2nd pregnancy, doc says i need to wean my 14 month old... HELP! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-03-2005, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am 13 weeks pregnant with my second child. Unfortunately, last week I had some heavy bleeding along with cramping. My ultrasound showed I'm having a subchorionic hemorrhage. It started at 8 cm, but is now down to 5 cm, thankfully it appears to be healing. The doctor says things look good, right now, but she can't promise anything.

At my follow-up appointment yesterday, the doctor told me I need to stop nursing my 14 month old. She said nursing can cause uterine contractions, and I should avoid that risk since I'm having a complication with my pregnancy. I had no plans to wean my son. I was hoping he would wean himself. I am very torn about this. I just can't believe that breastfeeding could at all be harmful-- to me or to my unborn child. It just doesn't seem right. I would think that my body doesn't react the same way to nursing now as it did when my son was a newborn.

I can't find anything online about nursing and subchorionic hemorrhage. I only saw a post in a servey on kellymom.com, where a woman said she had a subchorionic hemorrhage, and her doctor discouraged nursing but she did it anyway. She had no problems.

How can I find out if this advice from my doctor is good/true? I just can't cut off my son right this second. I wouldn't even know what to do to begin weaning. Honestly, he doesn't nurse nearly as much as he did as a newborn, of course. Maybe 4-6 times per day. And it doesn't last much longer than 15 minutes. Sometimes less.

I haven't called LLL yet. Any LLL leaders out there? Any thoughts, suggestions, advice? HELP. I don't want to wean my 14 month old.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2005, 03:41 PM

No advice here but a huge ((hug))...

I'm sure someone here will know something.
Old 03-03-2005, 03:55 PM

generally nursing doesn't provide strong enough contractions to cause a miscarriage. If you are already in the process of having one it can help it along, like it can help along your labor contractions.
I'm ill right now and am not sure if things are coming out the way I intend them too so I hope that makes sense.

Do some reading at www.kellymom.com

oh, and I'd suggest to look for a midwife!

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
Old 03-03-2005, 06:31 PM

Nursing can cause uterine contractions, esp in the third trimester. That's why nipple stimulation is often suggested as a natural means to induce labor. Some docs say that women with a history of miscarriage and/or preterm labor should wean if they are pregnant, to reduce the risks of miscarriage/preterm labor in the current pregnancy.

However, from what I've read, bfing during pregnancy does not up the risk of miscarriage or preterm birth. It sounds like drs recommend it as a "safety" measure, but there's no data that I can find to back it up.

HTH,
Nancy

A writer/runner/thinker/wife with two daughters (11/02 and 8/05), one dog, three cats, seven fish, and a partridge in a pear tree... in Vermont.
Old 03-06-2005, 03:19 AM

:
Old 03-06-2005, 03:28 AM

I dont know a thing about it, sorry. But logically it seems to me since you are healing and still bf;ing it does not seem to be an issue. And maybe (and I know you may not want to hear this) once you get to a certain point your son will self wean(my dd did when she was getting only tiny amounts of colostrum from me) and it wont be an issue. The suggestion of a midwife is a good one. Like I said, I know nada about this, but good luck and I hope you arent forced to cut him off early.
Old 03-06-2005, 04:14 AM

I don't have it handy, but there is some excellent evidence-based, scientific information about this in the Breastfeeding Answer Book. You might ask your dr. if weaning your ds will guarantee anything other than an unhappy nursing duo.....I think calling your local LLL leader is a great idea, b/c she can read to you from the Answer Book about weaning and miscarriages. Sorry I'm not more of a help. I'm thinking Adventures in Tandem Nursing has info, too....Unfortunately, there isn't one *best* way to do this, other than read all you can, seek out the information, and then just follow your instincts and your heart. You won't go wrong.

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

Old 03-06-2005, 02:24 PM

I had soem complications thru out my entire pregnancy...mostly just very sever hypermesis...but I did have cramping and bleedign in the first weeks also...I was strongly encouraged to wean...which wasn't anoption for me...we are still enjoyign a wonderful nursing relationship and my youngest is 21 mtsh.
however I really beleive you need to look to yoru self for the answer...you know your body, your child and your new baby better than anyone eles.
what does your heart tell you?
for us I knew that my complications had nothing to do with nursing and I trusted my body would tell me when I needed to stop....does that make sense?
I know it wasn't easy, but I had simialr issues with my first and ofcourse I wans't nursing thru that pregnancy

I was also very lucky to have a very supportive Ped, so that helped too.
But as a PP said, it sounds liek yoru body is healing, and you ahev continued to nurse.

I went on to have a very healthy 8lb 11 oz son who finally made his appeareance 12 days late:LOL after gettign to know who is is a bit better i now he isn't really worried about deadlines and tends to do everythign at his own pace, oh and he loves a nice warm cuddle place to snuggle best of all:LOL

good luck mama! I wish you to most wondeful pregnancy and if you do decide to continue to nurse, I promise ti will eb all worth it, wheather you tandem nurse or not, I think it helps to build a very strong bond between siblings
Old 03-06-2005, 03:28 PM

From everything I have read, there are women who do need to wean while pg.

One simple test to determine if you are one of them is: Does you doctor expect you to stop all uterine contractions (so you can not have vaginal intercourse *OR* orgasm *OR* sexual nipple stimulation) or is it only the ones possibly caused by nursing?

What does your doctor say about that?

Either way, you have to make the decision, but often times the encouragement to wean is done out of ignorance. What percentage of patients of your OB nurse through pg? Have you asked? Has the doctor been supportive in the past few weeks--- seeming knowledgable about nursing through a pg/realizing it is totally safe or were there already misgivings out there? My DD's ped encouraged me to wean while pg with DS, as did the OB I saw (not so for my midwife who nursed succesfully through pg). The ped responded well when confronted with facts, the OB did not. One of them still provides health care for my family, one doesn't.

User Tag List