Why don't books mention babies who start solids "late"? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 03-18-2005, 09:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just curious...
I have noticed that in all the books I have read, including Dr. Sears books, there is never any mention of the occasional baby that doesn't have any interest in solids until the post 1year mark. Why is this? My LLL leader says it is normal and there seem to be quite a few of us here whose babies didn't start at 6 months or even a year...

Have you seen any lit that mentions this?

amy

Mama to DS1 (4/04) DS2 (HBAC 11/06) DS3 (HBAC 12/08) DS4 (HBAC 1/11). Wife to one handsome hard working DH.
#2 of 17 Old 03-18-2005, 11:49 PM

I have been looking for mentions of this as well.

Paige is 16 months old now, and she is just not interested in solids. I often feel very isolated regarding this, as most of the children that we know IRL are very eager eaters (though none of them are still bf-ing...) It kinda makes me feel like a took a wrong turn somewhere... I know that she will start eating sometime...
#3 of 17 Old 03-22-2005, 12:23 AM

I am really interested in this too. Today attempted a little rice cereal with
ds and he and I nearly fenced with spoons. So dd (age three) says
Mommy! Don't do that - he doesn't like rice cereal, he wants mother's milk.
I chuckled and agreed with her, put down the spoon and picked up the babe.
#4 of 17 Old 03-22-2005, 09:24 AM

oh we should start a support group. Kai is almost 9 months and refuses solids. She won't even chew on bread! Actually she gags and sometimes pukes if she eats something. Dh tries ever now and then and we learned this from him trying to feed her.

Mom to 4! Welcomed Aila Wren on Friday, February 25th!
#5 of 17 Old 03-22-2005, 10:22 PM

My now 2 yr old ds refused to be spoon fed- i remember being really stressed out about it. He didn't really start eating any quantity till about 18 months! At this point he seemed interested at least and could feed himself. Prior to 18 months he ate a cracker here and there and maybe some fruit or cheese. He is still picky, but eats pretty well now.
jo
#6 of 17 Old 03-22-2005, 10:42 PM

I know, it would have saved me endless amounts of stress and anxiety had I known that this was okay for a bf'd baby. I was FORCING food down my ds's throat because at 7,8,9,10,11 months he STILL WASN'T wanting more than a tablespoon of solids a day. I thought he was having failure to thrive issues. I think I screwed up his "foodability" long term. I wish someone would write about it.
#7 of 17 Old 03-23-2005, 02:01 AM

There is a brief acknowledgement(sp?) in the AAP's new policy statement on breastfeeding that some children "may not be ready to accept other foods until approximately 8 months of age." (Item 10, 2nd bullet, p499, Pediatrics, Vol 115 #2, February 2005)

I just wish the peds would pay attention to their own policy statements. :LOL

My family: me jog.gif, dh geek.gif, ds reading.gif (11), dd1 hearts.gif (9), and dd2 energy.gif(3).

Tout va s'arranger à la fin. Si elle ne fonctionne pas; ce n'est pas la fin.

#8 of 17 Old 03-23-2005, 11:28 AM
Banned

I too have wondered this. Both my girls, my 5 yr old who self weaned at 26 months old and my now 1 year old who is still nrusing every 2 hours or less, never even looked at solids until a year old. This newest babe now just started a month or so ago and will only nibble in high chair if left to feed herself and doesn't take in much. I trust them to know what tehy need so it isn't an issue....but it would be nice to see it in writing.
#9 of 17 Old 03-26-2005, 03:47 AM

My dd has always been interested in what we're eating, from about 5 mos or so. I introduced a few homemade pureed veggies and what not around 6 mos. However, she never consistently ate them. Mostly just curious. She is 16 mos now and is still primarily bfed. She is very picky. I try offering her whatever we are eating, and she snacks regularly throughout the day. I get so confused because she seems to eat alot of some things (mashed potatoes, creamy potato soups, anything potato). It seems like she is really hungry and ready for solids, but then she won't eat much meat, unless it's chicken in potato soup, and is picky about veggies. She does love fruit, and I never introduced that as a first food. She was only given veggies at first, and now will barely eat them. So we just keep the bfing up in hopes that it's meeting her needs nutritionally. I'm definately not pushing solids on her, I love bfing. But when do they start really eating?

Sure do wish someone would write about this also.
#10 of 17 Old 03-26-2005, 11:45 AM

I wish someone would write about this too! I have lots of good books on feeding babies whole foods, but none of them give a timetable for babies that start at 6 months, let alone later! My DD refuses most foods, likes cheerios but they give her diarrhea/painful gas, and sometimes I feel like I'm failing the Solid Food Test, you know?

I'd be SO up for a support thread. In fact, I came looking for one...

Chelsea
#11 of 17 Old 03-26-2005, 11:55 AM

OMG I thought I was the only one.

DD will be one in a couple of days and is only now starting to accept a (very) little in the way of solids. She will have a litle toast or a little chicken or fish and mayeb knaw on an apple (if you give her the whole thing). She REFUSES point blank to be spoon fed.

Up until she was 9.5 months she gagged or vomited if she attempted to swalow anythign other than milk.

She is still about 95% BF and is still a big baby so no worried there.

It does get a bit depressing though when you see everyone elses babies wolfing down food.

We should start a support thread.

I agree about the books, they make you feel like you are a bad parent if you don't get them eating.
#12 of 17 Old 03-28-2005, 12:52 AM

Halleluja! Happy easter everyone! Is this thread still going?

I'm soo glad to have started using these forums, I have learned so much first hand mama info...My ds is 9 months old and I have had LOADS of stress trying to feed him solids from about 6 months...I have bags of uneaten frozen food cubes in rainbow colors (all the expensive organic stuff) and I don't know how many bowls of rice cereal I've finished...
He's just not interested. He has highchair phobia now. I've given up. Poor boy. Nurses 99% of the time...

I do have a trick though that you guys may want to try...its a little mesh bag for babies that you put food in so they can suck/chew on it. (have you ever seen one?) He likes frozen pear and banana...its takes care of the teething thing too. its about the only thing he'll eat and it only amounts to about a tablespoon a day.

I also had a friend who just weaned her dd at 2 years and she has only JUST started eating! So don't stress, there's plenty of us out there!

I would love some of those ''experts'' to say its okay!

luv Alison mama to baby Joshua aka "the JO BOY"
#13 of 17 Old 03-28-2005, 11:03 AM

I am glad this is still here. Consider this our support thread!

Kai won't even accept the taste of something. If any flavour other than BM passes her lips she starts to gag I don't even bother offering anything anymore. She just turned 9 months and I am wondering if I should try again or when I should try again.

How often do you offer? And if she can't do spoon-fed stuff than should we even try cheerios or anything? I am at a loss! My DS was an awesome eater.

Mom to 4! Welcomed Aila Wren on Friday, February 25th!
#14 of 17 Old 03-28-2005, 11:36 AM

We offer something once a week. I talked to our ped about it at her 9month appointment and the ped didn't 1) think there was any cause for concern yet (nice to hear) and 2) thought a few weeks between foods she didn't like was OK. My DD loves cheerios but they give her indigestion. I try to give her mostly finger foods when I offer food to her, but I also try spoon foods too. I think she's had maybe a tablespoon combined of food since we started offering solids.

Question: do you give your babies water or anything else from a cup? We've been giving DD water so she can practice drinking, but I have been unsure about whether at this age she can have "too much." I know its an issue for younger babies, and I do worry if she "fills up" on water that it will throw her eating rhythm off, OTOH, she's gotta just be thirsty sometimes, right? I've been erring on the side of not giving her much.

Glad to know we are not alone.
#15 of 17 Old 03-28-2005, 01:20 PM

I am so glad I read this! Dd will be a year in a few weeks, and we are in the same boat. She really has no interest in babyfood. She prefers the spoon to teeth on. She will eat a cheerio or puffed rice, but usually only if I put it in her mouth.....and then only if she really wants it. She will eat a tiny piece of muffin or bread (tiny....I mean, hardly any) off my finger. I also decided not to worry since she is about 25 pounds and nursing like a champ. I am dreading her yearly check-up, as the ped said that a one year old should be "eating" three meals and two snacks a day. Yeah....not really happening here. Dd will be starting daycare fulltime in Aug.....so I will start making a more consistent effort come May....hopefully she'll make the transition.

As far as drinks, we do offer her water from a cup, usually ours. She loves this and usually initiates it. She probably takes two or three sips and then is on to something else. If we are outside in the sun or she has been really active I will let her drink more. At this point, I'm not worried about my supply or her caloric intake, so I figure it won't harm her.

Again....love to know we're not alone!

Happy Mommy to one amazing girl (6y) and one sweet boy (2y), and wife to DH since 7/03 : :
#16 of 17 Old 03-28-2005, 01:46 PM

My dd is an recent graduate of the non-eaters club at eighteen months of age she is VERY PICKY!!! Toast, apple, Tofu Dogs, boca patties and occasionally carrots the only food she eats with any gusto is pizza. I forced spoonfuls of stuff in her mouth to get her to at least taste food which led to fear of spoons and high chairs. Seems to me she was more willing to eat finger foods that were similar in texture. I feel for all you mamas out there. I also noticed Aiyana eats way better with a herd of children! :LOL She is still mostly BF and nurses ALOT at night which also seems to be a trait amongst non-eaters.

Nursing student, (LAST SEMESTER!!!)Cloth diapering, cosleeping, breastfeeding mama to 4!!!
#17 of 17 Old 03-31-2005, 08:42 AM

Me too, me too! My ds #3 just turned 2 yesterday and has only just recently (past few weeks) started to try our food. He is funny in what he will even try. He refuses to even look at something that might contain iron or protein and that does concern me. He will eat yogurt and drink milk, but as he says "no like beans". He won't attempt to even lick any type of meat. I have tried the veggie breakfast sausages that his brothers love and on occasion he will try those. I really only worry about his iron level. He is 26-27 lbs and very healthy. I know he's fine, but still............... I didn't even get AF back until he was 22m old! That was nice! Ds #2 didn't eat until 18m, but he would atleast try food! He loved to put it in his mouth, chew it up, and then spit every bit of it out. Lovely : Me ped says that as long as he is growing and happy not to worry. I really am not, but it's nice to hear that other people have the same issue. It seems as though we are the only ones with this food thing! Thanks for this thread!
Kathy

momma to 4!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page