Question on being away from DD.. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-31-2005, 02:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DD is almost 13 months old and still nursing first thing in the morning, before her nap and right before bed..She eats well and takes a sippy cup..She doesn't nurse to sleep..She just nurses then falls asleep on her own in the crib..

In mid July we're supposed to go to a wedding and my mom has volunteered to watch the kids so we can get away for a night or two..I was wondering how a 16 month old might deal with this..

I'm not "planning" on weaning her at all..But if she did wean at that point I'd be okay since we want to get pregnant again in the fall or spring..

So if we left on say Friday morning and came back Saturday night do you think she'd be okay and still want to nurse or would this up end everything? I would like to keep nursing for as long as she'd like..But I'd love at least one night away to celebrate our anniversary..Thanks!

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2005, 03:41 AM

Sounds like you have two issues here...one about leaving your daughter in general and one about how a trip might affect your breastfeeding relationship.

At this stage of her nursing life, you may need to leave your decision for a few weeks (poss. a few days) away from the wedding. She's still changing so much, you may find that your now "predictable" nurser may become unpredictable and newborn-ish in a few months, and you being away for a night may be very hard for her at that time. You also may find, whether her nursing is the same then or not, that when you return she may want to nurse very frequently, because she may feel a need to reconnect.

How do you really feel about going? Are you comfortable leaving her? Has your mom looked after DD before? Is DD comfortable being with grandma? If not, maybe some short babysitting sessions w/grandma will help prepare her?

I guess the short answer is, now may be too early to plan your trip. Play it by ear and see if you can make your decisions closer to July. You'll know what to do then. Best wishes!
Old 03-31-2005, 03:12 PM

I'm sure everything will be fine. I'd do an overnight with Grandma once or twice before the wedding, since it will be for a slightly extended period of time. I don't know what your nursing relationship is like, but if she's as in love with it as my DD is, she'll jump right back on when you see her again. We just went 4 days w/out nursing and she's back at it again. Get out and have fun!
Old 03-31-2005, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the input..

Her being needy or wanting to nurse more after I come back wouldn't be a problem..I'm ready to nurse for as long as she needs it..I'd just really like at least one night away with my hubby..

She has stayed with my mom before but not overnight..My mom lives in another state so overnights to "practice" won't be possible since I won't even see my mom again until this trip..But they were just here to visit and DD was all over her the whole time..I have left her all day (over 14 hours) with my MIL and she was fine..She didn't even "ask" to nurse when she saw me..I just offered and she accepted..

Thanks again for the advice..I'll play it by ear and see what happens..

Stacey reading.gif Happy wife to Rick coolshine.gif ,homeschooling Mama to Jacob, Noel, Joanna jumpers.gif  and a sweet stork-girl.gif due in the Spring!
Old 03-31-2005, 03:22 PM

Is your MIL in town? Maybe DD can have a couple of overnights with her. Even if she doesn't, I'm sure she'll be fine, since they have such a great relationship. We all need a chance to let loose every now & again.

User Tag List