When and how many times a day does your one year old nurse? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 03-16-2005, 12:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My DD will be turning one next month. And I'm just wondering how many times a day other one year olds are nursing, especailly ones that are 12, 13, and 14 months old. My DD doenst really have an interest in solids right now. I still nurse her every 2 hours. So howm any times a day are your kiddos nursing? Is it only naptime and bedtime? During the night? Or all day long?

Kinda crunchy mama to my 3 DD's (ages 7, 4, and 6 weeks)

#2 of 31 Old 03-16-2005, 12:24 AM

Constantly. 15 mo and ... well, just constantly. If all solid foods disappeared off the face of the earth tomorrow, he would not shed a tear.

At least every 2 hrs, if not more.

On the other hand, I regularly leave him w/ a sitter for 7-9 hours at a time, and he eats very well for her. But sure does want to nurse when I get home!

He is nursing less at night, tho. Only one or twice, I think. (I don't really wake up for it, so I'm not sure.)
#3 of 31 Old 03-16-2005, 12:32 AM

Jocelyn just recently started getting into solids, but she hasn't cut back on nursing at all. She still nurses 2-3 hours during the day, and quite a few times at night.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#4 of 31 Old 03-16-2005, 12:35 AM

My dd will be 1 next week, and she is nursing just 2 times, maybe 3, per day. She loves solids, and pretty much eats with us. We marvel at how much food she eats! I don't get it!

namaste.gif

#5 of 31 Old 03-16-2005, 12:35 AM
ETW

DS is 12 months and nurses probably 10 times per 24 hours. He usually nurses before breakfast, before and during his nap, several times in the afternoon, before bed, and 3-4 times overnight. He is a big solids eater -- 3 large meals per day -- but still likes to nurse quite a bit.
#6 of 31 Old 03-16-2005, 12:39 AM

Dd still does about every two hours. Not particularly interested in solids, either. I'm starting to get some concern from relatives about it, but her growth is fine, and she's healthy and happy, so I'm not concerned. I am curious, though, about how long she'll choose milk over solids and nurse this often.

Do unto children as you would have them do unto you ::
#7 of 31 Old 03-16-2005, 02:06 AM

DS nurses 3-6 times in 24 hours, 3 on days I work, (plus 2 bottles of EBM, which he takes with varying enthusiasm according to DH), 5 or 6 on days I am home. He is an enthusiastic solids eater. Before he really got into solids around 9mo, he was nursing more like 8 times a day.
#8 of 31 Old 03-16-2005, 12:20 PM

My 13 month old ds nurses 1-2 times a day, but we're trying to wean. He's already pretty much night weaned. He eats a lot of solids throughout the day.
#9 of 31 Old 03-16-2005, 01:11 PM

You know, I just posted that DD nursed 12-14+ times daily around a 12-15 months, but I just remembered:

At one point I decided to count how many times she nursed, I got to 20 times and gave up. That was all during the day and she also night nursed, lol.

DS nursed less frequently at 1 (but more frequently at 3) and he was definately in the double digits as well.

#10 of 31 Old 03-17-2005, 02:49 AM

13.5 mo DS nurses 5-6 times during the day (after breakfast, before & after nap & sometimes to resettle during nap, before dinner, bedtime) and I don't know how many times at night, but it's a lot! Loves his solids, too.

Keeping busy with 2 boys & 1 girl ('04, '06, '08)
#11 of 31 Old 03-17-2005, 08:04 PM

My little one is 14 months old and still nurses on demand. He eats anything and everything but still needs mommies milk.

I say about 4-6 times a day.
#12 of 31 Old 03-20-2005, 01:18 AM

We are almost at a year, DD cluster nurses in the morning especially, all day if we are home. If we are out running errands, it's about every 3 hrs. We may go one 5hr stretch at night, most nights though, it's every 2-3.

We were doing solids 1-2 times a day, but she's eating more at a time and now 2-3 times a day. It has not slowed down the nursing at all though.
#13 of 31 Old 03-20-2005, 12:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristusG
My DD will be turning one next month. And I'm just wondering how many times a day other one year olds are nursing, especailly ones that are 12, 13, and 14 months old. My DD doenst really have an interest in solids right now. I still nurse her every 2 hours. So howm any times a day are your kiddos nursing? Is it only naptime and bedtime? During the night? Or all day long?

Hello mama

My baby girl turned one yesterday!!! And while she finally eats (read:feeds herself with a big mess on her highchair table and a spoon refusing to let us try to feed her) solids 3 times a day, it isn't much in the way of ingesting it. I mean she gets it in there, and enjoys it now...but just started this about a month ago or so and still nurses every 2 hours or less sometimes. At least 2 times through the night.You figure with the hugeness of growth spurts at this stage and learning to walk, talk etc........they need it. My oldest who is now 5 yrs old self weaned at 26 months and also nursed alot until about 18 mos.

Go with it mama. Totally normal.
#14 of 31 Old 03-20-2005, 01:12 PM

My ds will be one next week, and he nurses about 5-6 times a day at least. Sometimes more.
#15 of 31 Old 03-20-2005, 01:25 PM

M is 16 months and nurses anywhere from 4 to 20 times in a day.
She eats way more solids than her sister did at this age. Actually, she eats way more solids than her sister does at almost four years!

J was still nursing at least 8-10 times every day up until I got pregnant with M (when she was 23 months old). She turns four next month and nurses once or twice a week. I have a feeling both girls will wean around the same time, maybe in a year or two.
#16 of 31 Old 03-20-2005, 01:55 PM

Hmm, 3 to 4 times a day - but all night

nothing more to say I guess :
#17 of 31 Old 03-20-2005, 02:11 PM

My baby is 11.5mos. and he nurses about 5-6x per day and probably around 2-4x per night... although I'm not really sure on that one since we co-sleep. During the day its first thing in the morning, before both naps, once or twice in the evenings and before bed.

He likes solids okay. I offer 3 meals and 1 snack per day and he usually will eat a little bit. If its something he likes, he may eat a lot. He's eating some table foods and some purees but still really loves to nurse.

Sarah : , mama to Lucas (8) , Ryan (5) : , Andrew (1yr) , and someone new : due early Dec.
#18 of 31 Old 03-22-2005, 01:08 AM

DD turned one a few weeks ago and nurses 2-3 times a day..Once I started giving her a good bit of "real food" (not baby food) she starting nursing much less..She loves to eat..

She nurses first thing in the morning, at nap time and at night..Occasionally we'll slip another nursing in there..

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
#19 of 31 Old 03-22-2005, 04:00 AM

DS is 13 months and nurses 1) when he wakes up in the morning, 2) to sleep for his first nap, 3) to sleep for his second nap, 4) at least once during the evening hours, 5) to sleep at night, and 6) at least once during the night.

Hope that helps!

Laura
#20 of 31 Old 03-22-2005, 08:46 AM

DD is almost 15 mo. and nurses once in the wee hours of the morning, again when we get up, once before lunch, then after supper and finally she nurses down to sleep ...so she's around 5x a day though sometimes it is as few as 3x if we are out and about and she is distracted by various goings on.

Jenny, proud maker of red things
#21 of 31 Old 03-23-2005, 11:36 PM

DD2 is 12mths and 2wks. She nurses about every 2-3 hrs for about 6-8times during the day and about 2-3 times at night.

Sand, Mom to three girls and a new SON!!!!  babyboy.gif Born on March 7th, 2011  I get to do these again:   bfinfant.gifslingboy.gifcd.gif
#22 of 31 Old 03-24-2005, 09:45 PM

My 18 month old probably nurses 5-9 times a day and still nurses once or twice at night.
#23 of 31 Old 03-24-2005, 09:54 PM

My dd is 13.5 months old and nurses 2-3x a day. First thing in the am and last thing before bed and occasionally mid-day. She loves solids-eats three meals a day and snacks several times a day. But when she was about 11 months she was nursing in the am, before her first nap, before her second nap, an evening snack, and then before bed (5x a day) now she is just too busy...
#24 of 31 Old 03-25-2005, 11:55 PM

DS was 12 months on the 15th. I won't count because then I'll get all obsessive about it, but we're still definitely nursing over 15 times a day. Only about 6-8 of those are over 10 minutes long though. I think he see's me like the appetizer spread at a cocktail party...he literally grazes all day long, sometimes only gulping 10 times or so before running off. We aren't super consistant with solids, not a scheduled breakfast lunch and dinner kind of thing. He eats about 2 meals worth of solids over the course of a day. He nurses on and off all night, especially now that he's growing molars.
#25 of 31 Old 03-26-2005, 11:37 PM

It's hard to say ... mostly every 1.5 to 2 hours ... sometimes more! It will depend on where we are for the frequency, being at home seems to make her want to nurse more. This is day and night, that's why I love co-sleeping or i'd NEVER sleep!
Mina eats lots of solids ... 3 meals a day. She's a big eater, always has been!

HTH
--Angela
#26 of 31 Old 03-27-2005, 12:34 AM

My dd is 15 months and feeds at the least 5 times a day, she is not really that into solid food unless its something big brother is eating!!! In the night i would be lucky if she only feeds twice actually i cant remember that happening for a long time! So its 24 hour dining at our house.
#27 of 31 Old 03-27-2005, 02:36 PM

Nice to see other babies/toddlers are still nursing frequently too! Ds nurses every 1/2 hour to 1 1/2 hours when we are at home, sometimes he'll go up to 2 hours. When we are out it's more like 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours. At night he only nurses about 3 times - yay! Don't get me wrong, I love nursing him, but waking up 10+ times a night was getting a bit old (nursing lying down has never worked for us).
Ds is getting more interested in solids but even when he eats a substantial amount of solid food he doesn't reduce his nursing frequency at all!
#28 of 31 Old 03-27-2005, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama2Xander
(nursing lying down has never worked for us).
!
what is up with that, my daughter has never liked to feed laying down!!! it would make night nursing so much easier, i still try every night to get her to feed laying down, she madly protests so i spend most of the night propped up on pillows with her laying on top of me, so im definitly looking forward to her feeding less in the night (not that i can see that happening any time soon!)
#29 of 31 Old 03-27-2005, 11:34 PM

DS will be 13 months tomorrow. He nurses about 6 or 7 times during the day and 2 or 3 times at night. He eats a lot of solids, but still loves his milk.
#30 of 31 Old 03-28-2005, 02:27 PM

So nice to read this thread because it makes me feel right on track... but then I was hoping it would slow a bit in the near future... now I'm not counting on it.

dd is turning one April 19th and nurses almost anytime I offer. I wait until she really wants it which comes out to about every three hours *day and night*. I nurse her to sleep so if she needs it at nine and naptime is at 11, it will be two hours apart. If we are out having fun and keeping busy during the day, she's fine for 4 hours and can even stretch it to 5 but starts getting a bit crabby. There's no way she'll go five hours in the evening. Without crying, I mean. Solids are great, but she gravitates to dairy (cheese, yogurt)... I think, "sheesh, if its not my milk its cow milk!" I try to get in one meal with no milk so that her iron absorption isn't hindered (that's a problem that I'VE had so I'm just careful with her iron.) She was a really good eater but now she's determined to learn to use a spoon and a bowl by HERSELF so it seems she's eating less but learning more. She enjoys mealtime, but when she's done, she's done.

Sure look forward to a little less breast feeding, I must admit. I want to be able to go out at night without worrying so much about the fact that I've taken *her* milk away. She does sippy cups and spills a lot and never took a bottle, so I never got really good at pumping because what's the point? Offering water well before she's too thirsty can help me stall for a bit. I stall because I try to time naps with nursing because she almost always falls asleep when nursing. In fact that's what it really seems to be about most of the time, which is my own doing - it's just such an easy way to get a kid to take a nap!

She's never slept through the night... maybe five hours once when she was about 3 months... that's it. Ready to be done with that business.

Julie

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page