Snappy comebacks needed for ignorant comments on nursing beyond infancy. - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 36 Old 03-10-2005, 11:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
How did you respond Marisa?

I've not had anyone say that to me to ask my questions. I suppose that that's actually a good thing.

"What will you do once you know?"
#32 of 36 Old 03-11-2005, 12:42 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thankfully no one has bother me about it cause I'd probably tell 'em to suck it...
#33 of 36 Old 03-11-2005, 01:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsfatty
Question: "Are you still nursing?"

"Yes!!!" (then hold up your hand expecting the other person to high-five you)
: I love it!

Rachel, married to Andy, mama to Aubrey, Lauren, Sasha, and *surprise* Baby #4, due November, 2011
#34 of 36 Old 03-11-2005, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirstie
Sera, i would love to have been there when you said that. Anyone at that party respond to that? That is an excellent "comeback"!
They looked at me like I had 5 heads. :
My mom had a grin from here to california.
My "MIL"(DD's Fathers Mother, who bf each child for longer than the previous finally going for 3.5 yrs with the youngest) Smiled real big and chuckled. :LOL

I said it more for the sake of my SIL though. She was RIGHT there and I wanted her to see me stick up for myself. She wants to bf but she thinks that it would be IMPOSSIBLE to go beyond one year. Lack of support, having to go back to work at 12 weeks pp, having a baby with teeth etc, the usual concerns!! (She will be happily mistaken, I hope!)

Im a broc1.giflovinghippie.giffly-by-nursing2.gifcd.gif  novaxnocirc.gif
#35 of 36 Old 03-11-2005, 09:20 AM

The great thing about being an older mom is the ignorant comments and subtle pressure of strangers and family don't seem to work on my Psyche the way they did when I was younger.I love giving a serene monlisa smile and some smart comment,I've always nursed till they graduate.......,And watching jaws drop etc........
#36 of 36 Old 03-11-2005, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meiri
How did you respond Marisa?

I've not had anyone say that to me to ask my questions. I suppose that that's actually a good thing.

Considering that the biddies were all sitting around *my* dining room table, drinking *my* tea and taking their sweet time getting their show on the road, I wasn't in the mood for a confrontation -- I just wanted them out of there.

I think I said something along the lines of "I'm pretty sure that's not the case", and went right on ignoring them and folding diapers. (Of course, they were astonished that I used cloth diapers too, but at least they called them 'cute' -- Fuzzi Bunz, etc.)

She hasn't brought it up since, and we were just at a party with all the same friends plus others right before Joey's birthday. While the other grandmothers showed off their grandbabies and complained about the different nasty effects of formula, I just said, "Really? Joey's still nursing and he's just doing so great with it!"

I don't know if that pleased MIL (that her grandson was 'superior') or if it annoyed her that she couldn't commiserate with her friends. Whateva.

mama to Joey (1/04) and Teddy (4/08) :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page