sick mom -- how to maintain supply? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-11-2005, 12:14 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey, I have the worst stomach bug I've ever had in my whole adult life. I puked up my guts last night -- bile, dry heaves, you name it. I haven't had anything beyond a little water for 24 hours. Bleuet is nursing fine (he's sick, too) and it all seems normal -- letdowns, swallowing that sort of thing. But I am having fits about maintaining my supply. He's nursing frequently, like every 2 hours or so -- well, really, just on demand. I actually have no idea how often in time measurements, just know it's the regular amount that a normal toddler will nurse if permitted to. Anyone know anything about maintaining a good supply when you are sick as a dog?

Thanks in advance ...
#2 of 3 Old 03-11-2005, 12:50 PM

Bleu, hope you start feeling better soon!

I was sick last month and the supply took a bit hit, too. Really, I just tried to rest and drink as many fluids as possible the entire time, and within a week, it picked back up. That, and have baby nurse as much as you can. I also pump for while I'm at work, so I snuck in some extra pump sessions in there just to add more stimulation (though I wasn't getting much output at the time).

Aside from that, there's always eating oatmeal (if you can keep it down) and the other supply boosters to try. I'm sure other people can recommend other specific, and there's been lots of threads on that.
#3 of 3 Old 03-11-2005, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks so much, Sabros! As soon as I can work up to oatmeal, that's exactly what I'm going to eat.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page