Desperate to loose weight - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 02-28-2005, 10:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How can I loose weight while nursing? Cutting calories doesnt make a difference, excersising does not make a difference. Its just enough to maintain. When I was younger I lost weight by using xenadrine(i know evil... : ) and not eating, and thats really NOT an option right now.

WHo is back down to pre preg weight, and HOW did you do it?
any of these trendy diets safe to try while nursing?
or just suck it up (or IN rather ) and deal until dd weans?

Im a broc1.giflovinghippie.giffly-by-nursing2.gifcd.gif  novaxnocirc.gif
#2 of 9 Old 03-01-2005, 01:48 AM

i have a 9 month old and have about 8-10 lbs left on me..(I gained 60 : ). I do excerise about 25-30 min 4-5 times a week moderate level. I also follow the WW BFing program. Its basically getting a few cals a day and eating fruits and veggies and drinking water and making sure you get your calcium in.

Shelly, Mom to Sophia 5 Nicholas 3 & 2 Angels
Its a GIRL! Alyssa Ann 6/29/10 7lbs 5 oz
#3 of 9 Old 03-01-2005, 05:14 AM

The only thing that helped me, after 2 yrs of frustration with low-fat, low-cal diets (including WW) and LOTS of exercise, was cutting out all the sugars and white carbs. My naturopath advised me to do this. I have slowly lost 35 lb in the past year and am only 10-15 lb away from my goal (prepregnancy weight). I am not doing a trendy diet or anything like that - I plan on eating this way for the rest of my life because I feel so great now!
#4 of 9 Old 03-01-2005, 11:36 AM

I had wonderful results with Weight Watchers- I am back down to pre-pre-pre pregnancy weight ( as in before the birth of my first child 10.5 years ago)! I gained 70 lbs. with DS#1 : never lost it all, gained 50 with DS#2 7 years ago and again held onto some of it, then another 50 lbs. with DD who is 14mos. old. In September, the day after my 30th bday I started WW 14lbs over my prepreggo weight with DD... I quickly lost the 14lbs. and continued to lose- lost the weight from DS#2 then DS#1 for a total of almost 60 lbs.!!! I weigh a few pounds less than I did when I got preggers with my first in college! Hard to believe! I highly recommend WW, they have a plan especially for nursing mommas. I followed the plan to a tee-which if you haven't tried it before is very easy-and adjusted my nursing points as DD started using other foods more, though she was (and still is) a nurisng-hound! I also commited to aerobic exercise 3xweek for atleast one hour. I am now a lifetime member- I have maintained my weight for 10 weeks! It seems like so many people say that nursing makes the weight come off quickly which was NOT the case for me! But once I was on a plan that worked I think the nursing aided the quick weight loss. Good luck- and don't give up! You CAN loose the weight without jeopordizing your nursing relationship (I am NAK right now!). If you have any questions feel free to PM me! Take care, Becki
#5 of 9 Old 03-01-2005, 02:06 PM

it took me two years after my first was born to lose all my pregnancy weight. I don't own a scale. I don't know how much I weigh. And I don't care. Cutting out refined/processed sugar and white flour is the only thing that has ever worked for me when I want to lose weight. Added bonus is that when I cut that sort of bad stuff from my diet, I just feel better overall!

here's a link to some great information from Kellymom:
http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/mo...eightloss.html
#6 of 9 Old 03-01-2005, 03:47 PM

uhhhh...I am right there with you....
I lost all my pp weight with my dd in two months! Now I am here staring down a year and still not a pound has come off! I even gained 10lbs when I began to workout! I work out 4-5 times a week and have done this for two months.

I eat very, very well...those white flour products and refined sugars have long been banished from my family's diet! I am heavy on the veggies, light on the sat. fats and whole grain everything!

I even eat small portions!

I miss my cute, can wear anything, flat tummy body!!!!!!!

but I will be nursing as long as my ds wants it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (and that makes it all worth it)

Eden yikes.gif, working on a PhD in Education mama to Laurelleshamrocksmile.gif (16), Orijoy.gif (6), Yarrowfaint.gif (4) and Linusfly-by-nursing1.gif (1) partner to Brice. 
#7 of 9 Old 03-04-2005, 11:32 PM

Eat healthy, exercise and buy bigger jeans I see you are a single mom, kids don't care if their mom isn't thin. My children and I were much happier when I stopped worrying about my weight.

: Grandmother , 3 Adult Sons

#8 of 9 Old 03-05-2005, 12:52 PM

Losing yor pregnancy weight can be really frustrating, but it is possible! Those crash diets will make you sick.

I was fortunate to be back to my pp weight within 5 months of having my dd, but not without effort! (Getting back to my original fat-to-muscle ratio took a few moths more.) Cutting calories and exercising will help, but that means doing it the correct way and being honest with yourself about what's really going on. (Anyone about to flame me, please note that I am not one of those people who was "born skinny!" Weight was always a struggle for me! One day I just got fed up and started really exercising and eating right. Said bye-bye to 30 extra pounds and have been happier/healthy since.)

I don't mean to sound like a fitness magazine but one thing you can do is keep a journal of all the food you eat. All the food, every meal, every glass of juice, every stray potato chip and nibble of carrot. Do it for at least a month. You'll be able to look back and assess your true calorie intake,and also spot the times where you are most likely to overeat. (I know I always want chocolate around 9pm.) Read food labels to find out what's really in your food. Many products are billed as "healthy" but still have tons of calories/saturated fat.

A few suggestions for things that may help: 1) Eliminate white flour from your diet and eat whole grains instead. This is way healthier for you whether you lose wieght or not. 2) Try "perimeter shopping" in the supermarket. Generally, the fresh fruits/veggies, dairy, and other whole foods tend to be located around the outer perimeter of the supermarket, while the processed foods are in the middle rows. The less time you spend shopping in those middle rows, the better off you are! 3) Definitely don't go to the supermarket without a shopping list! 4) If it interests you, eating vegetarian meals once or twice a week may help you lose weight, so long as you don't take it as an opportunity to eat lots of heavy sauces and cheese. 5) If you think you're hungry, drink a glass of water and wait 20 minutes. If you're still hungry, then have a nutritious snack. These are just some thoughts that have worked for me and others I know.

Motherhood tends to make us slightly more sedentary than we were before we had babies. If we SAH we tend to be cooped up a lot, especially in winter. Even if we work our evenings are generally spent at home instead of going dancing, etc. So even if you're exercising, you still need to find ways to work more activity into your daily routine. I mean little things like doing calf raises while you hold the baby, going for walks, or dancing with your baby. And doing your regular exercise on top of that. It's effort at first, but after a while it becomes second nature, even enjoyable.

I really feel that healthy weight loss isn't possible without exercise. As you begin to exercise, you may not see the scale budge at all. When you start to exercise you will gain muscle mass, and muscle is very dense - so even if you lose some fat, the muscle mass gain will make it appear that you haven't lost weight, or that you even gained weight. It usually takes a few weeks for the scale to move. So don't get discouraged right away! You need to get moderate cardiovascular exercise for 1/2 hour or more at least 4 days a week. Walk, run, pop in an exercise video - whatever you enjoy doing. If you don't like it, you won't do it. You can also try adding some strength training to your routine as that will boost your resting metabolism. (i.e. you'll burn more calories while you're just sitting there.)

If, after all of this, you find that your weight still won't budge, or you are gaining weight, see your doctor. Some women develop problems with their thyroid after they have a baby, and an underactive thyroid can lead to weight gain, depression, etc.

Remember also that all of our metabolisms slow down as we age. The amount of exercise that was sufficient to keep you looking fit at age 17 won't cut the mustard today. (Unfortunately!)

In the meantime, love the body you've got today and honor it by taking the best careof it that you can. You'll be such a great role model for your child!

So I've rambled on loooooooonnggggg enough, hope some of this helps! Good luck to you!
#9 of 9 Old 03-05-2005, 01:23 PM

I am another ww beliver.

When I got pregnant I was heavier that I would have liked. In fact, I was the weight I was the FIRST time I started weight watchers

so, I wanted to lose my baby weight, and then some. Anyway, I too found ww to be effective. I really haven't had a chance to really really exercise, but Im always wearing Ella and am relatively active.

I have lost over 10 lbs since I started ww and I have found it to work really well.

Anyway, I know how frustrating weight loss can be!
good luck mama!
sarah

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page