I don't want to wean but maybe I should - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 03-16-2005, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am soooo tired.

My dd is 27 months old and still nurses. Her daytime nursing on days I'm with her is like 45 second fly bys, no problem, and then a 15 minute or so nursing session when I get home from work.

However. I have nursed her to sleep nearly every night of her life ( dp puts herto sleep once or twice a week so that's the exception). Sometimes this means nursing for as long as an hour. She also nurses in the morning from around 5 or 6 am until 7 or 8 am when we get out of bed.

She is night weaned but seems to be trying to un do that; she's been up at 4 am the past four nights to nurse and hasn't really gone back to sleep. So, yes, I am really really tired.

the other thing is that she seems to have forgotten how to latch on well. Usually her top teeth are resting on the nipple and it hurts, It also gets under my skin in a very intense way and sometimes I get so so irritated that I can barely stand it. And my nipples get sore. It also doesn't seem to matter to her that there's really very little milk.

I want to do child led weaning, and I know that I can do that and still set limits. But the nursing sessions I want to cu out are all the extended ones.
'
Does anyone have any advice for us?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 2 Old 03-17-2005, 04:03 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My toddler gets a lazy latch sometimes too, and I get teeth marks but luckily no pain. If your dd is slipped off the nipple so far that her teeth touch the nipple not the areola, I wouldn't hesitate one second to unlatch her and ask her to nurse nice. Ds is the same age as your dd and he gets it when I say, nurse nice, open big. He sometimes lets the nipple slip and gets it just behind his front teeth which pinches and chafes me, I treat it same as biting and insist gently that he must latch on right or we will take a break and try again later.

I reduced those looong bedtime nursing sessions by using the Pantley pull-off to get ds to unlatch earlier. It was not a quick fix, it took a few weeks and some nights he would not accept it til I had tried many times, but by the third week he would let go at the touch of my finger without waking. Then I could put him down. I am glad I did that because now he has become able to unlatch earlier and earlier, he will now nurse for 15 min and I can put him down drowsy but awake enough to grab his lovie and blanky and say goodnight.

During the day I will let him go on for longer sessions but there are times like when AF is due that I can't tolerate it going on and on. I use a song or rhyme to measure out how much time he has left, I'll tell him we'll stop when the song is over.

I don't really have any insight into dealing with the new nightwakings, maybe she is teething? Ds is showing signs of it right now, he's drooling constantly.

I know how frustrating it can be, and I think if you can find a way to take the pressure off a little, you'll feel relieved and be able to find a middle ground that meets both your needs and your dd's so that you can reach your goal of CLW. I think we all have to make little adjustments along the way or we'd get so fed up and overwhelmed we'd never make it. hope things improve for you.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page