Going away for five days - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 04-05-2005, 04:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have 18mo twins that I'm still nursing, and I have to go away for five days in two months' time. I don't want to completely wean but in preparation I'd like to reduce feedings and I'm hoping when I come back we can get to 1x/day (bedtime).

Has anyone else gone away for this length of time, and can you tell me how much I would have to express in order to keep some sort of supply happening? I'm assuming it could build up again on my return if need be ... ?

Thanks!

Joan
#2 of 3 Old 04-06-2005, 11:04 PM

The World Health Organization recommends breastfeeding for at least 2 years. You may be risking premature weaning by being away from your twins. There are many important reasons for children to breastfeed between the age of 1 and 2 and human milk should still be an important part of a toddler's diet.

There are components of the milk between age 1 and 2 that are higher to meet the child's changing needs. I would never recommend weaning before 2 or nursing as little as one time a day. This is not a life-style choice but an important health decision that will have life long consequences for you and your children. For optimal facial and jaw development it may take breastfeeding for 3 years and not just one time a day. The number of years breastfeeding will impact your children's risk of heart disease, the number one killer of Americans. The longer you breastfeed the lower your risk of breast cancer.

: Grandmother , 3 Adult Sons

#3 of 3 Old 04-11-2005, 12:11 AM

If I were you I'd prepare myself that they may well wean after such a long separation. 18-24 mo is prime early weaning time for toddlers, and even if they're drinking your milk from a cup while you're gone, they may not resume nursing. Breastfeeding fills an emotional need at this age, it's less about the milk itself, although the milk still does have enormous benefits for them.

Actually if I were you I'd a) postpone or cancel the trip or b) find a way to take them along. But like the previous poster, I have strong feelings about preserving the nursing relationship well into childhood, and you may not feel that way, or you may be ready to wean them. These are very personal decisions.

Good luck.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page