dolphin show today - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-22-2005, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Not sure where exactly to put this, but "BFing Beyond Infancy" works just as well as anywhere, I guess, lol.

I took the kids to the zoo today and we saw the dolphin show. One of the dolphins is pregnant, she has a almost two year old calf already. My dd is obsessed with the fact that there is a baby and a mama dolphin. She remembers when this one was born, we have a book about a baby dolphin and one of the pages is "baby dolphin drinks her mother's milk" with a picture of the baby right up against the mama. She is always on the lookout for the baby nursing. I just assumed that if the mother is pregnant again, she wasn't still nursing, having no idea how long dolphins nurse normally, and assuming the trainers would try to stop them once she was pregnant again. When they were introducing the dolphins, they said the youngest one was, "well, I guess she's still technically a calf, since she's still nursing from her mother. Dolphins nurse from their mothers until they are 3-6 years old, even if there are more calves born in that time." Yay!! Then later, they said, "Dolphins are mammals because they give birth to live young and nurse on their mothers, JUST LIKE PEOPLE." (my emphasis) I was soooo excited to hear that being said, so normally, especially since I was sitting there nursing my own 1 yo. Dd got all crazy wanting to watch the dolphins nursing, but I told her maybe they only did it when no one was watching in privacy, since I have never seen them do it and there are two separate pools that the dolphins have access to at any point. Just wanted to share, mods, if you think this should go in TAO instead, let me know/feel free to move it. Maybe Advocacy? Just don't know, haha.

R~mama to 3

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 03-26-2005, 06:17 PM

Rebecca, this is a great story you have shared! I think it's great that your dd is following the mama dolphin nursing her baby soon to be babies. And great that you were nursing in the audience!
my kids love to see cows nursing their calves. They identify with it and that makes nursing even more normal to them. They think it's not normal when a mom does not nurse!!
great job to the trainers for pointing out what being a mammal is all about, even in humans!
#3 of 3 Old 03-30-2005, 11:44 AM

Great, great story!!!!!!!!!!!!

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page