Need btdt.....going to be away from dd - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-10-2005, 12:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi. I have a 19 month dd. When she is 21 months I am going to have to be away from her for 36 hours. It is unavoidable. So far, the longest I have been away from her is 12 hours. I have had no trouble with engorgement and dd had no trouble with me being gone that long. She currently nurses 5 times a day. Before and after bed and nap and once in the middle of the night. She has been skipping her middle-of-night feeding every other night at this point. I have a stash of frozen milk from before I returned my borrowed electric pump (I returned it because it was no longer working on me). She also eats tons of solids. So I am not worried about how she will cope. Dh will be with her and she is generally pretty easy going. I am worried about my supply and being uncomfortable. I have a hand pump that has never ever worked for me, not even when dd went on a nursing strike at 3 months and I almost exploded I have also never been able to hand express. In fact the only way I could ever get the electric pump to work was to have dd eating on the other side at the same time. So I will take the hand pump but am not counting on it to be of any help. Will my milk decrease significantly in 36 hours? And at this point, when I do not seem to get engorged at all anymore, will I be terribly uncomfortable?

Yooper
#2 of 8 Old 03-10-2005, 12:58 PM

When my ds was about the same age and nursing and eating similar amounts we spent 36 hours apart (pervious to that it had been 12 or 13 hours.) I never felt uncomfortable; I didn't pump.
#3 of 8 Old 03-10-2005, 04:13 PM

please excuse my ignorance ... what's btdt?
#4 of 8 Old 03-10-2005, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Hi.

btdt = been there, done that

Yooper
#5 of 8 Old 03-10-2005, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

mnnice - that is very reassuring, thanks!
#6 of 8 Old 03-15-2005, 10:29 AM

I had to be away from my 15 month old DD last month, overnight. My biggest worry had been her bedtime, because she nurses to sleep. However, she was fine - a little irritated, initially, that Daddy had no booby, but quickly got over it! :LOL

I took my hand pump with me too, although I hadn't pumped in months. I did use it, although I didn't feel terribly engorged.

I'm sure you'll do fine!
#7 of 8 Old 03-15-2005, 10:51 AM

I had to be away from my nursing 25 mo old for 4 days recently. We both did fine! She was nursing about 5 times a day too, but at least was used to being away from me during the day because I work outside the home. I did bring my Pump In Style and was glad I had it, tho' I think I would have been ok without it. I didn't get hugely engorged like I would have if she were an infant, just somewhat uncomfortable. I only needed to pump once a day the first 2 days, and then I was fine.

She stayed with dh and ds. Had a little bit of a problem with restless sleep, in fact, she woke up once and tried to nurse from ds! :LOL But overall, did fine. I didn't leave frozen milk for her, because she drinks soy milk when she's away from me.

And most important, she happily started nursing again the moment I walked in the house!
#8 of 8 Old 03-15-2005, 07:19 PM - Thread Starter

Chamamama, That makes me very relieved! Thanks for sharing!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page