Preggo & need to wean 24 month old (advice?) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 03-05-2005, 02:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am 11 weeks pregnant with baby #2, and HAVE to wean my 24 month dd within the next 3-4 weeks, because I will have to have a cerclage (a cervical stitch) put in with this pregnancy (I had one with dd too). When you have a cerclage in place, you are not allowed ANY uterine contractions, and as we all know, nursing can bring those on.

Anyhow, we are doing really well with the weaning. First, I cut out the feeding just before bed, by letting daddy take her to bed. Next, I night weaned her. Up until a few weeks ago, she would sleep about 5 hrs -- then wake every hour or two to nurse until morning. Of course, we co-sleep, so I was lazy and just rolled over and nursed her. Well, I explained to her a few weeks ago that night time is for sleeping -- not nursing. And that we nurse when the sun comes up. She cried a little for two nights, but always let me hold her and comfort her back to sleep. By night 3, she was SLEEPING THRU THE NIGHT -- in our family bed. WAHOO! (I am very proud of this!)

SO -- we are down to 2 feedings a day. One, first thing in the morning, and one for nap time. MY QUESTION TO YOU GUYS WHO HAVE BEEN DOWN THIS ROAD: Should I now bring her down to ONE feeding per day? Or should I nix both at once? I am leaning toward the latter -- because it seems like if I only feed her once a day, she will be DESPERATE for that one feeding, KWIM? It almost feels more cruel to bring her down to one.

Any been-there-done-that advice would be greatly appreciated.

Boy am I gonna miss nursing my sweet little DD. : (

Thanks much!
Marni
#2 of 9 Old 03-05-2005, 03:52 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
No help, sorry,

just a

I hope all goes well.

"What will you do once you know?"
#3 of 9 Old 03-06-2005, 01:30 AM

Another

!

It seems to me that it might be easier for your dd to give up naptime nursing first. Since she has been night-weaned, the sleep-nursing association shouldn't be as strong as it used to be. When she is down to nursing only in the morning, you could try substituting something (milk of some type, maybe) for that last nursing. (I weaned my 3-year-old dd this way when I was pg with my third baby.)
#4 of 9 Old 03-06-2005, 01:35 AM

I don't have any advice really I just wanted to give you a I am sure as long as you give plenty of snuggles the transition will be smooth.

Laurie (46) Wife to : Mom to 4 Grandma to :
#5 of 9 Old 03-06-2005, 01:43 AM

One mom on another site had to wean her 18 month old, and she was down to one or two feedings a day at that point. What she did, was whenever the daughter asked to nurse, she preoccupied her with something else. Offered her something else to eat or drink, brought out games to play, or cuddled her and sang or read stories instead.
She says, so far, the weaning process is going quite well.
I'm not sure if it's the best way to wean, but it worked for her.
Best of luck to you!!

heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif heartbeat.gif

#6 of 9 Old 03-06-2005, 01:48 AM

mama. What worked for me was nursing meant bed time. DS3 was more interested in staying up with dah than nurses. I second the preoccupation angle- or even a complete replacement- puzzles maybe?

Good luck, it is hard.
#7 of 9 Old 03-06-2005, 02:06 AM

What worked for us was lots of songs and stories in my lap, often with a cup of juice. That way we got plenty of snuggles, which was sometimes a challenge with my busy son. He loved songs to soothe hurt feelings or an owie. Still, at some point I had to start saying no. That was hard.

p.s. I weaned ds1 before ds2 was born, and then I was scared to let him nurse after ds2 was born in the first weeks (had to say no a couple of times), but after several weeks, I let him try when he asked. I was on and off in 2 seconds flat and basically forgot how, but he still does that every week of two. Tonight, he wasn't feeling well, and actually nursed to sleep, a first since he "weaned" almost a year ago. I soaked it in. He is now 3 1/2 and now not quite weaned afterall, so maybe your nursing relationship is not quite over yet...
#8 of 9 Old 03-06-2005, 02:11 AM

If it were me, I'd jump out of bed before she asked to nurse in the morning & then offer an exciting breakfast (pancakes, waffles, something that's a neat treat that she can help make). My dd also nurses 2x a day & that am nursing is often forgotten about if I'm not in bed when she wakes up.

As for the nap, what about trying a car nap (or starting in the car) for a few days, just to get out of the 'habit' of nursing at nap. Then offer lots of hugs, snuggles, or even maybe a video to ease into a new routine.

Good luck!!
#9 of 9 Old 03-06-2005, 02:49 PM

I would also try the get up before her and have breakfast ready to go. DD was always really *hungry* in the morning (and, of course, I was right there) so she really did need to eat right away.

As for the nap time nursing--- be reading for DD to give up napping all together. It seems to be a common occurance. I would try not to rely too heavily on the car (for too long) because you won't want to do it too long of term. Of course, in 29 more weeks there is a good chance DD will have dropped that nap anyway.

Good luck & CONGRATS on your pg!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page