What should I do? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-22-2005, 02:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Why is there so much pressure to wean as soon as the baby hits one??? Noel turned one a few weeks ago and I've had so many people start saying things to me..

"You can't nurse forever" "She'll get too dependent" It's driving me crazy..

Today I went to the dr and he wanted to put me on weight meds and cholesterol medicine..I was recently diagnosed with low thyroid and I'm on meds for that..I don't want to go on anything else anyway..

The dr told me that women shouldn't nurse past one because I'd be creating an unhealthy dependency..He made me feel really bad about it..

I know Noel isn't ready and I don't think I'm ready..DH is fine with me nursing so why is this so wierd????? DS didn't nurse past a year so maybe it's just the newness of nursing a "toddler" instead of a baby..

I dunno..Am I messing her up for life by nursing this long? Help!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 03-22-2005, 04:01 AM

There is nothing wrong with nursing past 1 year! Your instincts are leading you in the right direction. You should only stop if you are ready to, not because someone else is ready for you to! Espicially someone (dr) who only sees you a couple times a year and probably got 2 hours of breastfeeding training in his whole life. I think some people confuse dependancy with comfort. You are the mommy, and you are right!
#3 of 6 Old 03-22-2005, 11:19 AM

check out Jack Newman's handouts on reasons to bf a toddler at kellymom.com -- he's one of (if not the) leading expert on bfing in N America and he's a pediatrician (for those who must rely on docs for advice).

I weaned dd at 23 months because I was pregnant. Two weeks later, she got her first cold ever! She's very healthy, outgoing, etc. She is clearly not dependent on me because she nursed past a year. When I was younger, my SIL nursed my nephew until he was about 1 1/2 and my niece until 3 years. I was young and naive and thought she was nuts. My nephew and niece are now 16 and 10 and are great kids - well-behaved, smart, healthy, independent, etc. Of course, this is not due only to being bf and raised AP but clearly, bfing past a year didn't hurt them.

Unfortunately, in most places in the US you'll need a thick skin to nurse a toddler but it is well worth it!
#4 of 6 Old 03-22-2005, 12:11 PM

Hand your doctor the newest AAP statements regarding bf.

Or whack him with it, whichever you prefer.
#5 of 6 Old 03-22-2005, 03:51 PM
ETW

Your doctor is a nut! DS just had his one year well-baby checkup and our ped asked "So he's nursing, what, every 3-4 hours?" as if that was the "norm" that she expected. The WHO recommends nursing for at least 2 years.
#6 of 6 Old 03-22-2005, 06:39 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Just as doctors are apt to encourage BF if they or their partner did, so too will they encourage weaning at whatever age. And since babies don't need formula/bottle after 1 year, they don't *need* BF, according to some drs.

It is very difficult when your doctor, someone whom you're usually respect and look to for information gives out the wrong advice.

I'd say take a copy of the AAP's new guidelines w/ the relevant areas highlighted. There are some women who will think that this dr. knows what he/she is talking about and he/she should know the real story.

Good luck,
Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page