Toddler decides no more nursing on one particular side? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-12-2005, 09:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
any else have a toddler who suddenly decided that he didn't want to nurse on one particular side anymore?! My ds has always preferred the left side, and I have always been pretty lopsided :LOL :LOL :LOL
Recently, He was sick for about a week and 1/2, and nursed a lot on either side, so the right side got pumped back again. Then about a week ago, he decided no more right side. AT ALL! even during naps, when I used to have him nurse the right side while he is sleeping, he has started to push it away- somehow he knows! it is so weird. It makes no sense, I know both sides produce the same flow, and I try different sides, positions. He alwasys pushes away the right side.....
I will let him nurse for as long as he wants, I firmly believe in child-led weaning... but I am wondering if this might be a sign that he is starting to begin the gradual weaning process. Lately he has been going for longer periods of time between nursings. It happened gradually, but now he mostly nurses at night and at naptime, and a little in the evening, but he will go for a 5 hr stretch or so w/o nursing, and rarely nurses while we are out anymore.
He is almost 21 mo.s and has gone thru some big developmental milestones, and seems to be more and more independent....
Just wondering if anyone has had a simalar expereince?

homeschooling mama to 8 yr old biggrinbounce.gif with a new little one(5-5-2011) babyf.gif...  h20homebirth.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2005, 12:31 AM

My son has gone through phases like that, they never lasted too long. However, he has always prefered my right boob (lopsided here also!) and at 3, he still occasionally refuses my left side. It's really funny now that he is really verbal, becuase I will offer him my left breast he will say "No, I want the good one... the big one!" while pointing to my right!!!

:LOL

I am sure it will pass.

Liz om.gif Lovin' DH partners.gif DS (12) coolshine.gif and forever missing DD angel3.gif (12/02/07) ribbonpb.gif
From the withered tree, a flower blooms~ He's here!!! So crazy in love with my  rainbow1284.gif  boy!!! 12/14/11 luxlove.gif fly-by-nursing1.gif

Old 03-13-2005, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter

:LOL glad to know I am not alone! Of course once i wrote this thread, he let me nurse with the right side a couple times during this last nap! never can figure him out- but as soon as he was semiconscious, he began pushing the right one away, and insisting on the huge left one!

homeschooling mama to 8 yr old biggrinbounce.gif with a new little one(5-5-2011) babyf.gif...  h20homebirth.gif

User Tag List