Biting to latch on - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-10-2005, 01:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 13 month old has 7 teeth, and seems to be getting a new tooth because he is doing the "bite latch" where he bites before he starts to suck. He does this nearly every time. Ouch! Is there any gentle way I can discourage him from doing this?
My mother told me to shout "No" at him which I will not do whatsoever! How traumatizing! Imagine?!
Anyway we plan to nurse for a loooong while yet and would like to discourage this habit so that he does not do this for the next two years. . .
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2005, 02:14 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
my DD does this too, but only when latching on while nearly completely asleep, or if she's extremely hungry. I've found that if I can remember to say "gentle nursies" right as she latches on, it helps 90% of the time. The times she has still latched down too hard, I say quite seriously, but not loudly, with a little frown "no, no bite that hurts mommy".

With us, I started right as the behavior started, and so this was mostly successful. With a more ingrained pattern, it would of course be harder.

In general, I would try to be honest about how much each time hurts you. (Unless he already treats it as a game) I think I yelled out "AHGH" a couple of times when it REALLY hurt, and she was so startled that she pulled off--once she even started crying.

Assuming he is truly unaware-- Consistent reminding should help him be more mindful. He is old enough to be learning. He just needs some feedback to realize what his body feels like when it's a good latch for you, and when it's not. Of course, smile and connect with him whenever there are improvements.

good luck!

Liora. Best way to reach me is FACEBOOK, search for "LioraP2". Jewish and Frum In Beijing, Mom of Three (mother of 3: #1 was vaccine injured at age 2m later dx with PDD-NOS, healed in 3 years with biomed. #2 unvaxed and healthy boy. #3 unvaxed amazing girl with Down syndrome using Targeted Nutritional Intervention (TNI) since infancy)
Old 02-11-2005, 04:27 PM

My son did this for a few months but at a younger age, around 7 - 8 months I think. Everytime he would latch he would chomp down (had 2 bottom teeth) them latch and nurse. He eventually out grew it and does it very rarely now at 14months.

I have also heard of the yelling at them or flicking them in the nose, which I refuse to do. But I did express how much it hurt just as if I had stubbed my toe.
Old 02-11-2005, 08:25 PM

I'm right here with you. My 14mo dd has 9 teeth and has just started nipping me everytime she latches on.....................the few times she really bit me I yelled "no" (because it hurt so suprisingly much) and the poor thing went into hysterics and wouldn't nurse The nipping I (for now) am just putting up with because the biting was so tramatic.........it hurts, but not as much as watching her become so upset. Maybe I'll get some good ideas here.........

feeling your pain (literally)

Heather

User Tag List