a wall. i want her to self wean to, but she can't even get through an hour w/out wanting to nurse at least twice?

Birth Photographer mom to four blessings
#14 of 18 Old 02-13-2005, 10:55 PM

I'm there too
#15 of 18 Old 02-14-2005, 06:36 PM

Looks like the boat is getting full, and DS and I are in it too. DS is 20 months, and has come to expect 'the bar' to never close - what ever happened to 'last call'? (kidding)

I think i'll be right there with him freshman year college?? (please, no)

cheers, tracyn
#16 of 18 Old 02-15-2005, 04:36 PM

Yes, my nurslings (4.5 and 2.5) think I'm a 24/7 milkbar ... and they're right! I wouldn't have it any other way!

As my pediatrician says, "They'll probably stop nursing when they go to school ... wait, you're homeschooling ... They'll probably stop nursing when they go to college. Probably." :LOL

Mama to A (12), Z (11), H (9), C (5), A (3) and 4 angels. 

#17 of 18 Old 02-15-2005, 04:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That'd be an interesting excuse for going back to college...

breastfeeding, babywearing, homeschooling Heathen parent to my little Wanderer, 7 1/2 , and baby Elf-stone, 3/11!

#18 of 18 Old 02-15-2005, 05:23 PM

Milk bar here too. My 26 month DD will come over for just a couple of minutes of nursing and then off playing again. She does it almost every hour.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page