Should I complain to Girl Scouts (re: younger sibbling and GS trips.) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-15-2005, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD #2 is going to an almost overnight with her brownie troop. This is from 5 - 9:30 PM. She really wants me to go with her. DH offered to watch DD#3 but I don't think either of them would be happy if I left her with him at bedtime. (I always arrange babysitting around naptime and bedtime.) Anyway when I asked her troop leader if dd#3 could go she said she would find out. She called back and said they said "NO SIBBLINGS." (now I just moved to another state so I am not sure what the laws are here.) I told her hmm that is interesting in California by law I can take her anywhere I can go. (I think that is California's law, I know I read that law somewhere for some state. :LOL ) Anyway, does anyone know what my rights are here in Oregon? I don't think they have as many laws here as in California. I also am not sure if the troop leader told whoever she called that DD was still nursing she just told her her age. Should I call them back? Or should I just let it go figuring ppl think a 14 month old should be weaned by now?? If it wasn't at bedtime I would have NO problem leaving her with dad. But I just know if I do I will come home to hours worth of screaming for nursies. Thanks.
#2 of 6 Old 03-15-2005, 05:35 PM

Tina, my suggestion is to tell the leader you are bringing your dd as it is evening and she will happier with you than at home without you. I don't think she can prohibit you from taking your dd. If she wants to be mean, I suppose she can say your dd, the Brownie, shouldn't go, but do you think she would do this? Where is the field trip?

I am recently disgruntled with our Junior Girl Scout troop, unrelated to breastfeeding, but for being less than family friendly.

~Joan, Happy mom to 2 beautiful kiddos, one new puppy and 2 lovely felines
#3 of 6 Old 03-15-2005, 05:39 PM

Actually, you are protected by law to nurse anywhere that you are both allowed to be, but that does not mean that she can be anywhere that you are allowed to be. Such as, you couldn't take her into a bar with you, simply because YOU are allowed to be there and she is nursing. GSA has every right to say "no siblings" and not make any exceptions based on the age/nursing status of said child. If they allow you to take your dd because she's nursing (w/o stipulating that there is a no siblings with the exception of those who are nursing) then they would have to allow the siblings of all their girl scouts to attend.

However, when I lived in Oregon I took my nursling to all GS events that I attended. I never did any camping/sleepover things though because they did state that siblings were not allowed, so aside from the events that say "no siblings" they cannot tell you that you and your child can't attend.

Also, it couldn't hurt to contact those in charge and request that they change the rules for nursing siblings.
#4 of 6 Old 03-16-2005, 12:44 PM

Keep in mind things like adult child ratio, and assistant to the group with a younger child. Most of the time it's either a safety issue for the younger child, or if you are watching nursing tending to your younger child you aren't there for the older one.

Mom to ds 9 dd 7 : and dd 3/08 : if I can I go to
#5 of 6 Old 03-16-2005, 01:03 PM

As wende mentioned, you wouldn't be protected under any state law because your baby doesn't actually have the "right" to be there.

I would have an additional conversation w/the leader to see if you can determine what the "real" concern is. Is it disruption by the baby? Insurance? The facility does not allow children under a certain age? Other people's discomfort? The activities being innappropriate/dangerous for an infant or mother w/infant in arms. Perhaps that will either allow you to clarify their intent OR feel better about the situation.

Honestly, I don't think you are going to get anywhere with it. Could DH go? Is it near enough that DH could bring baby to you to nurse at bedtime? Could you go for part of it?

Good luck!

#6 of 6 Old 03-16-2005, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Honestly, I don't think you are going to get anywhere with it. Could DH go? Is it near enough that DH could bring baby to you to nurse at bedtime? Could you go for part of it?
Unfortunately DH doesn't want to go. We were on a waiting list for this event and I totally forgot about it. (we got on the waiting list in Nov.) They just called yesterday to say there was room for our troop to join in. Nothing like last minute notice. DH has a friend he hasn't seen in like a year coming to visit him on Sat. Also for the moment we only have one car. DH's is still in California. So bringing me the baby isn't an option and it is a good 45 minutes away anyway.

As far as children not being allowed at the venue; it’s a zoo. So that is not the problem. Also I wouldn't be there to "chaperon" just to spend time with my daughter. If I don't go, there won’t be another adult attending in my place. They also still charge full price for me. I am not exactly sure why there are no siblings at this event. They were allowed at the last one. Personally I don't think the leader knows anything so talking to her wont do any good. It is the person SHE is talking too I would need to talk to but I don't know who that is. Hopefully the next event the girls go to I will be able to participate in. DD has accepted the fact that since Bre can't go neither can I, but she was disappointed. Thanks for the advice. Maybe I will email the council and ask them about allowing nursing children to future events.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page