Don't wanna wean but nearing the end of my rope - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-10-2005, 07:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I cross posted this in Bfing:

DS is almost 11mo and I'm about 5wks pg w/ baby #2. My nipples are sore and DS wants to nurse almost EVERY HOUR (even at night!!! )!!! It hurts quite a bit and I just don't know what to do I don't want to wean him at all (as a matter of fact, I argued w/ a nurse at my OBs yesterday about not weaning ), I just want him to go a little longer b/w nursing sessions, is that too much to ask? He eats some solids, not many though, 2x a day. I was going to start working a lunch into his schedule around 11mo, but now I'm thinking I should do it sooner. But even when he's JUST finished eating breakfast, he'll still want to nurse. I don't know what to do. Please, any help would be so appreciated.

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#2 of 3 Old 03-10-2005, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
You can set limits without completely weaning.

It's perfectly OK to stop a nursing session if your nipples are too sore, or say "no" to a request to nurse if you're really not feeling up to it.

You could try offering a bottle or cup of water at night before offering the breast- when I did that with my girls, night-nursing dropped about in half. Other mamas here should have advice on night-weaning- something I've never done but might work for you.

It's possible that your milk supply has already decreased, and your dc might be nursing more often to try and stimulate supply. You might want to consider supplementing with milk or formula, and continue nursing for comfort (when its comfortable for BOTH of you!!!)

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#3 of 3 Old 03-14-2005, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have no advice because I haven't been anywhere near your shoes. I just wanted to give you a **hug** and congrats on your pg. I agree that substituting with formula may be a good idea if you don't want to move too quickly to solids. It's not like you'd be switching an ebf infant from bm to formula. Afterall, you are moving on to other foods and formula would probably contain more fortified nutrients than most solid foods you'd give. I'd probably do that before cow's milk (I suggest trying goat first). Good luck.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page