2 yo throwing up after nursing first thing in am? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-14-2005, 05:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
x-posted to toddlers.
My 23 m.o. has been doing something rather odd the last couple of days. On Saturday morning she woke up to nurse at 6:15 (we night weaned semi-successfully a few weeks ago, but 6 or so seems to be about as late as she'll go b/f insisting). She then went back to sleep, but then 1/2 hr later suddenly threw up. It didn't seem to be painful wretching--more like spit-up, actually, where suddenly the milk (all of it) just came back out. And then she was fine! She nursed again, had bkfst, and went on to have a normal day.

The same thing happened today (Monday)--she woke at 6 throwing up, except that she didn't have anything in her stomach so nothing came out. I thought she must really be sick, so I got her up & walked her into the bathroom to throw up on the rug there (since it's washable), and she just lay down & put her head on the rug. Then she wanted to go back to bed, so I got some towels & back we went. And we nursed, she went back to sleep on top of me, and then 20 min. later back it came--not on the towels, but on me. The joys of motherhood...

And then she was fine. She nursed again, then started playing in bed, so we got up.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? We used to have a dog w/ an irritable stomach, and we had to feed him at night or he'd get up & start heaving at 3 am. Part of me thinks we should have this checked out, except that she seems fine, is eating normally (or as normal as it gets for a toddler) and just takes it in stride. And I'd hate to subject her to unnecessary tests. Really it's more of an annoyance, since a) it interrupts her (and my!) sleep, and b) it means washing the sheets every time it happens.

I started thinking that maybe it's something about nursing & then lying down again, but why would it happen now & not at the beginning of the night?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2005, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
To be clear: Saturday it happened after she nursed but today it happened (or at least started) before she nursed?

:headscratch: indeed
Old 02-14-2005, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Hi Wendy!

Yep, Sat. it was out of the blue. Today she woke up kind of making up throwing up noises, and I think maybe threw up a few drops of something. Then it stopped, then she nursed, then 20 min. later gave me the shower.

Maybe I'll call the LC's at our hospital. And I guess it wouldn't hurt to call her primary care doc--she's bf'ing friendly. I get so nervous w/ anything nursing-related though, in case they bring up the big W.
Old 02-14-2005, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Do you wake up fairly engorged? The only thing I'm thinking is that it's possible she's just drinking way too much, especially if she's lying down. It comes back up because she ate too much. In this case, it's something that would go away once your supply evens out in response to the night weaning. That doesn't explain the gagging before nursing this morning, though. That's why I clarified.

I took several vomit baths last week. It wasn't fun. In that case, we knew it was a bug, though, and it hasn't returned.
Old 02-14-2005, 07:07 PM - Thread Starter

hmm...maybe you're right about the lying down/drinking too much thing. If she wakes up tomorrow, I'll try limiting it. Interesting that it's happening now, and not 2 wks ago when she first started sleeping thru on a semi-regular basis.

No, I'm not noticeably engorged, but otoh I haven't noticed that effect for a long time. Last time I was engorged at all was when I went to NH for that interview (Oct.) and 2 days of pumping just did NOT do the job. So in addition to buying new interview clothes, spending a month prepping, having to take 3 days of vacation, and then NOT getting the job--I nearly ended up w/ mastitis! :

Oh, sorry, that's another issue isn't it! Not that I'm bitter or anything... :LOL

Anyway, these particular baths aren't all that bad--it smells a bit, but it's mostly mama milk so it's not so bad.

User Tag List