Newly pregnant- sad to wean - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 03-21-2005, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My son is 21 months old and I just found out I am pg. I am worrying about him weaning. I think I am ready- and would like a break- but I am kinda sad- that he is not going to be my baby anymore.....

The roller coaster of emotions is already beginning!
Anyone been through this?
Emilie
#2 of 8 Old 03-21-2005, 09:53 AM

Are you sad because you think he will wean if and when your supply diminishes, or because you feel you have to wean him because you're pregnant?

On #1, I got pregnant when my ds was 21 months and although my supply eventually tanked, it didn't bother him any! I set limits on his nursing because it was physically uncomfortable, but he continued to nurse and is now tandem nursing with his baby sister.

On #2, there's no reason to wean just because you're pregnant. Check out the amazing book Adventures in Tandem Nursing by Hilary Flowers, excerpts of which are at www.kellymom.com

Your 21 month old is still your baby and always will be! His life is definitely going to change with the arrival of a new sibling, but he doesn't have to be the big brother yet, or grow up too fast.

Good luck, mama! Congratulations!

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

#3 of 8 Old 03-21-2005, 10:00 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks I needed to hear that. It just feels different now. NO I know that I can nurse and be pg- I am just worried I'll lose the milk and he will stop.
Em
#4 of 8 Old 03-21-2005, 10:36 AM

I just want to chime in and say that my DD was close to your sons age when I became pregnant with my 3rd child (well, she was 23 months old) and my milk supply did decrease a lot by the end of the 1st trimester, but she was very dedicated and continued nursing throughout the whole pregnancy. The decrease didn't seem to bother her at all and now she is tandeming with her baby sister.
#5 of 8 Old 03-21-2005, 11:30 AM

I felt like you when I first got pregnant with Joe. I cried for days, worried that Alec would wean. Not only did he not wean, he actually nursed MORE when I was pregnant, probably trying to increase my milk supply. Everyone said that it would hurt to nurse while pregnant, but it really didn't for me. At times it was uncomfortable, but not really *painful*.

Now that I'm tandem nursing a 3.5-year old and an 8-week old, I have to say that I wish he had weaned while I was pregnant. I really don't like tandem nursing. If he were the age of your ds, though, I would probably not feel this way; 21 months is still such a baby!

Does your ds nurse for comfort as well as for milk? Alec nurses a lot for comfort (even more, now that there's the bonus of milk as well! :LOL ). I would bet that kids who nurse for comfort will continue to nurse through the pregnancy more than those who nurse mainly for the milk. Good luck to you, no matter what happens!

Homeschooling mom to four kids, ages 18, 18, 10, and 6. 

#6 of 8 Old 03-21-2005, 03:53 PM - Thread Starter

He nurses for both comfort and food.
Thank you all!
Emilie
#7 of 8 Old 03-21-2005, 04:03 PM

Have nursed through several pregnancies. Have lost my milk totally around ?6 or ?7 months. Before that, I think the milk changed taste almost immediately, because each time I figured out about the pregnancy by the nursers getting a little testy with me while they nursed. Which I found thoroughly fascinating.

Anyway, they all nursed all the way through, and then they all tandem nursed with the new baby.

And the best best best best best best thing in the world is when your new-baby milk comes in, and your toddler, who's been sucking on air for months and weeks and months and doesn't even remember, probably, what drinking actual milk from the breast is like, suddenly nurses and drinks ... and oh man I do love that first reaction ... the reaction to the sudden reappearance of the milk is priceless, every time.

Don't worry about weaning. If your little one wants to, he will. But just as likely he won't.

#8 of 8 Old 03-22-2005, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by merpk
And the best best best best best best thing in the world is when your new-baby milk comes in, and your toddler, who's been sucking on air for months and weeks and months and doesn't even remember, probably, what drinking actual milk from the breast is like, suddenly nurses and drinks ... and oh man I do love that first reaction ... the reaction to the sudden reappearance of the milk is priceless, every time.
Just FYI, your description of this moment in previous posts is one of the things that helped keep me going when nursing during my pregnancy was not so fun! (Like a PP said, it wasn't painful so much as uncomfortable - but sometimes a fingernails-on-chalkboard type of uncomfortable).

DS was definitely when the milk came back - like, oh yeah, THAT's what this is all about!

Come visit the NEW QuirkyBaby website -- earn QB Bucks rewards points for purchases, reviews, referrals, and more! Free US shipping on great brands of baby slings and carriers and FREE BabyLegs or babywearing mirror on orders of $100+. Take the QB Quiz for personalized advice!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page