was your child distractable as an infant? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-26-2005, 04:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hello,
my 6 month old dd is a very distractible nurser, and has been this way for at least two months. if your older baby was distractable as an infant, how long did it take for this to go away (if ever)? i am wondering when we'll be able to nurse out in the open again, rather than always retreating to a dark, quiet room!
thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 03-26-2005, 10:26 PM

This is normal. My babe was this way, as are many (most?) others.

It never really went away for us. It went away a little bit. He will NIP when really hungry, but not usually for very long.

I've learned to find a quiet space or fill up in the car before we go home when I think he's hungry. I have to second guess him a little because when he's distracted, he doesn't always tell me -- and then he's ripe for a meltdown as soon as the distraction's taken away.
#3 of 4 Old 03-29-2005, 03:31 PM

DS is also 6 mo. (today!) and nursing him is insane now! I took for granted the days when I didn't have to miss out on things just because he needs to eat. Now I have to go to a dark, completely quiet room with no toys in it. (does this room exist??) The thing I am missing is the opportunity to show people that it's normal to bf. It is a foreign concept to my family, since I'm the first one to try. I think now they think it's weird since I have to leave to do it. It sure makes the advocacy thing hard!

Also, it draws more attention to the fact that he needs to eat, inviting comments like "here, I'll give him some of my potato, or onion, or cheeseburger, etc." They don't believe me that DS rejects all solids, saying that I "just want to keep him a baby forever." Hello! He's only 6 mos. today!

Busy mama to 4 boys, M 9/04, E 4/06, our angel baby N (passed 10/09 at 1 day old) & newbie C, 12/10
#4 of 4 Old 03-30-2005, 05:32 PM

Heck yeah, this was totally ds #1! It took I think about four months for him to be really grown out of it, so I guess about 8 months old.

With ds #2 I got the knack of nursing him in the sling early on, and it turned out that distraction was not a problem.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page