[HELP] Can't Find WHO Recommendation for 2 Yrs. Plus - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-17-2005, 05:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am arguing with some folks on a corvette board (of all places! :LOL ) about benefits after 12 months.

I can't find the WHO recommendation. ACK!! I need to back up my statements.

SAHPilot Mama to a 5yoson, a 17 mo old daughter, and wife to .
Worried about your baby's head shape? PM me for craniosynostosis info!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2005, 07:06 PM

Breastfeeding is an unequalled way of providing ideal food for the healthy growth and development of infants; it is also an integral part of the reproductive process with important implications for the health of mothers. As a global public health recommendation, infants should be exclusively breastfed1 for the first six months of life to achieve optimal growth, development and health.2 Thereafter, to meet their evolving nutritional requirements, infants should receive nutritionally adequate and safe complementary foods while breastfeeding continues for up to two years of age or beyond. Exclusive breastfeeding from birth is possible except for a few medical conditions, and unrestricted exclusive breastfeeding results in ample milk production.

See also in this connection:

* The Optimal Duration of Exclusive Breastfeeding. A Systematic Review. Geneva, World Health Organization, 2001 (Document WHO/NHD/01.08).

¤ Full text in PDF (English, 1039 KB)
* The Optimal Duration of Exclusive Breastfeeding. Report of an Expert Consultation. Geneva, Switzerland. 28-30 March 2001. World Health Organization, 2001 (Document WHO/NHD/01.09).

¤ Full text in PDF (English, 119 KB)
* Nutrient Adequacy of Exclusive Breastfeeding for the Term Infant During The First Six Months of Life.

¤ Full text in PDF (English, 272 KB)

HTH - My DH wrecked my PC recently and I do not have all my programs up and runnning yet so I di dnot read the PDF's

Julia
Old 03-18-2005, 06:52 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
hi are these documents online? any URL woudl be greatly aprpeciated!!!

no longer  or  or ... dd is going on 12 (!) how was I to know there was a homeschool going on?
Old 03-18-2005, 04:37 PM

http://www.who.int/nut/inf.htm

Quote:
(from the link above) As a global public health recommendation, infants should be exclusively breastfed1 for the first six months of life to achieve optimal growth, development and health.2 Thereafter, to meet their evolving nutritional requirements, infants should receive nutritionally adequate and safe complementary foods while breastfeeding continues for up to two years of age or beyond.
http://www.aafp.org/x6633.xml

Quote:
(from link above from the AAFP) Nursing Beyond Infancy
Breastfeeding should ideally continue beyond infancy, but this is currently not the cultural norm and requires ongoing support and encouragement.85 Breastfeeding during a subsequent pregnancy is not unusual. If the pregnancy is normal and the mother is healthy, breastfeeding during pregnancy is the woman's personal decision. If the child is younger than two years of age, the child is at increased risk of illness if weaned. Breastfeeding the nursing child after delivery of the next child (tandem nursing) may help to provide a smooth transition psychologically for the older child.61
Check THIS out!
http://www.kellymom.com/bf/start/pre...tml#statements

Take the time to heal from your marriage before you move on with someone else. Make a list of all the qualities you would like in a new partner and then work on growing that way yourself. ~mandib50

User Tag List