HELP with night weaning - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-22-2005, 01:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I feel like I am floundering a bit ...I have a 25 month old Ds and a 6 week old ds. I didn't night wean DS1 while i was PG because he seemed to be going in that direction any way but he has changed his mind. Now it is very stressful for me when he wakes and wants to nurse because inevitably the baby is already nursing. When he has to wait sometimes he fusses a bit then falls asleep before ds2 is done but other times its an all out screaming session till I cave. The biggest stressor for me is that to nurse him I have to turn my back to the baby and this makes me very worried. Its funny people keep asking how the baby and I are sleeping but its my toddler that keping me awake at night Does anyone have any helpful hints? BTW dh works 4 nights a week so he is only there to help 3 nights aweek

dust.gifmama to  ds2/03 ds2/05 dd4/07 and expecting someone new in the spring! chicken3.gif

#2 of 6 Old 03-22-2005, 10:47 AM

Can your partner start sleeping with the toddler and you stay with the babe for the time being. That is how we night weaned out toddler and it went smoothly. He was psyched to just sleep with Dad and I got to hog the big bed. It worked for us because I think DS was ready. he still nurses during the day, but he transitioned very easily into not nursing at night. It has been wonderful for everyone. DS sleeps more, I sleep more and even Dad sleeps more. Also, DS really eats some great nutritious food when he gets up int he AM now. He was never much of an eater before.
Not an idea for everyone- especially those who can;t imagine sleeping separate from their partner. We had no problem with it and it is going great.
#3 of 6 Old 03-22-2005, 11:03 AM

Because of my back issues, I have taken to nursing my 21 mo DS on my back. This way I don't have to turn from side to side. It is a little more work for him to get into position but he certainly prefers it over not nursing at all (which by the way is certainly not an option as far as he is concerned!).
#4 of 6 Old 03-22-2005, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama Coltrane
Can your partner start sleeping with the toddler and you stay with the babe for the time being.
Thhanks for responding mama, ds does sleep with dh when dh is not working and not up at night but thats rare since DH works 4 nights 5pm to 7 am. He also has to keep a night sched. even when he's off to keep from going nuts.

Sprawlmg how does your DS get out of that position mine wakes if he rolls off the pillow even though its just a few inches.

dust.gifmama to  ds2/03 ds2/05 dd4/07 and expecting someone new in the spring! chicken3.gif

#5 of 6 Old 03-22-2005, 05:29 PM

Usually my arm is under him supporting his head. When he is done and I know he is limp-asleep, I gently slide it out, sometimes first placing my other hand lightly on his head so that contact is maintained. If he is on top of me, it's a bit more complicated. If he is limp-asleep, I can gently just move him into position by kind of rolling him off while holding him. I think the trick is keeping gentle contact and moving slowly. If he starts to stir, I stop, wait, and then start again.
#6 of 6 Old 03-22-2005, 05:33 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
I recently nightweaned my 2.5 y.o. b/c I'm pregnant & due w/ #2 in June. I started by telling her 4 or so nights before that we were going to let mommy's breasts sleep and that we would nurse before we went to bed and when the sun wakes us up. It has surprised me, but she's done pretty well. Now, the last few days, she's been waking me at 6am (sunrise) and staying attached until we get up, which is no fun for me, but at least it's not all night long.

Perhaps, if you prepare your ds for the changes, he may handle it better? I know that tehre were a few times before we started this that in the middle of the night I decided I couldnt' take it and she would scream and be up for hours. This hasn't happened since we agreed to "let mommy's breasts sleep." Now, this phrase may not work for you b/c your ds knows the baby is going to nurse at night, but you could probably come up w/ something.

Good luck, sleep deprivation is very difficult and I hope that things get better for you soon.

Sus

Baby the babies while they're babies so they don't need babying for a lifetime.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page