Mama-Led Weaning Support Thread - Page 10 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#271 of 287 Old 07-07-2005, 01:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Venice Mamacita- If it's any consolation I am the only one who puts dd to sleep EVER! Naptime, night time anytime.I guess it's what's meant to be.I mean dd is mad about daddy and quite happy to be with him but at bedtime it's "milk- nite nite" Sometimes dh is in the bed with us when she goes to sleep. Once he even had the nerve to say "shh why are you talking to her? I thought you wanted her to go to sleep" and I said "This is only the 2700th time I've put her to sleep, and this is what we do we talk a little!" Also I drank from a bottle until I was 4 and I'm fine. Why do people feel there's a certain age they have to stop? Maybe I don't get it because dd drank my bm from a bottle exactly twice in her life. She did not dig the bottle,started a sippy cup at 5 months with only water. So it's pretty much been my breast from day one...As far as the CLW I've said before I don't want her to feel like she's done something wrong,and it's just such a great comforting tool. I guess I'm not done yet-huh? Not feeling any resentment (although I've had my moments)following my maternal instict (that i never even knew i had) Why do i always feel like i'm rambling???
#272 of 287 Old 07-07-2005, 02:00 AM

Oh- and Luckymamatoo, they say when you're both ready.....my dd would never go for that. BTW I just saw AF one day after she turned 27 months, so including the pregnancy it was 37 months!!!
#273 of 287 Old 07-07-2005, 10:50 AM

I was informed I have no milk. I am officially no longer nursing I guess at 32mos.
#274 of 287 Old 07-07-2005, 11:06 AM

I haven't posted here in a long time. But I wanted to give an update on my weaning process.

Dd is now 35 months. And down to nursing about once a day. She was a SUPER avid nurser as a baby and toddler. And then about 3-4 months ago, dh and I decided we HAD to night wean- for all of us. It was traumatic- (I think that was the last time I posted here) but after a couple of weeks, she was fine, and we all felt much better for sleeping through the night. The amazing part was that this time it actually stuck- I had night weaned dd before, but had always fallen back into night nursing within a month or 2. I then also started doing "don't offer, don't refuse". And for the first time ever, she wasn't asking to nurse all day, and it actually let her cut back at her pace. Though I will admit there were times when I said no, or asked her to wait for milk, I never refused if she persisted in asking repeatedly, or got upset.

However, I did start doing the counting thing also. It started with telling dd while she was nursing-"I'm going to count to 5, then we will be all done nursing", and we did each boob that way. I still have a problem with feeling physically ill if she nurses for too long. Eventually I was able to start counting when she starts nursing- and so she nurses for about 30 sec. per side. She is currently nursing just the tiniest amonut, and I wonder when the day will come that she just forgets, and doesn't ask anymore. I feel sort of sad about it, but I am glad that I have been able to compromise and work with dd to nurse and wean at a pace that seems to be working best for her.

I have been where many of you are- dealing with a child who nurses more than I can handle, or wondering if there was something wrong because she was so attached to nursing. There is nothing wrong with your dc, and there is nothing wrong with setting limits that make you more sane. Neither means you need to wean this week.

Peace,
Laura

Laura, Mama to Mya 7/02, Ian 6/07 and Anna 8/09
#275 of 287 Old 07-07-2005, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venice Mamacita
His ped wanted him off the bottle by 27 months (he'll be 26 months on Saturday), but DH prefers weaning him from the breast first, and the milk bottle is my back-up during the night (and still no luck switching DS to a sippy cup for milk).
Maybe you can try a soft sippy cup like the Nuby with a silicone spout (at CVS and Target)
#276 of 287 Old 07-07-2005, 07:51 PM

:LOL
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneS
Maybe you can try a soft sippy cup like the Nuby with a silicone spout (at CVS and Target)
Thanks for the suggestion, but we've tried them all, including the soft spout Avent & Tommy Tippee cups. He'll drink water or tea in a sippy cup, just not milk, which is "comfort food" when Mommy's boobs aren't available.

And thanks to you all for your words of encouragement. I felt immediately better having vented. We're still working on night-weaning, and DS is doing better now that we've been back home for a week. I think I'm just going to give up the idea of weaning from the bottle right now (his ped wants him off it for dental reasons, but for the family's sanity I think weaning from the breast is our priority). I know it's a process and doesn't happen overnight, and I'm committed to being patient b/c I, too, don't want DS to feel rejected.

Here's a question -- and maybe even a different thread, you tell me: How did you get your husbands/partners on board and/or educated about the weaning process? For instance, mine doesn't seem to understand that it doesn't happen overnight, and doesn't share my concerns about making DS feel rejected . . . he says, "Every animal species has to push their young to wean," which makes me furious. Any thoughts, suggestions (besides punching him in nose?) . . . ?

Daughter since '68 ~Sister since '72 ~Wife since '97 ~ Mama since DS 5/03& DD 10/08
#277 of 287 Old 07-07-2005, 08:52 PM

I don't mean to push this.. but the Nuby's spout is really more like a nipple, not at all like the Advent... my DS is the same way but he accepts these.
http://www.epinions.com/Luv_N_Care_N...per_Cup_10_oz_
#278 of 287 Old 07-08-2005, 10:08 AM

VM- My dh has always been pretty good about understanding my boobs, my decision about bf. However, I started when dd was very small telling him about how the natural age of weaning is around 4-5 and that our child would be inclined to want to nurse that long since there are a lot of allergies in our family. So he understood dd wouldn't be early to wean. I did a lot of reading and educating dh on the value of nursing, and the natural weaning process. If your dh wants to compare your dc to animals- there are some compelling discussions of how most apes don't wean until age 4. I also made it clear that I feel nursing is a positive thing for our child- even when it was making me nuts.

I'm sure if you post a new thread, that there will be tons of moms with ideas and advice on this.

Peace,
Laura

Laura, Mama to Mya 7/02, Ian 6/07 and Anna 8/09
#279 of 287 Old 07-09-2005, 01:32 PM

I've posted a couple of times on this thread and lurk a bit.. and i was wondering if anyone was interested in morphing this into a monthly thread, as some others are? (you know. Mama-Led weaning July... August... etc....) It is hard to get through so many pages and it's helpful to read all the posts. Anyway, just a suggestion.

Now, a contribution.

Dd turned 24 months in June. In late May I went away for 2 days and 2 nights! She did really well.. because she had been nightweaned for awhile and mostly sleeps with Daddy, the nights were not an issue. During the day she asked for deedees (nursing) but dh told her i would be back and kept her busy. When i returned, she picked up right where she left off! Because she is able to go for extended periods without me I kind of slacked on the weaning, but this week have realized that if i reallly want to do it, we need to start cutting back. Since we often are busy in the mornings out of the house and don't nurse, we are currently dropping all nursing between morning wake-up (she starts in about 4 and dozes/nurses until 5:30 or 6am... I *know* that will be the hardest to give up!) and naptime. It's till free grazing after nap until bedtime. She's asking a lot in the mornings now though is easily distracted, so I think it's ok, though I notice that she is a bit more clingy. But that's ok. we're busy this summer...I'm leaving her at her "camp" (where she'll also do preschool in the fall) for an hour or so 2x a week, which is the first time I've left her with non-family members. She's doing great, though. Turning 2 was such a huge development!!

anway, rambling. We're going to keep up with this for awhile and then i'll cut back on afternoon nursings... we have a big trip coming up and i might wait until after that. I know i am going to miss nursing her. it's such sweet times... but we want to TTC in the fall and i just really feel like my body needs a break.

ok, that's all. thanks for everyone who keeps this thread rolling!

I am a homeopath, offering acute and constitutional consultations for children, babies, and parents. Long-distance treatment is easy, either phone or skype! I also am certified to offer Homeoprophylaxis, a vaccine-alternative program. Message me for more details. www.concentrichealing.com
#280 of 287 Old 07-10-2005, 02:16 AM

I go back and forth between here and the CLW thread. Still not taking any steps to cut out any nursings, but I am curious.Dd seems to be cutting down a little.If this becomes a monthly thread I would continue following.....Good Luck to all you mamas!
#281 of 287 Old 07-10-2005, 10:16 AM

Me & DH hug2.gif , adult DD lips.gif & 7 yo DS guitar.gif . 2 GSDs, 6 rescue kitties, 4 birds & a gerbil.
#282 of 287 Old 07-11-2005, 09:58 AM

Me & DH hug2.gif , adult DD lips.gif & 7 yo DS guitar.gif . 2 GSDs, 6 rescue kitties, 4 birds & a gerbil.
#283 of 287 Old 07-19-2005, 01:06 PM

Yes, thanks Kimmy for the summary and way to go neveryou mindthere, thanks for sharing your story!

My 24mo is down to 3-4 nursings on a good day, I'm pg with #2 and sitting down a little too much on dh's work days. I did get off my lazy butt and make a plate of pb&j sandwiches and a *refreshing* sippy cup of milk, changed dd and that took care of milk request. (she says "mo" and signs 'milk')

I wanted to share something I've been doing WRONG with this whole MLW thing. Nursing to sleep- I get creeped out and roll over, pretend i'm asleep and can't hear dd as her requests escalate from sleepy "mo's" to crying and pounding on my back. I just realized, after a very unpleasant morning when dh was away at work (he works 36 hour shifts at CG station), that this was just undermining dd and my relationship. I'm her mommy that listens so good to her all the time, socommunication-focused that I had her signing by 9mo, and now suddenly i'm deaf and totally incapable of comprehending her most basic requests? Wrong! I was toying with thaty method for a week or two on and off, being really ready to be DONE and not knowing anything better . . . soooo glad I found this thread!!! lots of good ideas . . . i think it will work to make jokes about day nursings, saying how silly, why nurse now when we can do x?

She has had her hands in her mouth a lot lately, but she has always been VERY oral, gnawing on board books etc since she was very small. not sure whether to use that as an indication of how peaceably she's moving toward weaning. (my one really good mommy friend used that as her main indicator when weaning her dd at a little over 24mo. she's the only weanling i've been around)

but will she EVER sleep w/o milk? I don't want to wean her to something else, ie bottle or paci. At least not at this point. DH and I are in an unpleasant holding pattern; we'll know in about 2 weeks whether we'll be able to make a major move. Tough to be consistent in big things when somehting so big is up in the air. I guess I should spend my days loving the status quo: DD okay to sleep in her big girl bed on other side of house. would be nice if I didn't fall asleep there too for most of the night, but this duty rotation at least I didn't backslide and cuddle her into the old family bed while dh was away at work.

celebrating small victories: Last night she woke up in the middle of the night and i told her i was here and she could go back to sleep. She fussed but did it! W/o milk. I just stayed very low key and nonchalant (if a not-wanting-to-nurse-pg-sleepy-mama can feign nonchalance in that situation she is smart and has a strong sense of herself (projecting??). Arguing/trickery will only make her dig her heels in, ya know?

Visualising myself sitting on a spring that is activated by her approach to my comfy armchair,

Erin

PS IMHO this thread is a little too hard to find
#284 of 287 Old 07-20-2005, 09:20 PM

Hi all!
I am 18 weeks pregnant and still nursing my 2.5 yr old. We have been "gentle weaning" for a couple of months now. Some on his own, some from my encouragement. We Have cut down the nursing CONSIDERABLY and to be honest I am quite shocked on how well it has gone. However, we are down to nursing 3 times daily (morning, nap , and bed). Although he has been used to nursing to sleep, at night, he nurses on both sides as long as I kind stand it and then falls asleep playing with my hair. Nap time has been difficult 'cause it is too light outside for him to fall asleep that way so if he doesn't fall alseep fast, I can't stand to nurse him as long as he needs to sleep, and we end up fgoing for a drive.
So, I keep mentioning I can only nurse him as long as I can stand it. I'm not painful, it just ANNOYS me. I try so hard to give him enough time to at least relax but lately it just sends me to tears. Like another poster mentioned, itt kind of creeps me out now.The other thing is that how can he relax nursing while I am tensed up hoping that he will be done soon and thinking of how much I can't stand the way he nurses now. I think the latch has changed due to my breast changes. I cry because a) I can't help it b) I can't stand the nursing c) because I'm so sad about the whole thing.
I'm feeling that if I am having such an uncontrollable emotional reaction that I should just cut it out completely. However, I was hoping that since he basically night weaned himself, that maybe he would take care of the rest.
I am having such an emotional pregnancy this time and dealing with the normal 2 yr old stuff sends me to tears, too. But the nursing is really getting to me.
Sorry for the vent but I need help, support, something.
Thanks!
Karen
#285 of 287 Old 07-21-2005, 01:36 AM

It sounds like the hormonal thing is kicking in.When I was first pregnant I was such a wreck.My tolerance level was so low.So bless you for still nursing. I hope that you'll feel better soon whatever you decide to attempt.The one suggestion I can make is to remember to breathe. We all have times where all you can think about is dc going to sleep/being done etc and it's THOSE times that it takes forever! When I relax and breathe dd goes out in 5 minutes. It must be very trying for you.Alot of nurslings seem to stop or all but stop during pregnancy.One other thing..i realized there were many times dd would nurse forever at night,and it was usually because she just wasn't tired yet.Does ds have a set bedtime or maybe he's just storing up for the night!Sorry if I'm talking too much-
#286 of 287 Old 07-29-2005, 03:36 PM

This thread has been a huge encouragement to me today! I'm not 100% ready to wean (dd is 16 mths old) but her biting is getting out of control!! It's just nice to hear other AP moms who are falling somewhere in between total-CLW and total cold-turkey MLW.

Up until now, our nursing experience has been very pleasant. When she's had teeth coming in in the past - she would bite from time to time & I tell her we have to be gentle to mommy's "boos." When she bites (arm, etc.) while nursing, I remind her - only kisses, no bites! - and she gives a little kiss. But the nipple bites are becoming a major stress for me (she has eight teeth - these are SERIOUS bites!) and I have been trying to delay or distract her from some of the daytime nursing, which is when she bites the most. Anyone else dealing with this? I feel very encouraged reading through this thread - it's tough to find weaning info for toddlers!
#287 of 287 Old 07-29-2005, 03:45 PM

Hi everybody. I am new to posting but I just weaned my four year old daughter last night and I am feeling really tense. I know four years old is plenty old enough but it is the way I did it that is bugging me. She turned Four on July 6th and that was supposed to be "weaning day" but I let it slide. Well yesterday she didn't want me to go to a meeting @6:30 pm so I said If I stay no more babu(her name for nursing) ever again. Oh I have been tandem nursing for almost 15mos.I told her that if she can't give mama a little space and a little break and a little rest that I cannot continue to nurse two kids. I am done nursing her but I just feel really bad about how I did it. Oh and my husband is going our of town for a week on monday so he can't really pick up the slack. Great timing huh?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page